• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Trying to confuse the rabbit is not a sport! :confused: Isn't "Updated frequently but not signed" the same as "Updated after every dive and not signed" :huh:
Ber :lilbunny:

No, it's not.

Before I moved to Egypt to work as an Instructor I logged all my dives in a log book with the usual info (date, site, depth, time, buddy, weight, suit, air) as well an anything interesting that was seen. When I moved here I decided to switch to using a diary instead due to the number of dives I would be doing, I only log the basic in this like site, depth & time. As well as this I also download the profile from my computer & have done this since about dive no 10.
Not many of my dives have been signed other than training dives although I do normally write in my buddy's name but as most of them are now solo dives this doesn't happen much.
As for ever being asked to show my log book as proof of dives, this has only happened once during my IDC. A lot of my diving previously had been done at the same diving centre that I did my DM & IDC so the CD there knew I had sufficient dives for the course, just as well as I only brought the most recent out with me when I came.

I have no reason to get anyone to sign my log. My best buddy does look at it though.

Walter:
Is there going to be an option that says, "I log my dives religiously, but don't have them signed"?

Don't make me come down there, I might sign your logbook :eyebrow:

Walter:
Hey, I signed those dives and I returned the pages to you. It's not my fault. I love you too.

Why, my love, do you sound so guilty? :wink: I never blamed you for anything I said and I quote:

Ber Rabbit:
Couldn't have one dive missing a signature especially since it was with one of my favorite people. Thanks to Walter I will probably never forget to bring my logbook along again LOL!

Not once did I mention what you did in addition to signing the logbook page now did I? It still makes me smile :10:

Walter:
No, it's not.
Let's keep it simple for us feeble minded rabbits :wink:

Mine's an xcel spreadsheet at home. Date, location, vis, water temp, minutes, max D, avg D, Delta Ps, Tanks used (100, 120, doubles, slings, etc), SAC/RMV, notes about the dive. I do it after the days dives, and if we are travelling I do it on the laptop.

Went one place and the DM wigged because it wasn't book form and no buddy signatures. He made me do a checkout dive before we could venture out to the deep scary, tropical blue crystal clear 50' water. :)

Ber Rabbit:
Don't make me come down there, I might sign your logbook :eyebrow:

Promise?

Ber Rabbit:
Why, my love, do you sound so guilty? :wink: I never blamed you for anything

You said, "Thanks to Walter I will probably never forget to bring my logbook along again LOL!" You blamed me for improving your memory.

Ber Rabbit:
Not once did I mention what you did in addition to signing the logbook page now did I? It still makes me smile :10:

I didn't do it. It was already there when I got it. I still blush when I think of what you put there.

Ber Rabbit:
Let's keep it simple for us feeble minded rabbits :wink:

OK, I didn't need to participate in the poll anyway.

I'm another in the "always fill it out, never get it signed" crowd. I'm an info junkie, so I had to make my own custom pages and everything. It's useful to look back to see what weight I dove last time I was in whatever suit, but I like looking for trends in air consumption, etc.

(Strangely enough, my SAC (or whatever you want to call surface-adjusted volumetric air consumption per unit time) is down over 20% when I compare my last four (drysuit) dives to my pre-drysuit dives, and I know for a fact that I was overweighted for the dry dives, too. If I keep diving at this rate, I might actually end up receiving a turn pressure signal from my most-often buddy instead of giving it... well, at least with my AL100 to her AL80.)

Updated frequently but not signed is close enough.. My vote has been cast :p

I never take the whole dive log on vacation--too bulky. But I take blank pages and fill them out, sometimes signed. I didn't like the PADI pages, so I made my own, printed them on card stock and filled the book with them. I put 2 to a page, and put things I wanted to remember in it (even "cost of trip" and "dive op")

I don't remember anyone saying anything about getting a buddie's signature during my classes. Especially in terms of "proof". It's wierd how divergent people are on this. Some people act like it's bizarre that I have logged dives with no signature, some people act like I'm trying to pin something on them when I ask them to sign.

Another thing; my NAUI classes didn't mention logging your weight, and there's no field for that in the book. I took an SSI refresher, and the instructor recommended it, and it's been very helpful to figure out how much weight to use.

I'm still looking for a logbook format I like. I don't like any of the "make your own logbook" templates I've seen, either.

After getting my computer, I still enter the dive profiles to check the actual dives against the tables.

Back
Top Bottom