Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
big b:
I agree there are a lot of what if's but how much room does a snorkle take.

Its not the room its the fact its 100% useless in the situations described anyway.

As for whoever made the comment there are no scuba police, unfortunately there are. Some areas (california i believe?) force a snorkel onto divers, someone mentioned boat policies demanding one and of course padi standards force it onto people so yes there are.

Unfortunately its things like this furthering the brainwashing.

LuvsItWet:
Had I not been wearing one, I would have SURELY drowned! Read about my "near death experience" in "accidents and incidents"!

For those who wish to argue that they will never be in a situation where you have to do more than "chill" and wait, they should read your near death experience. From someone who has almost drowned myself, I'm glad to see you made it back.

My own near drowning wasn't with scuba and I do not know the details, I blacked out when I couldn't find my way up and found myself standing on the beach later. Regardless, the experience of running out of air and having nothing at hand to deal with it taught me something important - you can over prepare but you can never under prepare.

Maybe I'll never NEED a snorkel, but having one doesn't hurt me. If it gets in my way, I can take others advice on this thread and stow it for quick retrieval. If I'm ever in a bad situation again and it proves useful, it will be worth all the hassle.

String:
Its not the room its the fact its 100% useless in the situations described anyway.

String,

I totally respect your opinion about the whole snorkel thing. But why are you so determined to completley turn everybody off them? I wear one all the time, and I disagree with your argument. Nothing you say will change my mind. But newbies are much more convincable, so why not let some of the newer divers find out for themselves and make their own decisions!! This board is obviously about opinions n stuff, but I got your point after your 1st post on the subject!!

This is a friendly post by the way :D

SF

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
The only time I EVER wear a snorkel is when I am snorkeling OR I am doing OW training dives..

When I dive OC I am on doubles and If I need to I can go on a reg, Gas management has never been an issue.. Normally its pretty easy to keep your head above the water even inlarge swells.. I've been in 10ft+ sees and still did not see the need to go to a snorkel..

Nowadays, most of my diving is on a RB and you CAN"T wear a snorkel without it constantly getting in the way..

I Do carry one in my drysuit pocket only so I don;t forget it for places that REQUIRE a snorkel by law or local regulation..

I know in several places of SOCAL you will get a fine for not having a snorkel.

big b:
as a PADI instructor always remember that statment that you signed that " I agree to abide by PADI standards" PADI standards includee use and wearing of a snorkel . and what happens when you come up in a chop or serious wave action where is your are situation if you are using your tank air what if a long surface swim is involved. I agree there are a lot of what if's but how much room does a snorkle take.

Are you saying that it is in PADI standards to HAVE a snorkel on you at all times? I dont recall that.

ScubaFreak:
String,

I totally respect your opinion about the whole snorkel thing. But why are you so determined to completley turn everybody off them? I wear one all the time, and I disagree with your argument. Nothing you say will change my mind. But newbies are much more convincable, so why not let some of the newer divers find out for themselves and make their own decisions!! This board is obviously about opinions n stuff, but I got your point after your 1st post on the subject!!

This is a friendly post by the way :D

SF
I think whats happening is that when string airs his opinion on the matter he is immediatly shot down by others who say that his opinion is wrong.
String is trying to get his point across that a snorkel is not an important piece of saftey equipment, a view that is shared by many, and it shouldnt be touted as such. Noobie divers shouldnt be indoctrinated to think that diving without a snorkel is dangerous, or could lead to an accident when it is in fact a completely useless piece of plastic when applied in Scuba Diving. It is entirely a matter of personal choice to use and carry a snorkel or not. If you feel you must have one then by all means carry one but dont go shouting to noobie divers that they MUST carry one.

BTW- This is also a friendly post :)

Originally Posted by BigJetDriver69:
I said: "Well, String, I haven't the faintest idea why you so vehemently foam at the mouth when presented with the sight of a snork. Perhaps your mother was attacked by one when you were in the womb?"

And you said: "Because its an entirely worthless piece of plastic forced onto people by agency brainwashing that has no useful purposes and if worn can hinder a dive as opposed to help."

Unfortunately for your contention, a whole lot of people came up with real-life stories of cases where a snork was not only useful, but in some cases, actually a life-saving device.

Now, to be fair, there are situations where having it strapped to your head would, as you suggest, "hinder a dive as opposed to help." I might suggest that public safety diving, caving, and poking around in kelp forests might be some examples.

So then I said: "It is a piece of plastic pipe. It is simply a tool, nothing more. If you have a use for it, use it. If not, don't. Otherwise, there's really no need to get your knickers in such a twist about it."

And you replied: "Thats fine but there are so many false claims in here about it being a safety device it cant really be ignored. The last thing wanted is another generation of new divers reading some of this and deciding its essential."

Unfortunately for your last comment, we have proven, anecdotally at least in this discussion, that there are times when IT CAN BE ESSENTIAL. (Ed. note: Ref. true accounts by other writers--this Board.)

I then suggested: "Mayhap your technique is so good that you float above the chop in any sea. Somehow I doubt it, but it's impressive if so."

Your reply was this: "Positive buoynacy (sic) isnt hard to acheive. (sic) Once floating you can breath (sic) normally or float on back (sic) or use the reg. A small plastic pipe is going to have no affect (sic) what so ever in heavy chop. It will simply get swamped.

I would certainly agree that positive bouyancy is NOT hard to achieve. It is simple to inflate one's wing or BC, either with the inflator button or orally. With mask on, reg in mouth, and gas bag inflated, you are a happy lad, or gal!! :wink:

Now we get to the situation, which you have obviously been fortunate enough NOT to have been in, where your gas supply is low or non-existant for any number of reasons beyond your control. You are in heavy, or confused seas, and the waves are crashing over your head.

Surpisingly, or not so surprisingly to those who HAVE been there, that little devil of a plastic or rubber pipe will work VERY well to keep the briny deep from invading your warm little body!! :11:

I would just note, again, that military rescue swimmers find a use for a snork in rough seas. I guess you are just better than they are!

Of course, your answer was: "Rescue *SWIMMER* is not a scuba diver."

Here I would simply point out that "Rescue Swimmer" is a job title, but every one that I've ever met was a diver, and a damn fine one at that. Considering the way they are trained, and the shape they are in, I would recommend that you not get too snotty with those lads, lest they bend and twist you like a pretzel, and chuck you overboard!! :eyebrow:

Your comment in another post was about the idea of carrying one with you, and you said: "Its not the room, its the fact its 100% useless in the situations described anyway."

We have demolished that contention perfectly well in the many re-countings of actual events as posted by many other writers on this Board.

You then said: "As for whoever made the comment there are no scuba police, unfortunately there are. Some areas (california i believe?) (sic) force a snorkel onto divers, someone mentioned boat policies demanding one and of course padi (sic) standards force it onto people so yes there are. (sic) Unfortunately its things like this furthering the brainwashing.

Now, I made a comment to one of our other writers, who is an attorney by trade and a Devil's Advocate as a hobbyist, that while, yes, I am, in fact, SCUBA Police in a sense, I would never be citing anyone for "PUBLIC SNORKING" or "FAILURE TO SNORK"!!

Unfortunately, there are some divers who just cannot resist getting onto a boat and giving other divers, whom they perceive as "newbies", or less God-like than themselves, a loud and abrasive hard time.

I would certainly hope that your mother taught you better manners than that! If not, I would have to tell you what I told one loud-mouth not too long ago. "Hey, strap the weights to your body with barbed-wire and dive NAKED if that's what you want, BUT JUST SHUT THE HECK UP AND DIVE!!!" :furious:

The un-spoken sub-text here is that if you are in my jurisdiction, and you keep that kind of foolishness up, you could well find your self with a citation for "Creating a Public Nuisance"!

So, getting back to the original question, to whit: "To SNORK?...or NOT TO SNORK?...That is the question!"

The answer is simple. It is just a tool. At times it has its uses. At least carry one with you in open water. You may find that it is REALLY useful if certain situations arise.

To quote Mr. Natural: "Get the right tool for the job, Kids!" :doctor:

Cheers!

Rob Davie

Azza:
If you feel you must have one (a snork) then by all means carry one but dont go shouting to noobie divers that they MUST carry one.

BTW- This is also a friendly post :)

By the same token, don't go shouting to noobie divers that they MUST NOT carry one.

BTW-This is also a friendly post. :07:

BJD "C'est la bloody guerre!' as the Brits are wont to say."

lots of friendly posts tonight...

Can you feel the love ?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom