Do you need to take Reg off Pony when not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah the slingers pretending to tech telling us that flopping a pony around on your front is normal

View attachment 711564

Not a diver at all, an abomination

Hello

It's a flaw indeed and of peoples idea of using ccr thinking that every dive is to 500 feet under ice in a hurricane

And then there's the real solo diver stealthily streamlined going about his business

View attachment 711565

Unencumbered by the flopping around of following somebody elses ideas without thought and not his own!

And the :deadhorse: continues.

One more vote for disassembly, after diving; but, ultimately, it's just a matter of personal taste.

I have a number of regulators, which I'll either use as a main or on a pony bottle; and like to rotate them frequently, just to make sure that everything is always up to snuff. Nothing remains hooked up and pressurized, unless it is either soaking, or an IP is being adjusted, along with a new seat.

Additionally, I will often use pony bottles while servicing regulators, just for their convenient, smaller sizes and ease of portability . . .

... I got a question "wrong" on the e-learning for my SDI Deep course because they define "pony" as exclusively back-mounted; otherwise it's a "sling bottle" or "stage bottle." ...

[/SARCASM]
And this is precisely why one must receive still another formal "certification" in order to dive beyond OW in the conditions you received your OW training in.

Reminds me of the "CONVENTID" discussion I participated in a few years ago.
[/SARCASM]

EDIT: Here's a link to that memorable "CONVENTID" discussion: Dive Planning Mnemonics. (Posts 32 and 33.)

rx7diver

On the subject of defining a pony, at the risk of beating a dead horse (sorry): I got a question "wrong" on the e-learning for my SDI Deep course because they define "pony" as exclusively back-mounted; otherwise it's a "sling bottle" or "stage bottle." So it's interesting to learn that's a UK thing and not just a weird agency thing.

Personally, I like to sling my pony on my left side, in order to leave the right side free for carrying grudges.
Just shows that SDI can be wrong.
Here is what they said in 2012: Gas Management Techniques for Sport Divers - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI. Quoting from that:
The simple alternative is to carry a redundant gas source, and the most functional and practical for the average single-tank diver is a “pony bottle.”​
Time for a not-so-simple definition. Just about everyone who has lounged around the aft-decks of dive boats for a season or two will have heard the term Pony Bottle to describe a variety of small scuba cylinders – all a sort of perfect copy of a full-sized cylinder but looking as though they were put through a hot wash and dry cycle and shrunk – and used for a variety of tasks.​
Other names for these mini-cylinders include sling bottles, stage bottles, buddy bottles and a half-dozen or so more equally descriptive names.​

But if you really want to be a slinger like when some people would throw their keys into a bowl

but you want to do it right and not burn peoples eyeballs looking like you're riding a big salami

images (4).jpg

Get in here and learn some slinging

and as a bonus enjoy this

That's right put something you're never going to use clunking around in front for the entire dive
clunk clunk clunk
when you want to go diving, out of robot mode, and spin around dive on your back or your side
clunk clunk clunk

Just learn how to bungee the damn thing back. All's in control.

Back
Top Bottom