Do you carry a tourniquet when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex- Paramedic- Any kind of a pressure bandage, like the Israeli combat bandage is a great idea because it can greatly reduce or eliminate the need for the tourniquet. Stopping the bleeding is critical but doing less damage is an excellent secondary goal. A wire tie, piece of string etc can ruin any chance of reimplantation (if there was one) and make stump management or wound repair much more difficult. Webbing would be better. A blood pressure cuff works very well however I would wrap tape around it so the velcro doesn't let go.
Tourniquet philosophy has changed in EMS. 20 years ago it was considered a completely last resort. Now it's accepted that the bleeding must be stopped.

Not to put a dampener on this, but if you're asking this kind of question I'd recommend saving your money on whatever medical stuff you think you should bring and spend it on quality training in how to actually use it first. You can certainly be the next person with the great idea to drop cash on new hemostatic gauze and tournis and whatever, but you need to be actually prepared and knowledgeable before you go trying to apply any of it.
Don't be 'that guy' dreaming of a chance to use their quickclot on someone that's had a fishin spear go through their buddy's torso, or a tourniquet on someone that dropped a BFK on their foot because "aww man but that looks like a lot of blood, ya know?" Or to actually see a near complete avulsion of a limb and immediately realize this kinda of s*** ain't the same as a pic on the internet.

That said, I do have one in my dive bag. Only because I had like 3 spare CATs from CLS a few years ago and just threw one in there. Yes, I do know how to use it. No, I'd never have one on a dive and I think that's ridiculous - but I guess I'm a bit jaded on the issue. I think I said it in a post a few years ago here: you might as well just find a PJ/CG rescue diver and make them your dive buddy.

Ex- Paramedic- Any kind of a pressure bandage, like the Israeli combat bandage is a great idea because it can greatly reduce or eliminate the need for the tourniquet. Stopping the bleeding is critical but doing less damage is an excellent secondary goal. A wire tie, piece of string etc can ruin any chance of reimplantation (if there was one) and make stump management or wound repair much more difficult. Webbing would be better. A blood pressure cuff works very well however I would wrap tape around it so the velcro doesn't let go.
Tourniquet philosophy has changed in EMS. 20 years ago it was considered a completely last resort. Now it's accepted that the bleeding must be stopped.

This - tourniquet usage is now greatly encouraged for any bleed that is large enough to potentially result in hemorrhagic shock. So much so that if you look at a wound and think you might need a tourniquet, it’s appropriate to use a tourniquet.

It is difficult to fashion a tourniquet out of something not intended to be a tourniquet; it can be done, but it’s hard. Zip ties would be a very last choice as they are too narrow and cause local tissue damage.

I have never tried to put a tourniquet on someone while underwater. Im guessing it would be tough to do so. The compressibility of a wetsuit would also be a problem - I would cut it out of the way. My point to all of this is I would think that a tourniquet is something kept on a boat/shore bag, but not likely useful when submerged. I’d be open to being shown otherwise.

As far as Benadryl vs Epi 1:1000 - the question is what are you treating. For a simple allergic reaction Benadryl is the treatment. For anaphylaxis your treatment is epi. Benadryl is a far second. Sure both are nice to have, but Benadryl can wait for the shore, on a boat Epi could be lifesaving.

The above is from my two decade experience as a lifeguard, paramedic, RN, and now emergency nurse practitioner. I am not a rescue diver.

I have never tried to put a tourniquet on someone while underwater. Im guessing it would be tough to do so. The compressibility of a wetsuit would also be a problem - I would cut it out of the way. My point to all of this is I would think that a tourniquet is something kept on a boat/shore bag, but not likely useful when submerged. I’d be open to being shown otherwise.
Getting the victim safely to the surface should be the first priority.

At least on a boat or on dry land there are more options available to deal with a "bleeding" situation.

My camera try is tied onto a sports shoe lace which can be used as a tourniquet.

I carry one with me in an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) when out and about just about anywhere, including in my drybag when diving. I keep a large trauma kit in the Jeep that has just about everything anyone would need.

I have the trauma kit for some higher risk sports like motorcycle track days, off road motorcycling/UTVing and shooting sports. I remember when I replaced the replacement Bolin Chest Seals showed up in the mail and my wife was totally confused.

Like car, life, medical, and dive insurance, safety equipment s never needed or necessary until it is. Hopefully every piece of safety equipment I have and carry will never be used. But if I go missing in the ocean or on land, I am going to be damn happy I have my PLB, flashlight, etc.,
And if I ever have to deal with a major bleeding event, I sure hope I have a tourniquet with me, and not have to rely on other people who aim for sleekness and simplicity.
Perhaps it's Allah's will that we not survive a major bleeding event. As has been pointed out, we always have something that will work as a tourniquet with us. In a half century of diving I've never seen a major bleeding event. I've been around two fatalities and a few near misses, but in every case it was someone's stupidity. Sport diving is an adventure. There is nothing wrong with some danger. I used to sky dive, and never once did I see a medical emergency or need a tourniquet.

Back
Top Bottom