Dive Planning Mnemonics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of basic Recreational Diving:

I find that if a mnemonic or acronym is too hard to remember, or requires a jingle to remember it, it will probably fall into disuse. Already the mind is focused on remembering the jingle instead of what it is supposed to represent. If the mnemonic is too long or involved, it will probably fall by the wayside also. KISS. I have also come to believe that the way one checks is as (or more) important than following a checklist. I see many people doing buddy checks but only pointing to their systems instead of actually testing or becoming familiar with them. Some of the worst offenders being trapped octo hoses still not corrected after a buddy check has been completed.

For myself, I looked at what BWRAF was aiming at and changed it to BAR: Buoyancy, Air, Releases. Easy to remember without a jingle and covers the systems I need to check.

Buoyancy covers both BC/DS inflators which I activate, dump valves which I activate, and noting lift bag or SMB's which I also consider auxillary buoyancy devices.
Air covers both (all) my reg's, which I breath while watching my SPG. Pressure is noted. I also check for hose trapping by deploying.
Releases covers both my harness and weight releases and position of the crotch strap if I'm using one.

I've never known anyone to vocalize a mnemonic for dive planning (at the site) but generally, besides what we plan to do during the dive, the discussion covers four talking points that, through experience, I've found to be points of confusion.

Defining buddy teams and suggesting that, while we may dive as a group, the buddy is your primary teammate.
Turn pressures.
Separated buddy procedure.
Buddy positioning. I prefer side by side rather than follow the leader and suggest that to my buddy.
With doubles divers, I will usually signal a bubble check and ask for reciprocation.

A lot of more recently trained divers seem to forget (or maybe never learned) that a mnemonic is simply an aid. If one doesn't need the aid, then one shouldn't be required to learn it. I still recall an exam question on my 1993 IANTD Recreational Nitrox course: "What does 'CONVENTID' mean?" Not, mind you, "What are the symptoms of oxygen toxicity?" I still find this type of question humorous.

Because I teach technical diving, CONVENTID is great for me when it comes to toxicity. If I remember the mnemonic, it's no problem to add the elements because I discuss the signs and symptoms of toxicity in detail on a regular basis. For divers who never even think about the signs and symptoms, CONVENTID may be useless.

TraceMalin,

I'm not sure I was clear with my earlier "CONVENTID" example. My point was (is), a person will remember however he or she remembers. A mnemonic or two might be suggested to him/her, perhaps. But, ultimately it should be that person's choice how he/she chooses to remember something, no matter how complicated it is. Requiring that a person memorizes a particular mnemonic is counterproductive, imho.

When as a child I learned to play the piano, I learned "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor/Fudge"—and that the bass staff doesn't follow this rule. Never learned a mnemonic for the bass staff. However, I still learned the notes of the bass staff, still learned to play the piano, still remember the notes on the bass staff to this day, still enjoy playing the piano. When now I help my young daughters with their piano practice, I struggle to memorize the other mnemonics they are being taught: "FACE," "Great Big Dogs Fight Animals," and (... let's see ... what's that other one? ... oh, yeah ...) "All Cows Eat Grass." Those don't work for moi.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Just learned a new piano mnemonic: "Go Downstairs And Eat Breakfast." (Sorry. Lazy, boring evening.)

Back
Top Bottom