Do you take Malaria Prophylaxis?

What do you do about Malaria risks on trips...?

• I check CDC recommendations and follow them.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • I look, then decide for myself.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don't bother.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Malaria risk is part of the adventure.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I've already had Malaria.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I don't sleep around.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
For Yucatan, Belize, Roatan, Canada...?

The CDC has different suggestions for different areas, depending on strains of Malaria possible. Fortunately, Canada is not on the list...

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malinfo.htm

I got my pills from my pharmacist, with a physician's prescription. Some got them over the internet, without either...

No malaria troubles in the Yucatan and I have been here for nearly 8 years.

In Asia, I would occasionally carry Larium on trips to the boonies, I never took it regularly as there are weird side effects, but I would take a double dose if I ever felt feverish.

With Malaria, and the medico's on the board may be able to confirm this, some propholactics can mask the symptoms for some time. It is better to get the symptoms, then get good quality medical care FAST to minimise the damage.

I don't go to places where they have Malaria.

That said, when I was deployed to Central and South America, I took my pills.

DandyDon:
Do you take Malaria Prophylaxis?

Took chloroquine per doc's advice before traveling to Honduras...and used DEET mixed with bug spray while there...didn't have any problems at all.

Related article on antimalaria drug Mefloquine...

Veterans' Affairs Alerts Doctors to Malaria-Drug Concerns
The Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) is warning doctors to watch for long-term mental problems and other health effects from an antimalaria drug given to soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The drug is mefloquine, known by the brand name Lariam, which has been given to tens of thousands of soldiers since the war on terrorism began. Some of those soldiers say it has provoked severe mental and physical problems, including suicidal and violent behavior, psychosis, convulsions and balance disorders. Last year the Food and Drug Administration began warning that problems might last "long after" someone stops taking it. more...

Glad we don't take that for Central America strains...

As regards Lariam, here is an unedited version of a piece from my "Ask RSD" column in the Nov 1999 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"Lariam (mefloquine) is a very effective drug in preventing and treating malaria, but can give rise to unwanted side effects, including vivid & disquieting dreams, hallucinations, anxiety, depression, confusion and forgetfulness. The US package insert directs that "...caution should be exercised with regard to driving, piloting an airplane, and operating machinery as dizziness, a disturbed sense of balance, neurological or psychiatric reaction have been reported during and following the use of Lariam," and states that "dizziness, sensory & motor abnormalities, headache and fatigue have been recorded in patient's taking the drug." These cautions are consistent with suggestions by some in the medical and dive communities that mefloquine may produce side effects which mimic DCS. Interestingly, the German package insert adds it should not be used for "certain activities which have a need for full attention and undisturbed motor activity," with a specific direction that pilots should not use Lariam for the prevention of malaria during their work.

Of most concern to the diver are the positions of some medical professionals that the drug simply should not be taken for malaria prophylaxis by those who are actively diving. These sources include Rodale's Diving Doc," Dr. Samuel Shelanski, and the German Society for Tropical Diseases. This later group, whose policies can be used as a basis for professional and legal action in cases of harm resulting from a physician's failure to follow them, states that people with a special need for three-dimensional orientation, for example pilots, scuba divers and others, should not take mefloquine as prophylaxis. Similar advice regarding scuba diving is provided by Dr Bridget Farham, B.Sc (hons), Ph.D, MB.ChB., an expert on tropical medicines, and appears in the package insert accompanying mefloquine dispensed in South Africa.

The above information suggests it would be prudent to take this drug only after detailed discussion with a physician who is fully aware of its current status, and to closely monitor for any adverse reaction."

Since this was written, the FDA has come out with a medication guide for Lariam http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00921.html

There are alternatives that are best discussed with a tropical medicine expert. Which one is preferred depends on where the travel is, intercurrent diseases one may have, drug sensitivities & other factors. Malarone http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/malaria/malarone.htm is a new drug that is sometimes prescribed in place of Lariam.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hope you found this informative.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom