Do you use tables for every dive?

How often do you use the RDP tables?

• every single dive!

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • used for the first 5 or 10, not anymore.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • never used them once past certification.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • can't even remember how to use them.

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Gillcash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am curious. Do you use the RDP to plan your dives and check afterwards to see if you're still within rec limits?

I am doing this as a poll for recreational (non-professional) RDP users, not for computers users.

In other words, you've been trained to use the tables and have not purchased a dive computer.

Back before I got a dive computer, which was a long time ago...
If I were doing a dive beyond 30' in depth. I calculated tables every single time. Unless it was a dive I had done hundreds of times and I knew the depth and run time like the back of my hand.

I don't need to look at tables now to know how long I can stay at 60'.

And these days. I use a computer.

As PADI no longer requires the use of tables for certification, I never learned as part of my training, but worked with my instructor to learn them on the side.

I do not use tables for any dives really, as my computer handles my NDL's (and gives me much more time because my dives very seldom have square profile). I have a full set of tables in the back of my logbook for practice, or as a backup in case both my computers crap out and I still have some diving left to do.

I occasionally work out a few dives with them to avoid becoming complacent, but it's largely a moot point for many new divers with computers.

I voted before seeing that it is for non pros. I was trained tables only (Nov. '05 cert.). Many of my shore dives don't exceed 30', so I use the RDP only after those dives to enter stuff in the log just for the heck of it. Deeper dives I have the Air depths NDLs memorized but I do check after the first of 2 boat dives to be sure of my available bottom time for the 2nd dive. Don't have the various nitrox tables memorized. I also use the computer for anything below 40-50'. Most of my dives, shallow or deep, are square profile. The odd time that I wind up doing a true multi level dive I just leave the pressure group entries in my log book blank. The eRDPml is pretty useless when trying to calculate a multi level dive that doesn't see you at specific levels--ei. you are pretty much gradually ascending after reaching the deepest point. But yes, one way or another I use the RDP on every dive.

When I first started to dive I didn't use a computer. My first dives were in Belize and very much multi level. I'd look at table after two dives and realize I exceeded NDL according to the table rules. These were "trust me" dives that the DM with a computer knew what he was doing. Never again I decided and bought a computer. Never used tables again.

I use tables to plan and a Personal Dive Computer to execute the dive. If the tables and PDC disagree I go with the most conservative of the two. There are dives that I've done so many times I don't need to use either, for those dives the PDC as a backup works fine.

I am curious. Do you use the RDP to plan your dives and check afterwards to see if you're still within rec limits?

I am doing this as a poll for recreational (non-professional) RDP users, not for computers users.

In other words, you've been trained to use the tables and have not purchased a dive computer.
1. Started with RDP.
2. Switched to The Wheel after AOW.
3. Finally computer.

Yes...for 25 years, but have been using my computer for the last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom