Do you need to take Reg off Pony when not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had a AL 19 pony for 5 months, filled but only breathed on the few dives I used it to see if it was working. DIN valve if it matters. I have never taken the Reg off I just have left it all rigged up. I just turn off air after the dive, purge reg and hose off with fresh water. I'm wondering if this is wrong and I should take reg off.

How do you handle this situation?

I typically dive every 2-4 weeks so I usually leave mine on the tank but purged. Over time the tank will lose air from charge/purge/charge/purge/etc plus I will practice with it and test the reg every few months. When I do that I will swap it over to my other pony (I have two AL40s) and have the one filled. Then repeat the process.

That's just what I do. As long as you aren't leaving it constantly pressurized I'm not sure there's a right or a wrong answer.

Mine stayed in the car for several months with the reg still on it. No harm done. I only dive freshwater, though.

... I just turn off air after the dive, purge reg and hose off with fresh water. I'm wondering if this is wrong ...

It's best if you leave your reg fully pressurized (tank valve fully open) as you hose down your gear with fresh water. (This will prevent water from getting into places it ought not be.)

rx7diver

It's best if you leave your reg fully pressurized (tank valve fully open) as you hose down your gear with fresh water. (This will prevent water from getting into places it ought not be.)

rx7diver
This is true. However I have rinsed my tank and reg separately for 16 years with no problems (make sure dust cap is tight of course). Keep in mind I never soak stuff.
Last time I used my pony was a long time ago. I kept the reg unattached. When I tried it a while back it didn't work (no air). It had worked the last time I used it (2010?). I was told things can crap out for whatever reason over time even if you don't use a reg at all.

I breath down my bailouts and deco tanks to keep them in use, then wash with all my other gear that way I know there going to work when I need them. Do people not breath down a pony?

if salt then you need to take the reg off, the DIN threads will seize with salt and soaking/rinsing doesn't do anything, just ask the dive shops that use convertible valves how those work when they don't get taken out frequently.
If in freshwater, no real need to do it

It's best to at least take the reg off and rinse it in fresh water. If left on for some time, the thread could start to corrode making it harder to remove. You also don't want any diving water left in the first stage to decompose.

I remove between dive trips but leave it on during a trip usually 7 to 10 days.

I take mine off. Even in fresh water, I assume that sand, silt, algae, and fish poop can get into the threads of my DIN connections.

Back
Top Bottom