Do you keep track of your underwater time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still keep a paper log but also set up a spread sheet of time temp depth site, operator, etc. handy for quickly checking expected water temps, typical viz, etc at a given site.

For fun i set up some counters for dive operators etc. Paid off. When I commented to the shop co-owner that I had just done my 100th dive with them he gave me a 50% discount.

Started on paper in '88, and made the dumb mistake of electronic logs exclusively when I got a PDC in the 90's. Well, computers die, proprietary data formats, OS changes, etc. cost me a chunk of my data, and then a hiatus for a few years.... Got back into diving a few years back, and been putting them on paper as well as electronic....

No stamps to be had here (or where I've been), and I never asked a buddy (other than my wife in the early years) to sign. There are occasionally names written down. I thought it was funny to see some very newly minted divers racing around a few weeks back to get signatures, but to each their own.

i started and stayed on paper. so far (knock wood) I've been able to at least get bottom time and max depth for all but a handful of dives (early on I dove without a computer for about a year and three months.

other than for training, I don't get signatures. I never saw the need for them. I did like to take notes on each dive, but some are barely a few words. also, I'd sketch out interesting dive sites or wrecks and draw a trail showing how the dive progressed over the bottom.

Every single dive is logged, stamped and counter signed by the instructor if it was a course.
Date, location, total dive time and max depth reached are entered.
Not able to confirm my total dive time right now but it is around 1,400 hrs.
I didn't log any class dives, but that's just me. If I'm not exploring or looking at marine life I don't consider it a dive. I have never seen any stamps in a logbook before.

I realize my dives fall far short of many on the SB forums, and also that I'm gearing up to dive again after 6 years ... but ...

I'm still proud of my diving, not as it compares to others but as a marker of my own diving. and so:

i have 448 dives (I'm anal in keeping track), 279 salt water, 169 fresh water, with 158 overhead dives (68 cavern, 90 cave)

for a total of 586.88 hours underwater (24.45 days)

do you keep track?

do you care?
yup Minutes and hours - don't keep track of fresh/salt ( on a running total anyways )

247 dives all fresh water for a total 218 hours underwater. If I had my laptop present I could give more info but yes I track everything. Even total cf of breathing gas consumed

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I didn't log any class dives, but that's just me. If I'm not exploring or looking at marine life I don't consider it a dive. I have never seen any stamps in a logbook before.
Dive shop or dm/instructor seal.
There is a operator in Coron(Philippines) who will sell you stickers for some of the wrecks found there.

I found it helpful to record depths and characteristics of the dive sites to make subsequent dives easier to plan. also I wanted to have memory prompts later on to better remember each dive.

:wink:

30 years. 697 dives. Total time: 32,628 minutes underwater, average time 46.81 minutes per dive.

Yeah, I keep track. :D

I often have students sign my book at a course's end. I told a couple of them it may help me remember them when I look at the log in 30 years. One asked my age (then 60) and said something like "good luck with that".

Back
Top Bottom