Do You Consider Solo Diving to be Recreational or Technical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider my solo diving to be recreational diving as I dive much more conservatively than when I am with a buddy. I usually carry a pony. stay above 60 feet and surface with 750 psi. I like how TMHeimer described it as "glorified snorkeling". I would add that it's a lot easier than snorkeling!

I do 'technical' and 'recreational' solo dives. The difference, to me, is dictated by the existence, or absence ,of a physical or virtual overhead (decompression or wreck penetration).

Having said that, my approach to 'recreational' solo dives does borrow heavily from the training, procedures and mind-set utilised in my technical dives. They are more akin to 'technical' dives, than 'recreational' dives. In particular, the need for self-reliance and self-rescue brings about certain demands for equipment redundancy and dive management that exceeds the training provided by mainstream recreational training courses. However, those skills, procedures..and the mindset.. are developed in technical diving courses.

A 'recreational' solo dive is one that is planned for an open-water, non-ceiling environment, where direct access to the surface is always available. However, one of the primary contingencies that must be addressed by solo divers is the risk that they could be trapped or incapacitated in a way that prevents them reaching the surface immediately. Without assistance from a buddy, they must have the capacity to deal with that situation.

In short:

Technical Solo Dive: Deliberate planning for operation in an over-head (virtual/physical) environment.

Recreational Solo Dive: Contingency preparation for being denied immediate access to the surface.

The same diver capability and equipment redundancy needs to exist, whether obstruction from the surface is a planned objective or a contingency preparation.

Historically, formal training to provide that capability has derived from technical diving programs.

In practical terms, that training (regardless of where it is 'book-shelved') is at a 'technical' level, in respect of skill-set, capability and mind-set.

I guess different people's perception of that will be determined by how seriously they take their contingency planning, and what measures they bother to prepare for when considering restriction from the surface.

I read what Pete said, and I am in complete compliance with the spirit, if not the fact. I only responded because the subtext of the question strikes at the definition of technical vs. recreational diving. If you have a problem with that, hit the button, but keep in mind that I expressed no opinion as to whether to do a solo dive or not to do a solo dive, I simply observed that for me the question is moot.

A 'recreational' solo dive is one that is planned for an open-water, non-ceiling environment, where direct access to the surface is always available. However, one of the primary contingencies that must be addressed by solo divers is the risk that they could be trapped or incapacitated in a way that prevents them reaching the surface immediately. Without assistance from a buddy, they must have the capacity to deal with that situation.

In short:

Technical Solo Dive: Deliberate planning for operation in an over-head (virtual/physical) environment.

Recreational Solo Dive: Contingency preparation for being denied immediate access to the surface.

The same diver capability and equipment redundancy needs to exist, whether obstruction from the surface is a planned objective or a contingency preparation.

Historically, formal training to provide that capability has derived from technical diving programs.

In practical terms, that training (regardless of where it is 'book-shelved') is at a 'technical' level, in respect of skill-set, capability and mind-set.

So, considering that once certified to SDI's Solo Diver rating, diving past these following limits would be diving in violation of the only "solo diver" training that exists ...

Wikipedia Solo Diving:
As part of mitigating risks in solo diving the following specific practises have been adopted by SDI for solo diving or are key recommendations by Von Maier—"the father of solo diving":
  • All solo diving is to be done within recreational dive limits (no deep, decompression, penetration, or rebreather dives while solo).
  • No dives which push one’s personal experience limits are ever to be undertaken while solo
  • No solo dives are to be undertaken in areas where there are known sources of entanglement/entrapment[4]
  • Solo dives will only be undertaken to depths at which safe bailout is certain, and where such bailout procedures have been practised successfully.
  • The solo diver's maximum distance to point of exit (shore, boat) will never exceed a distance that can be easily and comfortably swum at the surface in full scuba gear – and the diver will maintain and exercise his/her navigational practices in solo dives to insure that this is the case.
Yet by having the Solo Diving sub-forum in the Technical Diving Specialties forum, we practically ensure; deeper than 130', deco, wreck, cave, rebreather, kelp & spear fishing solo dive discussion. And those discussions do exist in the Solo Diver sub-forum.

This being the Wikipedia version, I am not contending 100% accuracy, but the above quoted does not seem to rule out single tank solo.

:idk:

In particular, the need for self-reliance and self-rescue brings about certain demands for equipment redundancy and dive management that exceeds the training provided by mainstream recreational training courses. However, those skills, procedures..and the mindset.. are developed in technical diving courses.

I'm not arguing with your opinion, which I think is completely valid but I have to note that I address those issues and have never taken a technical dive course. IMO they should, and very easily could, be part of any recreational curriculum. they are certainly within the reach of any self study a recreational diver may want to pursue.

I read what Pete said, and I am in complete compliance with the spirit, if not the fact. I only responded because the subtext of the question strikes at the definition of technical vs. recreational diving. If you have a problem with that, hit the button, but keep in mind that I expressed no opinion as to whether to do a solo dive or not to do a solo dive, I simply observed that for me the question is moot.

I have not been close to reporting you in years. I am unsure if you saw that I was typing about "old" conversations actually in the Solo Diver forum; not here in this Advanced Diving forum thread for sure.

:idk:

I'm not arguing with your opinion, which I think is completely valid but I have to note that I address those issues and have never taken a technical dive course. IMO they should, and very easily could, be part of any recreational curriculum. they are certainly within the reach of any self study a recreational diver may want to pursue.

Of course.

I'm not suggesting that technical diving courses are the only way to develop those capabilities...

... just that recreational diving courses don't (except a few very specific solo courses).

Skills, knowledge and mind-set can be developed individually, or by mentor-ship. Formal training courses just wrap things up into a convenient, quick package with slightly more guarantee that you've not missed anything important and you've had a decent assessment/check of your capabilities for the dive in question.

In terms of 'pigeon holing' solo diving into an appropriate skill-set/mind-set/equipment category , it's more equated to tech diving, than rec diving.

However, I do absolutely agree that it isn't technical diving (unless a technical dive is done solo, which is different).

Of course.

I'm not suggesting that technical diving courses are the only way to develop those capabilities...

... just that recreational diving courses don't (except a few very specific solo courses).

Skills, knowledge and mind-set can be developed individually, or by mentor-ship. Formal training courses just wrap things up into a convenient, quick package with slightly more guarantee that you've not missed anything important and you've had a decent assessment/check of your capabilities for the dive in question.

In terms of 'pigeon holing' solo diving into an appropriate skill-set/mind-set/equipment category , it's more equated to tech diving, than rec diving.

However, I do absolutely agree that it isn't technical diving (unless a technical dive is done solo, which is different).

Could someone list the "few" agencies that certify solo divers?

Could someone list any "tech" agency that certifies solo tech divers?

There aren't many limits on what you can discuss here on Scubaboard - but 'advocating unsafe diving practices' is one of them. This thread clearly illustrates how the issue of 'unsafe diving practices' can be a very grey area - and context is critically important in determining which side of the line such a debate falls onto. That said, the line does have to be drawn somewhere. It seems abundantly logical to draw those lines at the limits supported by the agencies that train and certify divers. Those agencies have to account for themselves, and their training, legally. Private individuals, posting anonymously on the internet, do not. Having to account for yourself personally, legally and/or professionally does an awful lot to temper a viewpoint. It encourages prudence and a responsible attitude.

Halemano.. I don't see the point you are trying to convey by using those quotes?

Agencies (that I know of): TDI and PADI (call it 'self-sufficient diver'). Sure there are more, others can add to that list.

At tech level - no such course exists. Some agencies prohibit/discourage it...especially where they have a strongly identified 'team-diving' focus (i.e. GUE/UTD). In other agencies, it's not specifically mentioned either way: although the training is focused on creating a 'self-sufficient' diver.

The recreational solo course curriculum are basically just stuff skimmed from tech courses... redundancy, procedures, drills, mind-set and problem-solving.

Agencies (that I know of): TDI and PADI (call it 'self-sufficient diver'). Sure there are more, others can add to that list.

At tech level - no such course exists. Some agencies prohibit/discourage it...especially where they have a strongly identified 'team-diving' focus (i.e. GUE/UTD). In other agencies, it's not specifically mentioned either way: although the training is focused on creating a 'self-sufficient' diver.

The recreational solo course curriculum are basically just stuff skimmed from tech courses... redundancy, procedures, drills, mind-set and problem-solving.

Actually, it is SDI and PADI. The training manager for TDI (Steve Moore) and I have repeatedly had this conversation because we disagree with some enthusiasm. According to TDI, solo diving is not meant for any dives involving real or virtual overhead environments (technical dives), nor any dive on a rebreather, regardless of depth or decompression status.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom