Do you need to take Reg off Pony when not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For foreigners reading this, could you please clarify the term 'pony'.

Is it, as the term is used in the UK, a small 3 litre cylinder mounted on the side of the backmounted large (frequently 15 litre) primary cylinder?

Or is the term ‘pony' a synonym for a stage cylinder hung on the hip and chest D-rings?

Nah mate on here they're slingers, love pretending tech, aluminium only and any size up to 40cf

full.jpg

and you can see your vindicator when you're slung

Thanks.

having them slung in front of you makes using them so much simpler than when they’re on your back.

I assume their usage is much like CCR bailouts - turn on, check pressure and test breathe before jumping in.

Is it, as the term is used in the UK, a small 3 litre cylinder mounted on the side of the backmounted large (frequently 15 litre) primary cylinder?

Or is the term ‘pony' a synonym for a stage cylinder hung on the hip and chest D-rings?

Pony refers to how it’s used not where it’s mounted. If it’s a redundant air source not factored into your gas plan it’s a pony. It’s there for emergency use only and is primarily used by solo divers. Regardless of whether it’s back mounted or slung.

If it’s factored into your gas plan in any way, meaning you plan to use it at a point in your dive, it’s a stage or deco bottle. If you’re diving CCR it’s a bailout bottle. These are almost always slung at the side.

I assume their usage is much like CCR bailouts - turn on, check pressure and test breathe before jumping in.

I turn mine on during initial setup, check the pressure, test the reg and leave it on the duration of the charter.

I think if I was to use a pony like that, Id use it with 1 second stage and switch to it on my way to the surface just to get into using it like I was using independents.

Agreed. Whether a solo diver uses a pony or doubles, it's always a good idea to practice the regulator exchange along with other skills & drills.

A pony is not a stage to extend your dive. It’s emergency redundant air. Many in the US sling them from chest and hip D ring, much like a tech diver would sling a deco bottle. They go as large as an AL40 here.

A pony is not a stage to extend your dive. It’s emergency redundant air. Many in the US sling them from chest and hip D ring, much like a tech diver would sling a deco bottle. They go as large as an AL40 here.
But if you need to use it, it’s a stage and an important one. So why not switch to the pony periodically so that when or if it’s needed, it’s no big fuss to do it.

But if you need to use it, it’s a stage and an important one. So why not switch to the pony periodically so that when or if it’s needed, it’s no big fuss to do it.

You're confusing using your pony regularly for practice and to ensure the reg is working correctly with actually including it in your gas plan. Absolutely you should plan to regularly use your pony bottle for practice and to ensure it is working perfectly. However, you should not include the gas in your pony in the gas plan for the dive. If you do that it is just more planned gas that just so happens to be in a 2nd cylinder. In that case it is NOT a redundant air source but rather part of your planned gas.

I practice with and test my pony on dives when I don't need it as a redundant air source. For example on a shallow shore dive when redundancy isn't necessary. In that case I'm using it as a stage and not as a pony. It might seem to be splitting hairs but it's not. It's important to be clear with your gas plan for every single dive.

For multiple dives in short period of time I leave it connected. For a longer SI I disconnect it. If I were to leave it connected when not in use I would at least work the threads every so often so they don't get seized up over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom