• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do log all my dives, but they aren't signed unless I have taken a class of some kind (and some are stamped by dive sites). Most are just written down without a signature. My husband is almost always my dive buddy.

My logbook is like a journal, so I try to record it on the same day (like when having lunch/dinner), when memory is still fresh. The reason is I can look it up after the trip when someone asks me about the dive, dive site, currents or depth. I'd even include my hotel name and restaurants.
I don't always dive withthe same buddies, I try getting my buddy's signature after the dive, but it's tough doing so post dive - when we get back to the dock, everyone's trying to get off the boat or there's wet gear to haul.
Dive safely.

sambolino44:
...It's wierd how divergent people are on this. Some people act like it's bizarre that I have logged dives with no signature, some people act like I'm trying to pin something on them when I ask them to sign.

Yea I noticed that too, most of mine are with family, however I almost never see other "insta buddies" signing logs.

sambolino44:
Another thing; my NAUI classes didn't mention logging your weight, and there's no field for that in the book. I took an SSI refresher, and the instructor recommended it, and it's been very helpful to figure out how much weight to use.

I'm still looking for a logbook format I like. I don't like any of the "make your own logbook" templates I've seen, either.

After getting my computer, I still enter the dive profiles to check the actual dives against the tables.

I am working on my own log pages as well. Looked at some of the samples people made, will likley use some things. Mine will include some stuff like my SSI log pages; weight used / OK?. (But I do live in SSI land.) Will have my computer profiles as well...

Bob in CO

Bob

I have one, log all my dives and I am over "400 dives". I try toget my dive buddy to sign it unless I am solo then its blank.

If you are planning on doing your DM or Instructor courses then it is a really good idea to log all your dives as they want proof of your diving for that.

When I am travelling and dive a new are/country etc I try and buy a log book from that area, as that adds to it for me in keeping a journal of my dives. I am one of those geeks :-} that has a journal/diary so keeping a dive log isnt hard for me to do.

I still log my dives and download my dive computer as further record. Always nice to be able to pull up water temp, visibility, information for a REEF survey or anything else special seen on the dive. It's also fun to go back and relive a dive from your log.

sambolino44:
After getting my computer, I still enter the dive profiles to check the actual dives against the tables.

I do the same thing. I want to keep up my understanding of how to use the tables correctly in the event that my computer dies on me and I need to go without it for a period of time.

I have to admit i am bad at filling out my log book. In fourteen years of diving , and i dive alot i only have about 75 dives logged. I have only recorded the beginning dives, and most of my out of country dives, and kind of gave up after that. I know it is lazy but what can i say.

Ann Marie:
I love looking back and recalling certain dives! [...] Kind of like looking back through a scrapbook;

SoCalAngel:
I love going back through old dives...it's like being there all over again.
Same for me, that's why I also add some photos, postcards, drawings...
I have made a Flash version for some extracts.
May I invite you to have a look :admingreet:?
It's there (some seconds are needeed to load)

Always good to have a reference when going somplace I havent been for a while to see if I liked the dives

I like looking back on dives, so I keep the log updated. Also helps when changing gear config alot - helps to determine proper weighting.

Never get it signed though..

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom