Do you carry a tourniquet when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk about the kitchen sink! Prepper mentality gone mad. I try to carry as little as possible attached to me when diving, aiming for sleekness and simplicity. I've seen divers so loaded down with junk I've had to laugh out loud.

Husband and I don't carry it on our person, but there's one in the boat, one in the car and one in the medicine cabinet at home.

We live in SE Florida, there's no telling whose around you on a given time.
They are not very expensive and we got the training through work.

My boat first aid kit includes the usual stuff, bandaids, gauze, tape, scissors, aspirin, pain killers, foil blanket, disinfectant, plus I added quickclot, tourniquets and Israeli bandages. Cheap insurance for the alternative of bleeding out dead.

Whether we're 20 or 120 miles offshore, it's a long wait for medical services.

My boat first aid kit includes the usual stuff, bandaids, gauze, tape, scissors, aspirin, pain killers, foil blanket, disinfectant, plus I added quickclot, tourniquets and Israeli bandaged. Cheap insurance for the alternative of bleeding out dead.

Whether we're 20 or 120 miles offshore, it's a long wait for medical services.

What about Iraqi bandages? Afghani? Bethlehemey….

You should put Benadryl in there, that’s the goto OTC drug for allergic reactions, and it won’t increase HR like epi 1:1000, and it’s cheap.

Talk about the kitchen sink! Prepper mentality gone mad. I try to carry as little as possible attached to me when diving, aiming for sleekness and simplicity. I've seen divers so loaded down with junk I've had to laugh out loud.
Like car, life, medical, and dive insurance, safety equipment s never needed or necessary until it is. Hopefully every piece of safety equipment I have and carry will never be used. But if I go missing in the ocean or on land, I am going to be damn happy I have my PLB, flashlight, etc.,
And if I ever have to deal with a major bleeding event, I sure hope I have a tourniquet with me, and not have to rely on other people who aim for sleekness and simplicity.

A tourniquet is almost always available. It can be as a simple device as a t-shirt, a shoelace, a doo rag, a bra, a jockstrap........whatever! The important thing is to know exactly how and when to use it.

...and fluid replacement immediately.

I hope by this you mean intravenously...because if one is applying a tourniquet to someone (including oneself), then one should be treating for shock (hypovolemic/hemorrhagic shock to be specific), and giving anything by mouth is contraindicated when treating for shock, especially in the field.

-Z

I hope by this you mean intravenously...because if one is applying a tourniquet to someone (including oneself), then one should be treating for shock (hypovolemic/hemorrhagic shock to be specific), and giving anything by mouth is contraindicated when treating for shock, especially in the field.

-Z
You’re getting an IO to the sternum… :cheer:
And if we need to cric, I’m using my rusty dive knife and a pen…

What about Iraqi bandages? Afghani? Bethlehemey….

You should put Benadryl in there, that’s the goto OTC drug for allergic reactions, and it won’t increase HR like epi 1:1000, and it’s cheap.
No, just the Israeli Bandages. I would have figured a medic would know what they're called.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom