• I plan to try it one day

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Never, I’m too frightened

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Never, it’s not safe

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted "shallow waters near shore" and "short dives". I've done several pool dives solo and would have no problem doing "local" dives solo if they were more convenient for me to do. I haven't had any training but I do have redundant gas and other safety considerations in place.

I am skipping the poll. It is too restrictive as some have said. I'll just say I am a Solo advocate.

-Solo diving can be dangerous, especially for the macho, ego driven, inexperienced in general, inexperienced for a given dive.
-Buddy diving can be dangerous, especially with a macho, ego driven, inexperienced in general, or inexperience for a given dive, buddy.
-Diving can be dangerous solo or not.
-Diving is a relatively safe sport.
-Stupid hurts
-Driving to work is really dangerous.
-Riding a street motorcycle is something I gave up, but i still solo dive off my boat 40+ miles offshore.
-I heard skydiving may be dangerous too.
-I also hunt deer in icy weather from a climbing stand solo, I do wear a safety harness though, no pony tank.
-And so on and so forth...

Formal training is generally a good thing.

If you solo, up the conservatism, no pinnacle dives, or the like, no unfamiliar conditions.
With an unknown ( or flaky) buddy, up the conservatism, no pinnacle dives, or the like, no unfamiliar conditions.

I appreciate the folks who have accepted my Solo card and trusted me on charters to go about my business. I return the favor by being responsible.

I'm human, someday I may make a serious mistake with or without a buddy. It is a choice I have made and I respect and accept the risks.

Edit:
I am not anti-buddy. I have some great buddies and have enjoyed some great group dives and will continue to.
But, in the same breath I really enjoy some alone time too.

Last edited:
I love solo diving. It's incredibly relaxing especially at night. Nobody or nothing else to worry about.

When im fun diving (ie i have my camera) im solo diving. Even if someone tries to give me a buddy i wont be paying attention to them so im solo (and so are they).

It's nice having no distractions and being able to go wherever you want for as long as you want without wondering if someone else is happy with the plan.

I solo dive when I dive locally in familiar waters. I am 45 and have over 200 dives logged.
I feel it is a personnel decision ,I have talked to my family and we all no the risks. I do recommend
anyone doing solo should take the course though.

Considering doing a solo night dive with my macro lens tonight actually.. Its a bit of a boring lake, but there should be some macro possibilities...

I dive solo when no-one else is available to dive with me but not just anywhere, anytime - I pick the places and times. Now that the wife's got her cert solo diving is becoming more rare.

i am on about dive 35 and all my dives have been in the keys in the atlantic , from mexico south to Beguia in the Carrabean and although all were buddy dives most seemed to be solo dives. So yes , i think i solo dive.:D
I have found that most people on vacation that dive don't take buddy diving very seriously if ista buddied up.
Yes i solo dive but without the redundant gear.:wink:

This is the Basic Forum and yes I do Solo dive.
I find it very relaxing and I am not antisocial not in the least but I do enjoy the total commitment of solo.
I really find the extreme focus, dive planning, and awareness to be very intensely pleasurable.
I dive often with buddies of all levels and love them all but love solo just as much.

Hope that no one misunderstands my post but it takes time to feel comfortable and training experience to dive solo in the Tech environment and this is the Basic Forum so I am assuming OW and no deco.
I have done solo in both realms and enjoy it.

CamG

Dove solo many years in order to hunt fish. It was a big enough challenge not scaring the fish when I'm using scuba. Having two scuba fisherman hunting side by side ran the risk of being shot by your dive partner and again two divers on scuba scared the fish.
Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom