Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course taking into account the fact that these are my divers (or at least people on the boat I am on), but not my students, what exactly can be done?

Most instructors are simply unaware of what (for instance) the Hawaii ocean can be like so they think they are teaching adequate snorkel breathing patterns. This is treading into I2I area, but I have said, and I believe, that instructors using pools to train, unconsciously (at least I hope it is unconsciously) end up training people to dive in pool like conditions by not enforcing ocean awareness (airway protected until on dry land, facing the waves, no standing in fins) while they practice in the pool.

Unfortunately, just diving your own area has limited you experience. When I did dived in Hawaii I thought it was pretty tame compared to some other places I’ve dived; Caribbean, Mediterranean, Oman, Indonesia and all around the UK.

That said I am constantly surprised at the number of instructors (from all agencies) whom have difficulty kitting up themselves, let alone teach someone how to use Mask, Fins and Snorkel.
This goes along with what passes for snorkel/free dive training in OW courses. Anyone can free dive in a pool because the surfacing diver can completely exhale to clear the snorkel when they surface, because there are no waves. This makes divers think of snorkels as a magic air tube instead of the garden hose it becomes in the ocean.

If a diver is forced to only partially exhale to clear because there is no reason not to expect a wave, then snorkel clearing becomes a much harder proposition, and the overwhelming urge to breathe just makes that proper breathing pattern go out the window on the never properly learned, and never practiced skill confronts water in the airway in the ocean.

Which makes snorkels stupidly dangerous when these divers come to the real ocean which is only pool-like in order to trick people into acting stupid, and then turns the magic air tube into a garden hose, and then the divers spit out the snorkel, and suck more water, and quit diving for the day, or for good, because someone somewhere made the inane suggestion that snorkels belong on divers heads to save air, or to provide safety.
Snorkels are no more dangerous than any other bit of kit, it’s their inappropriate use.

In the UK - its unfortunate, but not unknown – for a pair of divers to get caught in a current and surface out of sight of their boat. Or surface when the boat is doing another diver pick-up and the pair then drift off - I know it shouldn't happen, but that's the reality of UK diving. If you are floating in the sea for 2-4 hours without a snorkel there is a higher probability of drowning. Why, the wind forces water/salt particles across the surface which a snorkel can help filter our when breathing.

As for a snorkel being a ‘garden hose’, no. There is a link between an individual’s ability to clear a snorkel and its diameter. Too big and water stays in the tube, too small and the individual fells they cannot clear it quickly enough or breath properly. How many on here know how to match a snorkel to a diver?

One solution: revoke everyone's C-Cards until they take a proper Ocean based free diving course, and have the necessary breath control to hit 50 feet comfortably and repetitively, and clear the snorkel on surfacing while only exhaling less than half of the air on their lungs. (Not realistic, because right now few instructors can do this, let alone teach it. It would mean most instructors would lose their basic OW certification.)

And what does the ability to duck-dive to 10-15m have to do with carrying a snorkel when SCUBA diving. I would just put in my reg. See my earlier comment about individual’s ability to clear a snorkel.

Here's another solution: Recognize the world as it is, where inept snorkel use causes panicked divers. Admit that snorkels are not necessary for safety, and in at least some cases, counter productive to safety because the skills are never properly taught, and/or are never practiced, and just move snorkel use to a separate course. Make the leave 500 psi rule that boats idiotically enforce for no good reason make sense by actually providing a reason to leave 500 psi instead of using most of it at the safety stop. (Realistic)

I tend to agree individuals are not sufficiently trained or practiced in snorkel use. I can only comment for BSAC, who do not stipulate the use of snorkels when SCUBA diving.

If I get someone who wants to carry one I’ll teach them how to use it, after checking it’s the right size for them.

I know where I fall, not that I have dove many places; but because I have seen divers from all over the world, and they all can get themselves in trouble by thinking of the snorkel as a reasonable option in the ocean.
See my comment about Hawaii diving above.

(I'm changing my name- Bean Dip it is! Got the bean in it and I am dippy, for sure.)

No, PADI still believes in including the snorkel in OW class. I am hoping that one day it will be gone, and I am giving my reasons why. But PADI is not listening to me yet, because I have yet to build anything close to a consensus about it. There are far more instructors willing to call snorkels bad than there used to be but there are still overall only a few. I don't think GUE uses them, and they teach OW classes now. (Not a GUE instructor, and don't know any personally.)

Patience is my friend, I hope. It was in waiting for the tables to be gone (made optional finally) after SDI led the way, and it was in taking away the swim test requirement (made optional finally, now can be done in MFS), though I do not know who led the way on that one.

So you and other PADI instructors require OW students to buy an item that you don't just consider to be useless you think it is dangerous. What is the thinking there? "Say anything in order to get them to buy everything and only after the check clears tell them that some of these things are dangerous." A bad lawyer might be able to make a case that this is fraud. A good lawyer might make a case that you are deliberately endangering people's lives just so you can sell them a $20 snorkel.

The only time I bring my snorkel is when I go out on a boat. All the shore dives I never bring it, I guess it could be consider as a bad habit.

The snorkel is preferable to the reg on some shore dives involving a surface swim because it allows one to look straight ahead, and negotiate obstacles and not use tank air.

Those reasons are good enough for me to justify recommending snorkel use for shore dives. I also recommend that snorkels are carried on ocean dives. I don't have one attached to the mask in the ocean, but I carry one in case I am forced to ditch equipment and swim. Shikata-ga nai is not an option in the open sea when/if things go wrong.

Being realistic means showing awareness. I would argue that you are not in that you are arguing through your own confined situation of being an instructor teaching Japanese tourists, which is not indicative of the diving world as a whole. That, is being obtuse. I'm yet to hear the statistics in snorkel use leading to diver accidents, which one would assume would be rampant seeing as many divers continue to use them even though they are "stupidly dangerous". :rofl3:

When the situation means using a snorkel to benefit the user, then by all means use the snorkel. If as a diver, you can not use a snorkel, then don't. The snorkel is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

しょうがないって.誰も分からへんよ.

This is continuing to make the assumption that snorkels are 'safety equipment' for regular divers, even when presented with reasons to think otherwise.

First let's analyze the shore dive:

Am I picturing the dive correctly? I am assuming I am.

I am picturing it as the fringing reef with cuts where an outgoing tide, and the return water from the waves, creates, at times, the conditions you mentioned earlier where turning the head sideways can pull the mask off or at least away from the face, and having a snorkel makes that more likely.

Fair enough, then, to also say that the only reason to use the snorkel on those shore dives (rather than a reg) is (only) to save air. My argument there is that the amount of air you are saving is so minimal as to be unimportant, since the return has to be planned with the assumption that you might have to come back on scuba. And given the fact that on the return, a snorkel makes mask leakage a real problem at a time when the divers have both hands are busy makes me take the snorkels off of divers before that dive to prevent problems.The places I have dove like that, both hand are often busy with the rope placed to get divers back, or some bottom feature to make return even possible.

Assuming we are doing the same type of dive, you choose saving a small amount of air, and I choose mask security. In other words safety is against the snorkel.

With regards to Japanese, almost all my students are Japanese, but the fun divers are from everywhere. The Japanese divers are not the ones having problems, because the Japanese listen to the briefs and remove their snorkels from their mask, or failing that, never take the regs out from before the giant stride until they are back standing on the boat.

The people who have problems are the ones who try and use their snorkels. If you say you don't have people run into problems using snorkels then you don't, but that does not make them safer than not having one. I do see people using snorkels get into trouble because someone has told them that snorkels are "safety equipment" (that just gets them in trouble) or snorkels are useful to 'save air'. (I also get to see people orally inflate their BCDs to 'save air'.)

So choosing potential choking, or additional mask problems, in order to 'save air' on only some dives is, to me, obtuse.

This is why I am not sure what justification one can make to say that snorkels make things safer. If someone says people don't have problems caused by snorkels, that is ignoring the fact that snorkels do in fact cause problems underwater for your divers. (You mentioned this earlier, about the current making mask problems more likely for diver wearing snorkels.)

I am not coming at this with any assumptions about snorkels, being safe or not safe. I see snorkels causing problems and removing them solving them.

It seems like you are starting with the statement "Snorkels are safety equipment", and not budging off that even when presented with examples of them causing problems, instead saying it is the divers fault for not being better at whatever (mask clearing, snorkel breathing).

You see divers having snorkel-related problems, but despite that, you say wearing snorkels makes one safer. I see divers having snorkel related problems, and see that removing them solves the problems, therefore I say snorkels make divers less safe. One of us is being obtuse, perhaps.

Are snorkels 'safety equipment' in the open ocean? Open ocean tech divers who do get stuck in the ocean for far longer with front slung tanks don't consider them as making things safer. Just the opposite. Because tech divers are not operating from old habit assumptions and they spend far longer at the surface, further away from shore than rec divers, they should be a good place to look to see if snorkels are being used. And they are not. In general tech divers consider them unsafe. I have seen some struggle to bring one along only to find the only ones flexible enough to carry safely are useless in real conditions.

Moreover snorkels use in waves is not useful even with a rigid snorkel. If one is stuck at the surface in the open ocean, far from boat or shore, the most important thing is to establish communication with someone (the boat, a search place, someone on shore). Putting one's face in the water does not help this at all. And it is not necessary. We all have some means of backup buoyancy (exposure protection if not a backup BCD), so we can get out face clear of the water, and we want our face clear of the water for safety reasons.

(I am not in the slightest but convinced that I would ever tell divers to ditch their gear and swim, but, like you, I can see me doing it as well if I was solo, stuck outside the cut. That's why I make the distinction between accomplished free divers carrying snorkels (where snorkels are a legitimate tool), and regular divers who are not in the ocean for a living (where they are a hazard, and must be stopped.)

Here's the deal: we are told by tradition that snorkels are safety equipment, so we think that baring evidence to the contrary, going along with that makes sense. But the fact is that there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, and we are just ignoring it. If we just starting the idea that a snorkel is a tool for a different job, and not a required part of an OW divers kit, then it would be hard to rationalize putting it on most divers.

Last edited:
The only one who's ignoring things is you. Others here seem to be expressing a rather balanced POV. The world of diving is larger than your own personal experience and that is why one cannot make blanket statements based upon it. People have tried to express that but you just keep reverting to your small focus and extrapolating from it.

It's just a tool. A tool that can be used if one wishes. A tool that allows some other option to sticking your reg in your mouth or swimming backwards. A tool, if used before scuba teaches some basic water skills and affords a sense of familiarity.

A knife is also a tool and can be useful or dangerous depending on its application. Just because they are banned in Cozumel doesn't mean they don't belong in diving, though an instructor who spends all their time there might argue so. "there's nothing to cut anyways, they are harmful to the flora and fauna, new divers don't know how to use them correctly, the only reason we carry them is tradition etc...".

I bought a very nice Atomic snorkel some years back, I have used it a couple of times when snorkeling off a boat during SI. I have not had one on my mask for many years. I can see the point of one for a long surface swim especially if the water's clear and there's something to look at along the way out/back but like another poster said I too prefer to swim on my back.

This is continuing to make the assumption that snorkels are 'safety equipment', even when presented with reasons to think otherwise.

You haven't presented much of a case to be honest. You have however used verbosity as a means to try.

Am I picturing the dive correctly? I am assuming I am.

I am picturing it as the fringing reef with cuts where an outgoing tide, and the return water from the waves, creates, at times, the conditions you mentioned earlier where turning the head sideways can pull the mask off or at least away from the face, and having a snorkel makes that more likely.

Currents in the Maldives can indeed wobble masks but those currents are fortunately not found on our house reef but rather in the channels. Snorkels on the mask in those conditions are not advisable.

I think you are picturing conditions for my shore dive far worse than they are. The house reef in front of me:
House Reef Map.jpg

Fair enough, then, to also say that the only reason to use the snorkel on those shore dives (rather than a reg) is (only) to save air. My argument there is that the amount of air you are saving is so minimal as to be unimportant, since the return has to be planned with the assumption that you might have to come back on scuba. And given the fact that on the return, a snorkel makes mask leakage a real problem at a time when the divers have both hands are busy makes me take the snorkels off of divers before that dive to prevent problems.The places I have dove like that, both hand are often busy with the rope placed to get divers back, or some bottom feature to make return even possible.

Assuming we are doing the same type of dive, you choose saving a small amount of air, and I choose mask security.

I think this is what a lot of people including me have been trying to say, and not just in this thread. You speak from a position of perceived understanding where in reality you do not and cannot know what conditions other people are diving in- thus people (including me) are taking you to task on it. When I said that surface swimming with a snorkel saves tank air- I wasn't talking a few bar. There are a few things to spot on the sandy bottom as well... octopus, stingrays, eaglerays, mantis shrimp, snake eels, nudis for example I have seen on snorkel- I wouldn't while swimming on my back.

You have advocated swimming backwards and yet state that snorkeling causes people to choke because they can't see the waves. ???

Mask security is a non-issue for diving in the vast majority of everyday dives. For those dives in currents strong enough to wobble the mask, people (including me) have said repeatedly that wearing the snorkel on the mask would not be appropriate... but this doesn't mean that snorkels are dangerous. There are other places to put snorkels which are out of the way- I prefer running it down the back of the tank.

The people who have problems are the ones who try and use their snorkels....
So choosing potential choking, or additional mask problems, in order to 'save air' on only some dives is, to me, obtuse.

The snorkel is not the problem. As has been said repeatedly: the snorkel is a tool. Powertools are dangerous in the wrong hands. The snorkel is an amzingly simple device and if it was as life-threatening as you are trying your hardest to make it sound, there would be a separate forum just for snorkel deaths.

This is why I am not sure what justification one can make to say that snorkels make things safer. If someone says people don't have problems caused by snorkels, that is ignoring the fact that snorkels do in fact cause problems underwater for your divers. (You mentioned this earlier, about the current making mask problems more likely for diver wearing snorkels.)

As I also said repeatedly in this and previous posts, when conditions are likely to be extreme enough to wobble masks, snorkels shouldn't be worn on the mask IMHO.

Your observations sound like they come from observing a handful of fairly inept people in water. To say so is blunt and it may make people reading this dislike my position but I believe people should be able to negotiate breathing from a snorkel without drowning at the surface.
I know, I know- raising the bar pretty high but I'm from NZ where men are men, and sheep are worried. :baaa:

---------- Post added ----------
DOUBLE POST

Last edited:
you. your you your you

At some point it will stop being personal, and then it will be an exchange of ideas.

If snorkels were just something that people could choose to use it would be fine.

They are not, they are enforced in training, where people get vastly mistaken ideas about their use, and can get themselves in to real trouble because they are using a snorkel. This trouble is completely averted by using a regulator. So why enforce snorkel use during training?

---------- Post Merged at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:35 PM ----------

You haven't presented much of a case to be honest. You have however used verbosity as a means to try.

And you double posted to point that out?:)

---------- Post Merged at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:35 PM ----------

The snorkel is an amzingly simple device and if it was as life-threatening as you are trying your hardest to make it sound, there would be a separate forum just for snorkel deaths.

No instructor or captain I know has died on scuba. Several have died snorkeling free-diving. Anecdotal as hell, but way more people get in trouble off scuba than on, everywhere I have been. Which says something about diving training and something about snorkeling free diving training.

Trusting what gets posted at SB to cover what happens in the world is not really useful. Look at statistics for diving deaths versus snorkeling deaths at any tourist spot. Diving deaths make headlines, snorkeling deaths are just to be expected. Because the ocean is not safe.

beano, You keep making a lot of noise but you have yet to answer the question I asked twice, it is a simple "yes or no" question. Are you a PADI instructor?

So you and other PADI instructors require OW students to buy an item that you don't just consider to be useless you think it is dangerous. What is the thinking there? "Say anything in order to get them to buy everything and only after the check clears tell them that some of these things are dangerous." A bad lawyer might be able to make a case that this is fraud. A good lawyer might make a case that you are deliberately endangering people's lives just so you can sell them a $20 snorkel.

Even a bad lawyer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom