• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always fill out my log book, sometimes I get it signed.
On vacation I try and get a stamp from the company I am diving with for the first and last dive as an aide memoir.
I log interesting fish, sites etc, if I have a camera, entry time, dive time, max depth.

I must scan my log books to keep as a backup.

I do log, but minimally, usually a days diving per page. Always record : place, depth, time, who I was diving with and what role (instructor, dive leader or buddy). Only when I was under training were the logs signed, now no. In contrast the person I dive most with keep a FULL log - eg: Dive 453. "The day started cold but we quickly loaded the gear on the boat....etc etc". Still, he now has a wonderful resource to look back on.

The slight logical flaw behind logs is of course, that most people who take logs with them only take the "latest", and if that *starts* at dive 185 - what you gonna say - prove it further? With certs, you at least know the *minimum* that some one is.
-j-

I have a few more than 400 dives, yet I log them religiously and not just for the wildlife I see. As previously mention, there's no option for me to check off on your poll. Why would I sign solo dives? I don't have anyone sign the non-solo dives.

josh_ingu:
The slight logical flaw behind logs is of course, that most people who take logs with them only take the "latest", and if that *starts* at dive 185 - what you gonna say - prove it further? With certs, you at least know the *minimum* that some one is.
-j-

My current log has just shy of 300 dives. No one is going to care if it starts at 1, at 1500 or at 20,000. When I start a new log, I take my previous log on trips until I get a few dives recorded in the new one. I've never needed it for an operator, but it can be a useful reference for me.

We fill ours in after each dive..My best friend/hubby/buddy signs off, ( he is also better at recording the importany info, while I expand the fun aspects in mine so between us it is through. I am also logging them on the Diverecords.com so I have a back up. It's not like there is much to do in WI this time of year. Current temp 11*

I fill in my log for every dive and get it signed, 160 dives, but i now find it a major pain to get it signed. Since it is just a record for me, weight, depth, conditions, vis, temp etc, I have now settled for Dive Op stamp and forego sig.

Same here ... no option that applies to me. I religiously log my dives both in my log book and in a spreadsheet that I use to calculate SAC and RMV and I download my dive profile onto my computer. However, I no longer have anyone sign my log book. I have a computer downloaded dive profile to verify every dive if needed, so I see no need for a signature.

I have almost 400 dives and every one is signed by my buddie(s). I went diving with Walter and forgot my logbook so I mailed him the page to sign and he sent it back. Couldn't have one dive missing a signature especially since it was with one of my favorite people. Thanks to Walter I will probably never forget to bring my logbook along again LOL!

My logbook is for me, to remember the dives and the people I dove with. The signatures? Just a habit formed when I was trained that I never got out of. Besides, when I'm prancing around in my rabbit hat and people are trying to pretend they don't know me I have a signature that proves they do :D (My husband tries this sometimes :rofl3: )
Ber :lilbunny:

I like to keep my log book as a record of where we've gone and what we've seen. I typically stamp my book with the dive operator's stamp (or sticker), or write my buddy's name on the signature line if it was a shore dive. Nobody's ever asked to see my log book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom