Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigJetDriver69:
Hello, there in the Emerald Isles! It's probaly a result of copious amounts of Guinness being applied internally!! :07:

Rob

No guiness this evening...drinking in work is strictly frowned upon....unfortunately :D

BigJetDriver69:
By the same token, don't go shouting to noobie divers that they MUST NOT carry one.

I agree. As I said in an earlier post, its a personal choice. Some people feel they need it, some they dont. I suggest to those who are not sure that perhaps you might as well carry it until you decide one way or the other if you need it or not, but if you dont carry it, dont panic about it.

I feel the love :07:

ha! After 313 posts, I think this thread is finally starting to go round in circles.

But most Importantly- I reckon it's gonna finish with a group hug...

Azza:
I agree. As I said in an earlier post, its a personal choice. Some people feel they need it, some they dont. I suggest to those who are not sure that perhaps you might as well carry it until you decide one way or the other if you need it or not, but if you dont carry it, dont panic about it.

I feel the love :07:

Good post! Good advice!

I know you feel the "love", but do you feel the _____________ (insert beverage of choice--Guinness, Abbot Ale, etc.)?

What's the brew of choice in NZ? Hoist one for us, after the "diving" flag is down for the day, of course!

Cheers! :coke:

Rob

Speaking of beverages of choice, who carries drinking water with them when diving in salt water? (I don't think this thread should be allowed to die until it hits 1000 posts)

Stirling:
Speaking of beverages of choice, who carries drinking water with them when diving in salt water? (I don't think this thread should be allowed to die until it hits 1000 posts)

I do. Along with my snorkel.

ScubaFreak:
I totally respect your opinion about the whole snorkel thing. But why are you so determined to completley turn everybody off them? I wear one all the time, and I disagree with your argument. Nothing you say will change my mind. But newbies are much more convincable, so why not let some of the newer divers find out for themselves and make their own decisions!! This board is obviously about opinions n stuff, but I got your point after your 1st post on the subject!!

Thats fine, its personal preference however all the posts calling snorkels a safety aid could well fool a new or inexperienced diver into thinking they are which is why i respond. If it was a simple, pro/con thread then fine but the line was crossed when people started calling them safety devices and inventing false scenarios where in their warped and ill thought out logic think theyre useful.

The balance went out of the window when people started doing that.

My own opinion, they have no purposes what so ever in diving and can be dangerous in some incidences.

At this point I think the subject has been beaten to death. I'll summarize the points and the sides:

1) It is required equipment
Snorkelers say - often required by agency rules and regulations and some rare locales, but must likely only policed in training.
Non snorkelers - Same as above, but the rules should change.
2) It is safety equipment
Snorkelers say - Some agree some don't. Several have sited personnal experiences.
Non Snorkelers say - Not safety equipment. Personal experiences cited do not change their opinion.
3) You should wear or carry one
Snorkelers say - It has a variety of uses and can be used in a manner that doesn't get in the way (non-tech applications) therefore it is worth having. Some say personal choice. I don't recall any who said they would frown upon you opting out except in training due to the requirements.
Non Snorkelers say - Two camps. Those who say it's purely a personal choice and those who will frown upon anyone carrying one.
4) It's useful (apart from the safety argument)
Snorkelers say - Allows different options in swimming, rest, conserves air for buoyancy and gives you a show to watch on your swim home.
Non Snorkelers say - It interferes with your other equipment, it has no useful value, it has higher levels of CO2, it floods and it provides no value that a regulator doesn't fill in a better way.

So, for those who really want to know whether to use one or not, that's the two sides. It's up to you to decide what you think.

BigJetDriver69:
Unfortunately for your contention, a whole lot of people came up with real-life stories of cases where a snork was not only useful, but in some cases, actually a life-saving device.

ALL of which i would class as absolute garbage. Did the people use a snorkel? Yes. Was it essential ? No. In all the situations mentioned there were other and potentially far better solutions. Not one of those stories showed that a snorkel is a better option than the alternatives, merely in some cases highlighted the divers own lack of thought/knowledge or agency brainwashing.

Unfortunately for your last comment, we have proven, anecdotally at least in this discussion, that there are times when IT CAN BE ESSENTIAL. (Ed. note: Ref. true accounts by other writers--this Board.)

Again id say the people are either making it up or not thinking of the alternatives. See above.

I then suggested: "Mayhap your technique is so good that you float above the chop in any sea. Somehow I doubt it, but it's impressive if so."

Now we get to the situation, which you have obviously been fortunate enough NOT to have been in, where your gas supply is low or non-existant for any number of reasons beyond your control. You are in heavy, or confused seas, and the waves are crashing over your head.

Wrong. I have been in situations like you describe as have several others. In fact its far from uncommon to have to wait around for a boat to pick you up as returning to any sort of shot line just isnt done here. Seas are often rough and you commonly surface after the slack water window has ended as as well as wind/rough seas you have 2-4kt+ currents to content with. Not one person relies on a snorkel and the only person (who was padi brainwashed) tried one, found it was worse than useless in the situation and quickly learny to handle it the same way everyone else did. If waves are crashing over your head a snorkel ISNT going to help one little bit. Snorkels dont magically turn water into oxygen.

Surpisingly, or not so surprisingly to those who HAVE been there, that little devil of a plastic or rubber pipe will work VERY well to keep the briny deep from invading your warm little body!! :11:

Surprisingly for you, those people who have been there here are all in agreement that the snorkel is in no use what so ever.

Here I would simply point out that "Rescue Swimmer" is a job title, but every one that I've ever met was a diver, and a damn fine one at that. Considering the way they are trained, and the shape they are in, I would recommend that you not get too snotty with those lads, lest they bend and twist you like a pretzel, and chuck you overboard!! :eyebrow:

Different purposes. Rescue swimmers tend not to be wearing dive gear so dont have any of the advantages the dive kit offers.

We have demolished that contention perfectly well in the many re-countings of actual events as posted by many other writers on this Board.

No you invented scenarios which were poorly thought out pretending a snorkel would help then promptly ignored the suggestions by myself and others which would have meant it wouldnt be needed or help.

Now, I made a comment to one of our other writers, who is an attorney by trade and a Devil's Advocate as a hobbyist, that while, yes, I am, in fact, SCUBA Police in a sense, I would never be citing anyone for "PUBLIC SNORKING" or "FAILURE TO SNORK"!!

The context in which the thing was phrased was quite clear - there are some ill thinking areas where you will not be permitted to dive without a snorkel.

Unfortunately, there are some divers who just cannot resist getting onto a boat and giving other divers, whom they perceive as "newbies", or less God-like than themselves, a loud and abrasive hard time.

... and equally unfortunately there are people that will ramble off the agencies doctrine without a bit of thought as to whether it made sense or not.

I would certainly hope that your mother taught you better manners than that! If not, I would have to tell you what I told one loud-mouth not too long ago. "Hey, strap the weights to your body with barbed-wire and dive NAKED if that's what you want, BUT JUST SHUT THE HECK UP AND DIVE!!!" :furious:

Im all for just shutting up and diving. Im all for debates into pros/cons of equipment but i really object to people making false claims about safety and such would could easily confuse the uninitiated.

At times it has its uses. At least carry one with you in open water. You may find that it is REALLY useful if certain situations arise.

Which i disagree with 100%. My view is if you think you need a snorkel you need to re-learn your skills.

To quote Mr. Natural: "Get the right tool for the job, Kids!" :doctor:

So for diving use dive gear, for snorkelling, use a snorkel. The two are not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom