Do you eat before you dive?

Do you eat before a dive?

• I fast before a dive, liquid only.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I fast before a dive, no food nor liquid.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I eat a light meal before a dive.

Votes: 78 41.1%
  • Eating and diving does not bother me, I eat full meals.

Votes: 99 52.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course! At the risk of repeating what may have been said earlier, on a liveaboard it's "eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, sleep." Repeat the next day. (My wife likes to throw one other activity in there, but that's for a different thread.:eyebrow:)

Always eat before diving. NEVER wait the 1/2 hour (yes I'm going to die!)

Taco bell before afternoon/night dives (Gotta get that 4th meal in)! Sometimes Subway occasionally the snack bar at the quarry on a weekend when they are open.

Light breakfast ...hate being stuffed when I dive. Hearty lunch and plentiful snacks (fruit cookies etc) then light dinner. Would rather wake up a bit on the hungry side than toss and turn all night with indigestion on a full stomach.

I usually eat a normal (for me) breakfast, but I've never been able to hit the water any sooner than several hours after that. It's not comfortable to dive on a very full stomach, but it's also distracting and tiring if you're too hungry. I try to split the difference.

I have puked through the reg, and I was pleasantly surprised at how uneventful it was. Thanks for the tip about not ascending while puking.

I have been seasick before, but not terribly, and never while diving. I've heard that it goes away when you get in the water, but most people are reluctant to begin a dive when everything's not right. No surprise there.

I got both sea sick on the surface before my first dive, then puked through my reg (twice) during the second dive. Just a rough trip. I made sure to hit the purge button after puking through the reg otherwise you get a bad taste. My regs got a good rinse afer the dive, but who knows what it will be like when I take them in for servicing.

Mmm....food....

Yep, I eat breakfast, sometimes on the ride out. Usually like to eat something light
either during the interval or on the ride in.

I get seasick really easy without medication, but I wear a Scop patch and am quite fine. I go from being the first guy hurling to snickering at the folks that turn green. It's a magic patch, I swear.

I eat normally before dives although I dive pretty much every day so would have a pretty poor diet if I didn't.
As for vomitting through a regulator, it's much more preferable (& safer) than surfacing to vomit. Just remember to purge it once you're done & give it a good clean after the dive. My preference is to take the reg out before being sick but that takes a bit mroe practice so that you don't inhale water.

Hmmm...usually if it's a morning dive, I usually eat a light breakfast and a power boar about 30 minutes to an hour before diving....I usually eat one on my wednesday everning quarry dives for an added burst of energy since we usually go out to eat AFTER the dive (and I usually hadn't eaten since noon)

Now on weekend local dives, I may have something beforehand to tide me over until the surface interval, but have eaten most anything in between dives..in fact the last time I was on a weekend, we had spicy chili! hahaha! (well it WAS cold out that day!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom