Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
I think it was a joke Bob

You sound judgmental! Time for that second cup of coffee Bob

You sound defensive.

I really don't care if you smoke ... I'm only stating what's been known for decades now, that it's not a healthy pastime.

Whatever floats your boat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seabear70:
Here's a hint non-smokers... telling someone who's quiting how bad cigs are for them every 5 mins does not help, it just gives us nic fits.

Truer words have not been spoken!!!

I was able to finally kick the habit a little over a year ago. This was after multiple attempts. Unfortunately as Seabear stated, everyone felt the urge to "help" or worse yet, some (usually those that were most vocal about me quitting to begin with) would even encourage me to start back up when I was having a tough day!!!

What I finally chose to do was to just not tell anyone that I was quitting. I would instead go out for "fresh air" breaks throughout the day so that no one would ask why I wasn't going out for a smoke.

Lastly, a smoker will quit when they are ready and not before...badgering, bullying, etc, do not work!

every instructor i know, apart from one, does smoke

Wow! I have only been on 10 dives, but on those dives I only met two people that smoked and neither of them were instructors. Fortunately, they were buddied together. So when they ran out of air, 10 minutes before the rest of us, we could stay down.

of smoking are completely overridden by how suave and sophisticated it makes one appear...

I do smoke, though not heavily. I never smoke on a boat or on the beach, though, and never in front of students, because I do recognise it's not a healthy habit for divers to have. (hypocrite, i know... ^_-) I avoid smoking at least three hours prior to any dive. I'll second some surprise at the numbers of instructors who smoke - at least half that I know do, probably more. (and that's not mentioning those instructors who smoke... er... things other than cigarettes, sometimes immediately prior to getting in the water...)

I have yet to meet a tech diver who smokes, though... they seem to understand better than some of the rest of us that our lungs are, indeed, a vital piece of scuba equipment, and deserve care and maintainance just as surely as our regs do...

I agree with Cancun Mark, though - something must be done about The Speedo Menace! The effects of secondhand Speedo-viewing are definitely hazardous...

Can't seem to get the attachment to load. try later.

NWGratefulDiver:
You sound defensive.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry Bob and Natasha.

I am actually completely in agreement with Pasely, but smokers like any other addicts need encouragement and support to quit, not contempt, I know, I am one and need encouragement and support. Hence my smartass reply.

Come on, every now and again, a post dive Cuban (cigar) is a truly lovely thing. It's almost as bad for you as a Whopper w/cheese.

Rick Inman:
I used to smoke.
-wait a minute. I didn't smoke. It was the cigarette that smoked.
I was just the sucker.
Excellent!

Smoking is a foul and disgusting habit that I loved for most of my adult life. When the occasional craving hits (it's been a number of years and, yes, they still come) I stop whatever I'm doing and say to myself, "How can it be that after all this time, you still crave the idea of a few minutes sucking a butt?" The alternate imagery is enough to get me back on the straight and narrow...

One day at a time. Forever.

Actually, on the right wearer, I sort of like Speedos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom