Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know, there is a minimal argument why smoking is good for a diver...

By constant exposure to Carbon Monoxide, you build up the body's tolerance to it. As a result, if by chance you get contaminated air, you are more likely to survive the dive.

At least that was what I was told by a non-smoking diving physiology instructor.

Ask any blood bank. Smokers have richer blood.

But then, this thread was hijacked when someone got into the "You shouldn't" vein...

gehadoski:
Trying to make a servay on divers who smokes?

Never have and never will!!!!

My wife and I both used to smoke.. clove ciggies with the occaisional cigar thrown in. Then I had my tonsils removed... from that point on I haven't been able to tolerate ciggy smoke as it gave me a hideous sinus headache. The result for my wife and I was a cold turkey stop of it. Overall we dont miss it, though we do both occaisionally get that "crave" for one... my wife even dreams about it.

A few years back we and 78% of FL voters banned it from places that served food... Nobody I know seems to miss it except the 10 people outside of the resturant quickly smoking cigs then running back inside smelling like a burned up garbage bag.

CBulla:
My wife and I both used to smoke.. clove ciggies with the occaisional cigar thrown in.

Mmmmmmmm... cloves.............
...excuse me, I must step outside for a moment or two ^_^

SeaBear70:
By constant exposure to Carbon Monoxide, you build up the body's tolerance to it. As a result, if by chance you get contaminated air, you are more likely to survive the dive.

Hee hee! Thanks, Seabear! I'll have to use that one...

As to the evils of smoking, a friend of mine, who is both an MSDT and a doctor, has told me that you can smoke all you like until you hit age 35, and suffer no long-term health risks. No quantifiable increace in cancer prevalance, emphasema or the like. Thirteen more years of lining the tobacco corporations' pockets for me...

Seabear70:
Ya know, there is a minimal argument why smoking is good for a diver...

At least that was what I was told by a non-smoking diving physiology instructor.
When I went through altitude chamber training for Hypoxia symptom training in the Air Force we were told smokers last longer at altitude without oxygen than non-smokers. We did not believe them. When they took us up to 20,000ft we had to take off our O2 masks and do tasks. The non-smokers lost their ability to function long before the smokers.

I have no idea how this would affect depth, but at altitude I know it works. No way am I saying smoking is a good thing, just some interesting info.

brianwl:
1. All the cancer causing additives are/were government mandated.
Cites please.
Without documented evidence, this will remain in the BS file.
Vegans claim that the charred flesh of cattle is carcinogenic, and that it is the burning process that creates these chemicals.
2. Congress continues to take huge amounts of money from the tobacco companies and anyone else with deep pockets.
Ya, so what?
3. Nicotine is known and been proven to be as addictive as Heroine. But there are not any rehab centers to help a person quit smoking like there are for drugs.
More BS spewed by those who want to get congressional funding and tax-exempt status by having it reclassified as a disease.
If it were as addictive as heroin, then how did I (and many, many others) quit cold-turkey?
This is a DANGEROUS myth. Why? Because my kid hears this at school. She tries a friend's smoke, and doesn't get hooked. She figures "Whoa, that wasn't bad, I must be immune to addiction, I guess heroin isn't as bad as everyone says it is either". Knowing 10 people who have quit relatively painlessly reinforces this attitude.
Breaking a heroin addiction is a life-threatening event that requires constant qualified medical supervision. I have absolutely no recollection of spending a week curled up on the floor shaking and puking my guts out when I quit.
Dude... I smoked FOUR PACKS A DAY for years, and was smoking nearly two a day when I quit.
Don't EVEN insult our intelligence with billboard claims. We know better, and you know better.
4. Smoking is not recognized as an illness therefore no support by employers to let people take the time off for rehab.
Good. No time off is needed for rehab. What's the best rehab? DISTRACTION! Keeping busy is the best way to deal with it. You want time off for rehab? Take a week of vacation time and go spend it with the family in Yellowstone. "Forget" to take your smokes.
5. Non-smokers do not help smokers quit smoking. They hinder the attempt with their constant comments. Leave us alone. When we are able and ready to quit, we will.
Agreed.
Every time I'd hear an anti-smoking ad on the radio or see a billboard or bus sign, I'd light up. After I quit, for the first 6 months I'd reach for my pocket.
6. If you smoke menthols, you need to switch to regulars before you can quit. The menthol is addictive too.
More BS. Menthol is no more addictive than Pepsi. It's simply something enjoyable.
7. Don't fool yourself, there is no such thing as an "ex-smoker." Just a smoker who doesn't actively smoke currently. All it take is one cigarette and you're back on them just like an alocholic or drug addict.
More BS.
The smell of smoke does not bother me. I work around smokers every day. I now actually NOTICE the smell, and it is no longer pleasurable, but it has no other effect on me.
I dare say that if I actually had another cig, I would not be likely to finish it because I DON'T find it pleasurable anymore.

Brian... you are looking for excuses to not quit.

There is one reason that you haven't quit... you do not have sufficient motivation to quit. For me, it was the desire to dive. My buddy would not dive with me if I smoked, and I would have nobody to dive with regularly other than he (no, he's not DIR either). Simple choice... do something that I had really wanted to do for 20 years, or continue doing something that I had been doing and hating for 20 years.

For my brother and grandmother, their motivation came from burying grandpa. That was always in the back of my mind, but I was too young to fully grasp what grandma and the family went through during his last 6 months. The iron lung was in a bizzare darkened room that we were not allowed in. There was a window in the door, and a mirror above his face so he could see the door.

One day, hopefully, you will find it within yourself to make the move forward in your life. There IS plenty of help available that wasn't available to grandpa... patches, gum, support groups.
Trust me, it is a 100% positive move, and after a few months, you will look back and ask yourself how you could do it for so long. The money I saved the second year lone was enough to pay for my Mako scooter. The money I saved the first year paid for the rest of my gear. The third year paid for my custom-cut DUI drysuit.

Sure I know it's bad for me but I couldn't imagine not having a ciggie during the surface interval, glad to know there are at least some minor benefits diving wise to my bad habit!

I only smoke when my wife lights my hair on fire...and that is infrequently...or never...heh

Q: Do you smoke after sex?

A: Don't know. Never looked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom