Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil@1877SCUBAUSA.COM:
Three reasons sport divers don't wear snorkels;
1.E
2.G
3.O
-----
Ego.

Get stuck on a granny line waiting to get to the ladder in rough seas and you'll be glad you wore one.

One good reason to wear one:
With mask on face, snorkel in mouth, face in water you are pretty much Drown Proof

I like it...:wink:

Phil@1877SCUBAUSA.COM:
With mask on face, snorkel in mouth, face in water you are pretty much Drown Proof

That's a strong statement Phil.
Hopefully after 371 posts you won't get burned too badly. I think the flames have died down.

At this point pretty much every argument for and against has been examined in finer detail than anyone would ever want.

Phil@1877SCUBAUSA.COM:
Three reasons sport divers don't wear snorkels;
1.E
2.G
3.O
-----
Ego.

pot.
kettle.
black.

Get stuck on a granny line waiting to get to the ladder in rough seas and you'll be glad you wore one.

regulators are better. gas management helps.

I do not use a snorkle. Using one is a pain and does me no good. If I have to swim any distance, I pump up the vest and swim on my back. When I attach a snorlkle, I have a way of loosing it under water. It is just gone when I reach the surface.

A reading from the Book of Scuba Gear, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Sacred Snorkel of Doom, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that
with it thou mayst slay those who dare use it, in thy mercy." And the people did
rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and
orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou affixeth the
snorkel-keeper to the mask. The snorkel-keeper shall have two openings at either
end. Two shall be the number of the openings and the number of the openings shall be
two. Three openings are an abomination. Neither shalt one opening suffice, excepting
that thou then proceedeth to make a second opening by hand. Five openings is right
out. Once the snorkel has been placed through the two openings, two being the
number of the openings, then hand the mask with the Sacred Snorkel of Doom affixed thereunto to thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Hi;
I am a new diver. I believe that I will always where a snorkel for every dive because I see it like a insurance. I believe diving without one is like buying a car alarm right after your car is been stolen.

I have read the some magazine and even in my scuba text book for my certification as a open water diver that the sport of diving is about safety and preparing ahead of time with extra equiptment, etc.

Just imagen been out there and running out of air and you need to swim back to short. Having the snorkel alout you to swim normaly back to land with less effort. I belive that the snorkel is standard equiptment for every dive I do...

My personal Opiniom;

MSilvia:
It strikes me as funny that there seems to be a persistant belief that back inflate or BP/Wing will "flip you face down on the surface" when most of us who use them surface swim on our backs. No, I don't usually wear a snorkle either unless I'm snorkelling.
WOW...doesn't get any truer than that. Most of my budies dive BPs, and most of us swim on our backs.
MSilvia:
Must be nice... around here you'd be lucky to see the bottom from the surface in 15 feet of water.
And that's why.

Needless to say, I dive with very few people who wear a snorkel.

H2Andy:
ok... i guess i'm asking you what the difference is

what difference do you see between Northern and Southern divers?

and since you said "wonder why" i thought maybe you had an opinion
as to why that was
I don't know about on this board, but some of the Southern divers I've met in person had accents, most of the divers up here don't.

H2Andy:
A reading from the Book of Scuba Gear, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Sacred Snorkel of Doom, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that
with it thou mayst slay those who dare use it, in thy mercy." And the people did
rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and
orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou affixeth the
snorkel-keeper to the mask. The snorkel-keeper shall have two openings at either
end. Two shall be the number of the openings and the number of the openings shall be
two. Three openings are an abomination. Neither shalt one opening suffice, excepting
that thou then proceedeth to make a second opening by hand. Five openings is right
out. Once the snorkel has been placed through the two openings, two being the
number of the openings, then hand the mask with the Sacred Snorkel of Doom affixed thereunto to thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Yeehaw!!! Too much! Andy, you bad...man...you bad!! :rofl:

Rob

grunzster:
I don't know about on this board, but some of the Southern divers I've met in person had accents, most of the divers up here don't.

LOL!!!!

i know tons of people from New York and New Jersey, and, i hate to mention this,
but.... they have these... accents, you know?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom