Do you use a weight belt or integrated pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too use a weight belt. I also dive a BP/W have around 6lbs, local, on my back and the balance, 11lbs on my weight belt. I like this set up as all my weight is not in one place, also weight is more evenly balanced i.e not all on pivot point. When I dove a BC I wore 26lbs on a weight belt and it was dreadfully uncomfortable.

Pocket belt for me. That's what I learned with, and that's what I dive with. My wife, who was certified several years after I was, has an integrated BC, and the weight pockets interfere with putting anything in the pockets of the BC, whereas I can put a slate, reel and sausage, spare light, and other stuff in my BC pockets, with room to spare.

I use a weight belt. It's easy for me, because I have hips. I prefer not to have all the weight hanging from my shoulders, too.

I started with a pocketed belt, and then had a 5 lb soft weight work its way out of one of the corners during a dive, resulting in an "interesting" ascent (thank God for kelp stipes). Then I went to shaped hard weights on a webbing belt, until Dumpster Diver took it upon himself to SEND me a rubber belt. I love it. More comfortable, more secure, but very easy to release.

My husband won't wear a belt, because he has no hips. But he doesn't like integrated weights, either, so he uses a weight harness.

I have a SS backplate with 6lbs of lead bolted into the STA.
I need a few more lbs, and where I put the balance depends upon my mood and what the day's activity is.

Usually I split it between cam band pockets and pockets mounted on the waist band of my harness.
Sometimes I put it on a traditional weightbelt, most often if I am diving on a boat where I know that I will be wanting to hand up my rig rather than wear it up on the ladder. It's damn heavy with all of that weight attached.

I think it depends a lot on the gear and type of diving. We see most new recreational divers using integrated and many of the new BC designs have very functional weight pockets. My main BC is an Aqualung Balance and I find the integrated weights work very well. I'm a rather thin guy (170 lbs) so I can dive salt water in a 5 mil with 16 lbs or less (typically 14 lbs). For larger people or more buoyant gear requiring 20+ lbs I would recommend a belt or splitting it up between integrated and a belt.

I use integrated. With a belt I was always worried about it coming off by accident. I only do boat diving, so long walks are not an issue. And I'll take the weights out of the pockets in the water if the boat crew prefers, since I hand up my gear before climbing the ladder, due to my bad back.

I have been diving an OMS IQ with a DR Rec wing, A XS HP100 with 22lbs of lead in intergraded pockets. I mainly use a drysuit. I am going to be switching to a SS BP/w. By adding a 6lb plate I will be down to 16lbs of lead. Can anyone recommend the best way to distribute the 16 lbs? 10lbs on a rubber belt and 6lbs tank weights? or keep 6lbs in the intergraded pockets? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again for your time,

Those of you that use a rubber weight belt, Is this the type of belt and buckle you would recommend?

That type of buckle is supposed to be a good one.
I use this belt:
Rob Allen weight belt.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom