Do you eat at real Sushi restaurants or phony ones?

Sushi Poll

• Did your last sushi bar have a fully trained and qualified head sushi chef?

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • When you entered the establishment does the sushi chef recognize you immediately.

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Do you eat at a table, or do you eat at the bar where you can see the food being prepared?

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Have you tried raw urchin combined with rice in a proper seaweed wrap?

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • I don’t care about what sushi I get because I drown it out with beer.

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I eat it in Japan so it's real enough. Actually I prefer sashimi.

As for fugu - if someone dies from eating fugu in Japan the chef is up on a murder charge.

(and no...I don't like urchin - my wife always gets mine, she loves it!)

Kim:
As for fugu - if someone dies from eating fugu in Japan the chef is up on a murder charge.
Really? How often does that happen?

catherine96821:
Great sushi is wonderful and I just bought my BF a very expensive sushi knife because he wants to learn he says... I dread having to eat that, too.
As long as the fish is extremely fresh and doesn't contain parasites, his sushi may be ugly, but it should still taste good. Give him some time.

Here's a good tutorial on how to make the rice and vinegar and a note on buying fish:

http://www.bupkis.org/index.asp?dir=/sushi/

Buying the fish locally may be easy or impossible depending on where you live. I ended up buying mine from sushifoods.com because I don't have any reliable (and trustworthy) suppliers near me.

I fillet it, vacuum seal individual portions, then fast freeze it in a box full of crushed dry-ice, then toss it into the regular freezer.

As for the knife, the biggest trick is keeping it sharp. Even a $200 knife will be worthless after a while if it isn't regularly steeled and sharpened when necessary.

I don't know what you bought him, but if it's a sashimi knife, it probably has a very narrow angle cut on the blade and if it's a Japanese knife, probably has a one-sided edge. These must be sharpened either with a stone or sharpener like this:
http://edgeproinc.com/. If not, you'll ruin the knife.

It is worth all the effort. Once he gets good, you can have all sorts of great sushi whenever you want it. Initially it will be much less expensive than going out. However once your friends find out, you'll suddenly be making sushi for 8 instead of two, which tends to raise the cost.

Tery

Rick Inman:
Really? How often does that happen?
Not very often these days. The training and required license that anyone who prepares fugu is required to have is incredible. In fact there have been virtually no deaths in accredited fugu restaurants for years. The deaths that do occur are almost exclusively due to incorrect preparation by non-qualified people, or accidents (often among fisherman). I live very close to Shimonoseki, which is the fugu capital of Japan. We eat fugu every year.

I've already warned about trout sushi. I forgot to mention shark sushi or actually sashimi is also to be avoided. It is tasty, but not good for you. I was once sittting on a mooring on a cruise home after a long distance race and the boat that picked up the mooring next to me had just cought a mako and shared it with me. It was great bbq and tasty as sashimi, but only later did I learn one should not eat raw shark. (Although I do tend to think it is sort of apropos.)

ItsBruce:
I've already warned about trout sushi. I forgot to mention shark sushi or actually sashimi is also to be avoided. It is tasty, but not good for you. I was once sittting on a mooring on a cruise home after a long distance race and the boat that picked up the mooring next to me had just cought a mako and shared it with me. It was great bbq and tasty as sashimi, but only later did I learn one should not eat raw shark. (Although I do tend to think it is sort of apropos.)
Why should you not eat raw trout or shark?

I dont eat Sushi that often, only ever had it in Singapore, but I love fish and have prepared a few raw fish dishes with fresh salmon and halibut and monkfish (not sushi style)
Just curious as I'm a chef by trade, I like fish 'just' cooked - it will be virtually raw in the middle - like a rare steak ..........

How come this thread ends up in Underwater Hunting?

Trout: Does not taste too good raw.
Shark: They will eat anything and apparently, that gets into their flesh.
One other warning: If you go out on the half-day fishing boat, don't sample the bait or the catch -- it really upsets those around you to see you sampling the bait. (Don't ask how I know.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom