Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid:
Actually, on the right wearer, I sort of like Speedos.

You should see me in one...................

SueMermaid:
Actually, on the right wearer, I sort of like Speedos.

(note to self:remind sue to take medication) :wink:

This is a cut-and-paste with some editing from Kim's thread, but certainly pertinate here... maybe a help to those wishing to quit:

I used to... 4 packs a day when I worked retail in the days that smoking was allowed in stores. 2 packs a day after I changed industries. I smoked for nearly 20 years. I quit cold-turkey without the patch or gum.

At the time I quit, I was running between 1 and 2 packs a day. I had just returned from a business trip to Grand Cayman where I had done four resort course dives. The bug bit me, and I had literally been off the plane from my return trip for 3 hours and I stopped by Sport Chalet and signed up for OW.
I told my buddy (who has been diving since '78) that I was finally getting certified, and he said "Great, but I won't dive with you as long as you smoke"

I looked at the carton on my desk, and figured "Well, if I don't buy anymore I can't smoke anymore"... so I didn't buy anymore and finished that carton the next evening. Two days later I pulled one out of the ashtray and re-lit the last 1/4", and that was it.
I found that while driving (I drive over 40k/year), I would frequently reach for my pocket. I used Altoids to help with the cravings, and I did gain about 10 pounds over the next year.

It took about 2 years before I got to the point that I no longer had ANY cravings. As far as my weight, a little over a year ago I made some dietary adjustments and was able to get back down to 210, but couldn't progress beyond that and spent nearly a year flopping between 210 and 205 (incidentally, I put ON 5 pounds when I tried Cortislim).

Last April, I joined a gym, but this time, worked in 4 sessions with a trainer and nutritionist. A properly balanced diet (no Atkins or South Beach BS), combined with moderate cardio and weight training every other day has brought me down to 185. My blood pressure has dropped from 143/93 to 115/73, and my resting pulse is now around 60, where it was around 90.

==============
Update: Last weekend I headed out for my first dives since my new training program started. My air consumption is down by about 25% and handling the gear is WAY easier. It was a fantastic weekend... I really like my "new" body.

RichLockyer:
This is a cut-and-paste with some editing from Kim's thread, but certainly pertinate here... maybe a help to those wishing to quit:

I used to... 4 packs a day when...<snip> .

good work.

I've had enough habits/vices over the course of my life that I can't help admire the self control and determination that this takes.

Damsel, regarding the tech divers smoking....these guys were Korean, and in most of Asia the smoking rate is MUCH higher than in the US. I don't know the current statistics, but I'd heard about 70% for Japanese males, and I'd expect Korea to be similar. That was one thing I disliked about living in Japan a decade or so back....it was difficult to find no-smoking areas in restaurants or whatever. Even now I sometimes have a minor disagreement with my girlfriend....when we go out for dinner with our (mostly Japanese) customers, she (also Japanese) will usually ask them "smoking or non-smoking" whereas I will try to get "no-smoking" no matter what. I think that for the 5~10 minutes that they might want to smoke, they can go over to one of the empty smoking section tables. About 1 1/2 years ago I had to carry my father's body out to the funeral home car (the attendants were not very strong), so sitting in any smoke-filled environment for an hour or two out of "politeness" brings those memories back & it really bothers me. On the other hand, as long as smokers take the reasonable steps (outdoors or away from me) so that *I* don't have to smoke, (and don't trash the world) I have no problem with them.

gehadoski:
Trying to make a servay on divers who smokes?

OK so I found this item in a 1975 issue of Skin Diver Magazine.

wedivebc:
OK so I found this item in a 1975 issue of Skin Diver Magazine.

OK would you mind typing the artic. out I can not read it, to small. :eyecrazy:

Cards90:
OK would you mind typing the artic. out I can not read it, to small. :eyecrazy:

Skin Diver Magazine April 1975:
The Dope on Drugs and Diving
Zonked divers are better off to stay high and dry. That’s what a group of Canadian divers recently found after conducting a casual survey of people who had tried to mix diving and grass. According to Ontario’s Diving News, one group of users smoked one joint (each) and made a dive to 25ft in Northern Ontario. The water was 56’ and the divers wore ¼” wet suits. They were forced to come out in just 16 min whereas a normal dive for them would have been 50 minutes. They also noticed a decrease in breath holding ability. One instructor, an experienced free diver who was normally capable of holding his breath two to two and one-half minutes could only hold his breath a maximum of 24 seconds at nine feet after 2 joints.
The Canadian newspaper also recounted the findings of a group of divers experimenting with the weed in the Bahamas. These divers said the report, found that in warm water the loaded ones became ultra-relaxed, unaware, lazy and lost the ability to perform work. At a depth of 40-45 ft one instructor “greyed out” or simply went to sleep.
These findings are rather unofficial but it shows that divers about it before they light up. Even the question of sea sickness drugs is getting some thought. One report we received from Britain stated that anti-seasickness preparations (hyoscine or antihistamine families of drugs) caused drowsiness and sleepiness and increased susceptibility to nitrogen narcosis. The report recommended that divers taking such drugs limit their diving to no more than 40ft. The hyoscine family (Kwells) “are probably preferable”. As with the grass, no official report has been done on the seasickness problem but in both cases the work now is: cool it.
:

There You guys better read it now my fingers are sore :wink:

Back
Top Bottom