Do you use a weight belt or integrated pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was hoping to hear from everyone about what type of weight system they use and why. Also, why do you not like to use other weight systems?

Belts, intergraded, weight harness,

Thank you for your time,

I was hoping to hear from everyone about what type of weight system they use and why. Also, why do you not like to use other weight systems?

Belts, intergraded, weight harness,

Thank you for your time,

i prefer my weight belt. it makes taking my bc from point A to point B a lot easier because i carry the weight on my hips. my dive body complains that his integrated weights put a lot of strain on his shoulders and back when having to walk to far away dive sites on the beach etc.

another reason i use a weight belt is because i can use it for free diving, or what ever else i may need 12 lb of wait for. (walking on the bottom of hotel pools for example.)

as far as in the water goes, the only thing i can complain about the weight belt is that it tends to move from where i originally put it (spins). also ive seen alot of people jump off the dive boat and have there weights fall off, but that's probably there fault.

dumping the weight i think is also easier, some bcds have some stubborn clips, at least one or 2 ive seen

i vote weight belt.

weightbelt. A rubber one made for freedivers; makes all the difference in the world..

Another BP/W user with a rubber weight belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a weight belt. It's a rubber free diving style, I like the way it fits.
I also dive a BP/W. I could use integrated weight style pockets on the waist belt, but I prefer the rubber belt.

My wife has Dive Rite weight pockets on her single rig and prefers them to using a weight belt, so it's just personal preference.

What I didn't like about integrated weight pockets when I had them (Mares Icon, and Scuba Pro Knight hawk) was that when I only need 3 or 4 lbs. in each pocket, the weights would shift around inside of the weight holder. If I remember correctly, the weight pockets would hold 16 lbs. apiece.

The take up a lot of space on your waist, especially since (in my case) they were only holding a 3 lb. brick each.

* When I needed more weight, I would lay 3 ea. 2 lb. bricks side-by-side and zip tie them together. This way they formed a 6 lb. rectangular brick that would fill the pocket better and minimize shifting around.

-Mitch

my weight belt is neoprene, thats probably y it spins

You have a nylon wt belt with pockets made of wetsuit material? Those are supposed to be more comfortable, they are not and they slide around terribly and half the time people have the buckle behind them trapped under the tank. If I had a choice between that and integrated weights.. I would put the lead in my BC.

You have a nylon wt belt with pockets made of wetsuit material? Those are supposed to be more comfortable, they are not and they slide around terribly and half the time people have the buckle behind them trapped under the tank. If I had a choice between that and integrated weights.. I would put the lead in my BC.

yep, it usualy in my side, still easy to get off, but every once in a while it does a whole 180 and ends behind. i manage. no integrated weights on my bc.

I use both. Most of my weights, however, are in my pocket weight belt. Why? Because several times, over the years, I have needed to take my BCD off to repair a freeflowing rear purge valve. If all the weights were in the BCD, there would have been BAD buoyancy issues. I like knowing I can take my gear off, for whatever reason, and not try to shoot to the surface. Also, I hate to have the boat crew have to handle such heavy equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom