Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this bean dip guy really a PADI instructor? If so is what he is saying consistent with what PADI teaches?

Look at the avatar of those posting on this thread.

Hmm. I always thought that was a tongue in cheek joke "PADI DIR Scuba Diver".

Even so, it seems irrelevant to this thread. I ditched the snorkel immediately after my PADI and NAUI OW certs by the recommendation of my instructor who was not DIR. Many non-DIR divers dive without snorkels. I am the only thing close to a DIR diver on this island at the moment, and almost everyone I dive with here just places a snorkel in a pocket because it is base regulation to have one on you.

How did DIR get involved in this?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
(Too odd a reference?)

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip?
3 Orange Whips!

(I use the DIR logo, because I think DIR has the best ideas about a lot of things, and I cherry pick from their ideas regularly, but I am not DIR, to clear that up, because I am not BP/W, and I do not practice standardizing gear. Also the juxtaposition is fun: PADI and GUE stand on opposite sides of a lot of issues. Both have a fair amount to teach each other, I think. The best instructors out there now are the PADI instructors who got GUE training and took it to heart (or vice versa), and made their PADI OW classes into something special. A certain husband and wife team come immediately to mind when I think about these ideas. I am much more firmly placed in the recreational world, because all my people are short visit tourists.)

Is this bean dip guy really a PADI instructor? If so is what he is saying consistent with what PADI teaches?

Is this really the place for insults?

(I'm changing my name- Bean Dip it is! Got the bean in it and I am dippy, for sure.)

No, PADI still believes in including the snorkel in OW class. I am hoping that one day it will be gone, and I am giving my reasons why. But PADI is not listening to me yet, because I have yet to build anything close to a consensus about it. There are far more instructors willing to call snorkels bad than there used to be but there are still overall only a few. I don't think GUE uses them, and they teach OW classes now. (Not a GUE instructor, and don't know any personally.)

Patience is my friend, I hope. It was in waiting for the tables to be gone (made optional finally) after SDI led the way, and it was in taking away the swim test requirement (made optional finally, now can be done in MFS), though I do not know who led the way on that one.

No...I only carry it/wear it for snorkeling purposes.

That answered one question but not the other. Are you a PADI instructor?

Monty Python.

(Department of odd references department)

Last edited:
Don't use one, but have a folding one tucked away just in case I do.

If one is so happy that the tables are gone how does one teach students the basic facts about decompression theory. Does one look at a set of those horrible tables and see how time and depth interplay with each other or is one just taught to blindly follow whatever the computer is saying? How does one demonstrate what the values expressed on the screen represent or how they are derived? It would seem some sort of graphic representation at some point during the learning phase would help a diving student to "see" what is happening and why time and depth need to be considered.

Just like the snorkel, it would appear to me that knowledge in one area (being able to understand tables) would enhance ability in the other (being able to safely use a computer).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom