Do you keep track of your underwater time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first got certified in 86. Lost all of my dive logs (military moving constantly) but have been keeping track since my wife got certified. Wish I still had those old logs:confused:

Yes, all of them are on paper logs and a total underwater time is recorded. I would have to look and see what the total is but I do keep the total time. All of the dives are signed off on by an instructor, DM or buddy.

Was wondering how you averaged more than an hour a dive--figured lots of shallow dives. I only average a little over 30 mins. per dive.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2015 at 10:54 PM ----------

IF I were young enough to keep up my current pace (70+ dives/year) for another 16 years (to make 26 yrs.) I'd only have about 1,300. I see you've averaged more than one 2-dive day per week for all those years.
I averaged about 110 the first couple years and then began working at a dive shop for 38 hours each weekend in addition to three nights of college and a full time job with overtime during the week. My average was down to 35 dives per year then. I'm having much more fun now. :)

I also use a spreadsheet to make my own log pages as well as a special one for each year, which I print out and put in my log book, perhaps over the top but statistically can look interesting

I have some pie charts too showing where I have dived around the world, Saudi Arabia Red Sea is still over 50%

As for number of dives I am around 1378 and hours 1388, log book is not currently with me to check but I have around 10 hours more in time than actual dives.

Every single dive is logged, stamped and counter signed by the instructor if it was a course.
Date, location, total dive time and max depth reached are entered.
Not able to confirm my total dive time right now but it is around 1,400 hrs.

I'm a logger for sure but just a baby with 230 dives and 216hrs although that said 210 dives have been completed since 2013. Mine is all electronic (Mac Dive) and its sometimes interesting to sort the data into dive/year, buddies, locations etc as well as useful to look up the weighting I may have used a year ago in a particular configuration.

It is a regret that I didn't keep up with paper logs. A couple of years back an Instructor showed me his logs. Every dive and on paper. What was nice was all the stamps a real time capsule. Much as though I like technology looking at a screen (although quicker and more resilient) isn't the same as paper. Do you remember looking through peoples photograph albums? Nowadays we scan through electronically far more pictures (as we're too lazy to delete them) but it in (IMHO) far less satisfying than turning physical pages

Dives & hours this year. Dives & hours in total.
Number of
- ice dives
- mine dives
- cave dives
- blackwater dives
- pool dives
- freedives
- solo dives
- trimix dives
- river dives
- sea dives
- search and recovery dives

So, yes, I keep record. I also cut (with scissors) and paste (with glue) my profiles to my paper logbook. Why on paper? Well... I was a sysadmin at a datacentre :D
This method allowed me to recover logs after a major computer crash (several hard disks and backup drives dead).

It is the post dive analysis though, that is valuable.

Started on paper in '88, and made the dumb mistake of electronic logs exclusively when I got a PDC in the 90's. Well, computers die, proprietary data formats, OS changes, etc. cost me a chunk of my data, and then a hiatus for a few years.... Got back into diving a few years back, and been putting them on paper as well as electronic....

No stamps to be had here (or where I've been), and I never asked a buddy (other than my wife in the early years) to sign. There are occasionally names written down. I thought it was funny to see some very newly minted divers racing around a few weeks back to get signatures, but to each their own.

Was wondering how you averaged more than an hour a dive--figured lots of shallow dives. I only average a little over 30 mins. per dive.

early on, I did tons of shallow, loooong dives in the springs, Rainbow River, Crystal River. basically I just wanted to be underwater. most of my cavern dives were relatively shallow and long too.

in fact, only my salt water dives tend to be relatively short, and still, lots of them in the Keys are to 40, 50 feet only, so you get some decent bottom time. off Jacksonville you're talking 60-70 feet, so not as long. other than wall dives in Grand Cayman and some deeper ones in Bonaire, my ocean dives seldom go past 80 feet. it'd be interesting to see what my average salt water vs. fresh water bottom times are.

Every single dive is logged, stamped and counter signed by the instructor if it was a course.
Date, location, total dive time and max depth reached are entered.
Not able to confirm my total dive time right now but it is around 1,400 hrs.

All dives are stamped? I've only encountered a few dive ops that do this. Are all your dives with a buddy or inctructor who can sign it?

Back
Top Bottom