Do you eat before you dive?

Do you eat before a dive?

• I fast before a dive, liquid only.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I fast before a dive, no food nor liquid.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I eat a light meal before a dive.

Votes: 78 41.1%
  • Eating and diving does not bother me, I eat full meals.

Votes: 99 52.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seasickness is a huge problem for me! I get extremely doped up before I go to bed the night before...But- If I don't eat before I dive (and eat alot at that) I get even sicker!
I don't like feeding the fish!

If I am going to swim head first down the line, I do not eat or drink. The heartburn kills me. Otherwise I eat normally.

I have a tendancy to get sea sick so I always eat a full meal before going out on the ocean. Having your stomach full will help with sea sickness.

The best pre-dive food I've had was the wonderful, spicy hot Indonesian food Eco Divers served for lunch on the boats off Tasik Ria.

I'm lucky in that I have never been given to any sort of motion sickness. And I LOVE food!

Before, after, whatever ... I'd eat DURING the dive if I could figure out a practical way to pull it off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have puked through a regulator before, several years ago just after I was certified. We were diving out of Islamorada and it was a rather rough day. The french toast I had a bit earlier just didn't want to stay down. As we were descending, I felt the urge to vomit. I just kept my reg in my mouth and let it happen. There were no issues, besides the yellow jack with an affinity for french toast. After the ordeal, I switched to my octo (I wasn't Hogarthian at the time!) very briefly to rinse the remnant chunks out of the second stage. My buddy was within an arms reach at all times, and when it was over, he flipped me an OK and we continued the dive. Note that if I was uncomfortable, I would've thumbed the dive, but truthfully I felt great and there was a heck of a lot less wave action on the bottom than on the surface!

Despite this, I still eat before virtually every dive. Calories=Warmth!

Oh, IIRC, the epiglottis is closed while vomitting, so it would behoove you to not ascend while actively vomitting.

Cheers,

Anthony

The worst, most uncomfortable dive I've ever had was after a very large breakfast. I was sooooooo full that I couldn't breath deeply and slowly and never got comfortable. I learned from that experience that a light meal before and snacking while diving works best for me, saving my major meal of the day for after diving is complete.

fisherdvm:
HAVE YOU EVER PUKED THROUGH A REGULATOR BEFORE??

I haven't but one of my students has. They were doing a fun dive during the advanced class and she said she felt something urping up. She said she remembered I told them they could vomit underwater through the reg and that's what she did. She purged the reg while vomiting and let off to inhale. The only thing is she didn't do a great job of rinsing the regulator afterward. She said she swished it around during the dive then rinsed it after the dive but when it went to the shop to be rebuilt 4 months later...well, lets just say the tech nearly lost his lunch too :11:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom