• I plan to try it one day

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Never, I’m too frightened

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Never, it’s not safe

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a super sharp J-cutter and a super sharp knife with a line cutter - both of which I've tested against heavy braid (which I use when I'm fishing) and both of which I can use much more easily than sheers. Notice I said I. You find sheers easier, fine. Just don't tell me they are the only option, nor the best option for everybody. They are not.
Alright then. . .both shears & knife are good to have.

DA Aquamaster
February 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM

EMT shears work great on large diameter monofilament, spider wire and even steel leaders that can all be difficult to cut with a knife. You can cut a penny in half with good EMT shears. [Easy one handed operation to snip cut with shears versus a careful two hand technique (one hand to work the knife, the other to tension the line around the knife's cutting edge) to apply the necessary force in order to saw through line with a knife's serrated edge or line cutter notch.]

A knife, ideally one with both a straight and a serrated edge, works very well on larger diameter rope that may exceed the bite of a pair of EMT shears, and a knife can often get into places that are awkward for a pair of shears. So both have their place.

It's a good idea to keep each of them in a location that can be reached with either hand.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/323415-knife-scissors.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/153295-knife-line-cutter-shears.html

I solo'd in April in LBTS, Fla.on the experimental solar reef build south of Anglin's pier and LOVED it! You simply must know, as "Dirty Harry" said to Lt. Briggs," A wise man(or woman) knows his(her) limitations"

Solo all the time. 325' on ccr off the remote cliffs of South Point on the Big Island last week. Scootered around a reef im sure human eyes have never seen and cruised with 2 big makos. Amazing dive. I say to each their own. There are much more dangerous things one can do. I dive 4 days a week. If I waited for a buddy to get a ccr, trimix training, and schedule time off I would be one crusty diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom