Do you still use a SPG with a AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving with 2 AI computers (one on each arm) and a console with compass. The entire console (SPG, depth gauge, compass) was doubly redundant (or would that be redundantly redundant) so it is now in the SAD bag along with spare transmitter. I have the transmitter on left side, same as primary computer, but have had it on the other side without any loss of signal to either computer.

I totally agree with this. I LOVE the OLED of my Perdix especially on night dives.
Cheers - M²

When diving 2 AI wrist mounts (sans SPG), were you sharing a transmitter or did you use two transmitters for redundancy? The reason I ask is that I already have an i450T w/shearwater transmitter, but I plan to buy a perdix ai as an early Christmas present and use both computers.. at least for a while.

When diving 2 AI wrist mounts (sans SPG), were you sharing a transmitter or did you use two transmitters for redundancy? The reason I ask is that I already have an i450T w/shearwater transmitter, but I plan to buy a perdix ai as an early Christmas present and use both computers.. at least for a while.
I use the same transmitter for both computers. A transmitter transmits. It doesn't care how many receivers (Dive Computers) receive the signal. Since the Shearwater transmitter is the same as the AquaLung as the Oceanic as the Hollis as the (a couple more that I can't think of), it will transmit to the i450 and the Perdix AI. My two transmitters are an Oceanic and an AquaLung. My computers are Shearwater and Hollis. Works fine.
Cheers - M²
p.s. - I'm thinking about getting another transmitter (3rd one) to have as redundant redundancy. I still have the console in the Save-A-Dive kit. - M²

I use the same transmitter for both computers. A transmitter transmits. It doesn't care how many receivers (Dive Computers) receive the signal. Since the Shearwater transmitter is the same as the AquaLung as the Oceanic as the Hollis as the (a couple more that I can't think of), it will transmit to the i450 and the Perdix AI. My two transmitters are an Oceanic and an AquaLung. My computers are Shearwater and Hollis. Works fine.
Cheers - M²
p.s. - I'm thinking about getting another transmitter (3rd one) to have as redundant redundancy. I still have the console in the Save-A-Dive kit. - M²

Perfect, thank you for the reply! That's what I was kind of gathering, but I wasn't 100% sure if the pairing was literally one set of TX/RX. Probably will still pick up another TX as the package deal since its discounted and just let the computers run redundantly independent ;-)

I can confirm that an aqualung trasmitter (bought in advance) pairs with the Perdix

I dive with a 2" SPG clipped to my left hip D-ring, and a wireless AI computer. Although I have also questioned whether the redundancy is necessary, on a recent trip the AI showed ~200 psi lower pressure than the SPG. Actually, the discrepancy wasn't linear - they read the same at 3200psi, but the AI showed 900 when the SPG read 1100, and 500 when the SPG read 750. Not necessarily a big deal, and I just treated the lower number as "true".

At this point I don't know which is the more accurate reading. I'm hoping it's just time to replace the battery in the transmitter, although the computer doesn't report low battery on the transmitter. It could be the SPG needs recalibration. I'll want to sort this out before my next dive trip.

In any case, you can trust your SPG or trust your AI, but just be aware equipment has limitations.

I know that I am late to the party but yes. I back up my Perdix A/I with a small SPG. If I had two A/I computers, then I would drop the SPG and utilize two transmitters. Although only once in 60 dives on my Perdix, I did have 1 comm. fail. I was able to get it restored but would never want to trust a single pressure device whether electronic or analog. Gas pressure is kind of important.... :wink:

Cheers and Safe Diving!

Matt

If I had two A/I computers, then I would drop the SPG and utilize two transmitters.
Before you had your AI computer, did you utilize two SPG's? Just curious.

Cheers - M²

I made the switch to AI only on my Red sea trip. Have to say I did not miss having the SPG - it was really nice just checking my wrist for everything.

If I had lost connection for any reason (assuming it didn't reconnect fairly quickly), I would have treated it the same way I would have treated a faulty SPG - dive over so preform a safe ascent and get back to the boat. I did carry the SPG as a backup in my luggage (as well as a back up DC).

AI has come a long way in the last few years so disconnects are getting increasingly rare. Having AI and SPG is like having dual SPG's on a reg set IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom