Do you still use a SPG with a AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have my own tanks in Florida or when I'm traveling, so often get on a boat with 2 or 3 tanks waiting for me. I use my reg with the SPG to quickly check the gas in both or all 3 tanks then go ahead and analyze them. This is faster/easier than firing up my computer. Sometimes the tank pressure and/or the nitrox analysis gives me a preference in the order to dive them. A few times I've picked up a low fill that could be remedied before leaving.

Forever, I've taken several breaths off my reg and watched the SPG just before jumping. This takes into account anything stupid I, or anyone else, might have done, or not done, earlier. Works for me.

I've used my backup SPG twice in just under 1000 dives with my VT3

:)

Yes see the following in order of importance.

1. I can't be bothered to hunt out the HP port plugs that reside in a very safe and secure but mysterious location

2. I'm too tight to by new plugs, and can't be bothered taking off the SPG anyway.

3. Always use the SPG to check my gas when changing tanks, PDC is normally in a safe place. I'll align the two when I kit up

4. I always test breath using the SPG because that's the way I've always done it, and because the SPG has a better reaction than the AI.

You got me thinking. 1 & 2 - I know where my HP & LP plugs are (in my save a dive - reason I could get rid of the hose/SPG on my trip).

3 & 4 seem like good reasons to me to put it back on. I just need to have a better method to anchor the SPG. I got a really cool snap together thingie but it doesn't hold tight enough. Guess it's time to go back to the old style surgical tubing and gate clip.

@stuartv

Yeah yeah, I know you're pulling my leg, but I don't need a button gauge. You see when we "big boy dive" we record our cylinder size and gas pressure (standard BSAC)

Point 4 Really - you want to go there :) Of course I check my tank valve, but that doesn't negate me from doing an idiot check before I splash.
Obviously you're at that complacent stage in you diving career where you're too cool not to need to:yeahbaby:
Seriously though. As A dive Pro, no one cars about you. No one buddy checks you and expects you to be infallible. Where're not. We get distracted dealing with customer whom we'd rather deep six. So I'm extra vigilant because I know I can make mistakes.

That said, rather than reach for the valve if I were to be that stupid (don't discount it) I would roll my gear off, sort the issue or ditch it and come back up. But then I didn't pass DM & IDC by doing gear on and off on my knees :rofl3:

I always check my clients gas. I work on the lowest common denominator. As an engineer (like you) I instinctively know which way is on and off. No righty tightly BS for me to remember.

As for "tech" divers... Well I have two parts to my boat briefs. The first for all - where I tell them that they've paid their money and we've banked it, so I'm not obligated to bring them back (light hearted joke)

Part two for tech divers. "You're all big boys and girls, if you choose not to carry out buddy checks etc, be sure I'll have your equipment on Ebay before your body is cold."

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: You make some excellent "points". :D:D:D

But, hey, you are the one that said you use your SPG to check tank pressure when you change tanks. All I'm saying is a button gauge would work for that. Whether you recorded your cylinder size and gas pressure or not....

I definitely agree about getting distracted paying attention to everyone else. I splashed in the pool a few weeks ago, after I got all the OW students in, and discovered I had forgotten to turn my own gas on... :eek:o_O:oops::oops::dork2::dork2::dork2:

I did not die.

Why not a boltsnap as in the hogarthian rig? For more reason you don't read at it very often, you should not bothered by unclipping.

Why not a boltsnap as in the hogarthian rig? For more reason you don't read at it very often, you should not bothered by unclipping.

Not getting what you are saying. I don't clip my SPG to read it. I just move it to where I can see it. I only clip before a dive and unclip back on shore.

Ops sorry, I'd just realized that your SPG is very close to the valves ... isn't it ?

Ops sorry, I'd just realized that your SPG is very close to the valves ... isn't it ?

No, my SPG is on a HP hose from my 1st stage. It's at waist level clipped off on the left side. All I have to do is grab it and look down. When I attach my 1st stage it's just hanging free. No where near the valve anytime.

I know what a boltsnap is - just have no idea what the hogarthian rig is.

Is exactly what you do, having a boltsnap tied to the SPG clipped on the left d-ring on the harness (at hip level).
There are some people that have their hose short enough to be as more streamlined possible, so sometimes is far more pratical to unclip (you do not need to look at it to unclip) and bring the SPG at eye level. After the reading the SPG need to be clipped again. With a bit of practicing it is a very easy skill to learn.

I tried various methods of positioning my SPG. Until I recently completely removed it from my doubles regs, in favor of AI, I had settled on my favorite, which is using a short HP hose and running it over my left shoulder, along with my LPI and corrugated hoses. It was just long enough to run past my chest D-ring and I would clip it to another ring a little further down. Made it very easy to check during a dive and very streamlined. Also, no issues with a deco cylinder being in the way and making it harder to unclip or look at.

I finally got into going through my gear after my trip to Bonaire and reconfigured my harness (different weight pouches, added ring, adjusted straps), diddled my pony (switched 2nd stage for one I like better), and put my SPG back on my 1st stage.

Changed the attachment from the one that kept popping free to the (now I know - lol) hogarthian rig. The connection is surgical tubing so I can keep it tight to my body but stretch it to see without unclipping.

That's all the mods I'm doing on gear but I still have to re-organize and store for next season, put my logs on paper, edit the video, and put together a trip report. Not going in the water unless I get a chance to go somewhere warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom