Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dearman:
So, for those who really want to know whether to use one or not, that's the two sides. It's up to you to decide what you think.

Thats the fairest summary of this thread to date.

string:
Which i disagree with 100%. My view is if you think you need a snorkel you need to re-learn your skills.

So because I choose to dive with a snorkel and because I find my snorkel useful I have to relearn my skills- Sorry String but thats a load of Horse ****. (Sorry mods)

Fair enough you dont agree that snorkels are a useful device, but when you start implying that people using them need to "re-learn" their skills, thats going too far.
You come from a good diving background. BSAC skills are top notch and to be honest I would expect a more professional attitude from a diver of your standard.
Your post comes across as very much "I'm right and you're wrong", and that, is something that I have no time for.

Scubafreak

String:
ALL of which i (sic) would class as absolute garbage. Again id (sic) say the people are either making it up or not thinking of the alternatives. See above.

Which i (sic) disagree with 100%. My view is if you think you need a snorkel you need to re-learn your skills.

So for diving use dive gear, for snorkelling, use a snorkel. The two are not compatible.

Folks,

There it is, the latest missive from our friend in the U.K. who cannot bother to spell or punctuate properly, but who knows BETTER than anyone from any of the training agencies how it MUST be done!

Wow! I am sure that all of you who were kind enough to post stories of how the lowly snork was useful to you, and perhaps even a life-saving device are just THRILLED to know that you are "full of garbage", according to our self-proclaimed expert, Mr. String. Not only that, but according to this chap, who by his posts seems to feel that he is (or at least should be) Chief Training Officer for B.S.A.C. International, YOU ARE NOT ONLY FULL OF GARBAGE BUT DELUDED AND POORLY TRAINED AS WELL. :11:

I am sure you all will be stunned to know how messed up you are, but.....there it is.

And, of course, it must be so because, after all, Mr. String said so!

So folks, how do you feel now? :11:

Rob Davie

I use my snorkel when I'm SNORKELLING! Otherwise it stays in my bag. There is absolutely no use for a snorkel on an open water dive. If you have enough lift in your BC/wings, you are fully inflated at the surface and have managed your gas throughout the dive, you will have plenty of gas to stay inflated on the surface while the waves bring you up and down.

If you start getting water in your mouth, you should be able to put in your regulator until it is your turn to get on the boat or back to shore on a surface swim.

i feel like we've crossed a line here and gone from talking about ideas to
calling people names.

come on, we're talking about snorkels. let's please be mature about this.

MAK52580:
I use my snorkel when I'm SNORKELLING! Otherwise it stays in my bag. There is absolutely no use for a snorkel on an open water dive. If you have enough lift in your BC/wings, you are fully inflated at the surface and have managed your gas throughout the dive, you will have plenty of gas to stay inflated on the surface while the waves bring you up and down.

If you start getting water in your mouth, you should be able to put in your regulator until it is your turn to get on the boat or back to shore on a surface swim.

Anyone diving without a snorkel does not understand the uses for it. There are many diver educational programs that offer instruction as to the snorkel's proper use and will site situations where it is a safety device.

MAK525890,
I think we've already mentioned your point. We are currently decided whether peoples scenarios are reasonable, their personal related experiences true and whether the points made in them were the correct solution to the problem at hand.

bigjet,
I misspell too. Still hope I'm in good standing.

BTW - I'm working the 7E7, hope you'll like it.

String,
Personally I think we should burry the "liar" arguement on the personal scenarios. Where I come from, that's the lowest insult. Even if they were untrue, the circumstances are possible. Since we are trying to bring back some civility, I suggest we discuss the alternatives in technique in the scenarios.

Everyone,
Basically, a failed primary source of air, stormy seas, troubled bouyancy and lost at sea - does the snorkel help you, hurt you, save you or make no difference?

H2Andy:
i feel like we've crossed a line here and gone from talking about ideas to
calling people names.

come on, we're talking about snorkels. let's please be mature about this.
328 posts on using a snorkel or not... unbelievable.

BigJetDriver69:
Good post! Good advice!

I know you feel the "love", but do you feel the _____________ (insert beverage of choice--Guinness, Abbot Ale, etc.)?

What's the brew of choice in NZ? Hoist one for us, after the "diving" flag is down for the day, of course!

Cheers! :coke:

Rob
At this time my brew of choice would be Montieths Original Ale. Nice refreshing organic necter of the gods.
As for top shelf I have to admit I drink Australia's finest Bundaberg Rum with a dash of coke.

ABQ:
Anyone diving without a snorkel does not understand the uses for it. There are many diver educational programs that offer instruction as to the snorkel's proper use and will site situations where it is a safety device.

I dive without a snorkel and I understand perfectly what its use is for. Its to allow a freediver or spearo to rest face down in the water and spot game before beginning a breath hold dive. Its also for snorkellers to swim along the surface and look what is beneath them.
I only use a snorkel if working with students. I have never needed to use it in scuba, not once. I dive in an area called the Cook Strait. If you look at a map of New Zealand you will find its a 11 mile gap in an otherwise 1000 mile long land mass. This has bizarre circumstances on the tides to the effect where when it is high tide at one end of the straight, its low tide at the other. This creates ripping currents, swell, and add to that the frequent high winds Wellington is infamous for, you get some pretty gnarly surface conditions. We never ascend up a shot line as it would be dangerous to anchor the vessel with the high possibility of divers ascending far from the boat and joining the South Coast Drifters Club before the vessel has upped anchor. Next stop Antartctica or, depending on the current, Chile.
I have encountered swells big enough to pick me up and throw me into the boat. I have constantly been smacked about the face by wind swell. NEVER have I NEEDED a snorkel. I know other divers who have used them and find they fill up with water too fast and without notice causing them to breathe great big mouthfuls of sea water.
Personally I choose not to use one. However dont tell me that I dont know what a snorkel is for.

Personal choice folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom