Do you carry a tourniquet when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading about the young boy that was bitten by a shark while snorkeling at Looe Key, I am thankful that a tourniquet and a person that knew how to apply it were close by. They may have saved the boy's life. It would be interesting to know how many of you carry a tourniquet while diving, what brand, and where you stow it? Having one immediately available seems like a good idea to me, could certainly afford one, but am a bit unsure where I would put it on my bp/w along with all of the other emergency equipment I carry on dives. Of course, I realize getting bit by a shark, struck by a prop, or other major bleeding events are not likely, and could be fatal with or without a tourniquet. However, considering all the other safety gear I carry, this might be a game changer in an emergency.

I carry thick zipties in my dry bag and have used them. They absolutely stop the blood flow, but the EMT's were really pissed when they saw them. They do work perfectly for our close to land diving area.

And this is where the Rescue Diver Certs kicks in. I always carry a small first aide kit on me when diving which includes tourniquet.

I'm a believer that the RD certs should be mandatory....and it was the most fun class I have taken to date.

On the boat, yes. But only recently. The story about the girl in north Florida prompted me to order one. Was pretty cheap. Came with a tourniquet, emergency (Israeli) bandage, EMT shears, and a penlight for checking pupil response.

For as cheap as it is ~$20, no reason not to carry one.

Is that because use of a tourniquet substantially increases the likelihood of needing to amputate?
They were pissed because they had to cut the skin to cut the ziptie. Bleeding out or leading to cardiac was going to be alot worse and we were 15 mins from the dock. I agree they are not the best, but they sure are fast at stopping blood flow.

They were pissed because they had to cut the skin to cut the ziptie. Bleeding out or leading to cardiac was going to be alot worse and we were 15 mins from the dock. I agree they are not the best, but they sure are fast at stopping blood flow.
If there’s other options available, ie pressure and elevation… actually you shouldn’t use a zip tie as a tourniquet at all, it’s too thin, it’s a issue to get off, limb ischemia/ compartment syndrome
Is a real thing and there’s actual tourniquets out there.
You should also mark the time you applied the TQ by writing it on the PTs forehead and never apply over a joint.
Someone who’s had a traumatic injury w/ blood loss, needs to be have the bleeding stopped, kept warm and fluid replacement immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom