Do water get into your nose while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm taking a scuba diving class and had my 4th pool session last week. Every time when I was tilting my head upward to see what's above me, I've got water running into my nose. It's not a lot of water, but it's really annoying. I know that the mask fits my face well. I think I've got that water in my mask from either performing mask clearing or ear equalization (pinching the nose). Is this common?

My mask also gets foggy quickly. I usually have to clear it almost every 3 min. Is that too often? How often do you clear your mask? I wonder how effective is the anti-fog solution. I plan to try it next class.

Thanks for your advise,
Patrick

ppatrick:
Hello everyone,

I'm taking a scuba diving class and had my 4th pool session last week. Every time when I was tilting my head upward to see what's above me, I've got water running into my nose.

You aren't clearing your mask completely. The other point is you need to get very comfortable with no mask breathing, then a little water in the mask won't bother you.

ppatrick:
My mask also gets foggy quickly. I usually have to clear it almost every 3 min. Is that too often? How often do you clear your mask? I wonder how effective is the anti-fog solution. I plan to try it next class.

Clean your mask lenses with soft scrub, then put a small amount of straght baby shampoo (touch your finger to it, you'll have enough) in the mask and rub it over the inside of the lenses. Let the baby shampoo dry overnight in the mask. Rinse it out just before you get in the water.

gravity works underwater as well so while looking upward of course a tiny bit of water might crawl up your nose. It doesn't bother experienced divers. If it continues to bother you maybe you'll have to get a purge valve mask but I'd work on doing complete clears.

If it's foggy there are many reasons. Perhaps you didn't clean the silicon spray out of your mask well enough when you first bought it. Or you aren't defoggind it properly or you're putting it on your forehead or you're allowing so much water to enter the mask that you've washed the defog away.

Maybe this will help. You know how when you swim underwater, you control what goes into your nose by exhaling a tiny stream of bubbles out? Well, pretty soon, when you are diving and invert, look up, or flip over, you will automaticaly exhale minute amounts from your nose at the precise moment you anticipate water entering your nostrils. When air is leaving, water cannot enter. It will become automatic.

catherine, I don't know how to say this but, by looking at your new avatar, I'm guessing you've put on a few pounds and maybe, and I want to be gentle about this, getting a little lazer work on those facial hairs might be in order :wink:

ppatrick:
Hello everyone,

I'm taking a scuba diving class and had my 4th pool session last week. Every time when I was tilting my head upward to see what's above me, I've got water running into my nose.

Do you pick your nose? Sometimes people who pick their nose get little holes in them that allow water to trickle in...

[/QUOTE] My mask also gets foggy quickly. I usually have to clear it almost every 3 min. Is that too often? How often do you clear your mask? I wonder how effective is the anti-fog solution. I plan to try it next class.[/QUOTE]

Masks usually fog if you have funky breath coming through your nose. Try using some Listerine.

OK... so both of the above answers are completely ridiculous. Small amounts of water getting into the mask indicate either you do not have a good seal or the silicone has a small hole in it, usually along the edge where it connects to the mask. I have also seen some masks get leaks in the seals around the tempered glass. Most likely cause is a poorly fitted mask. You may have it too tight, too loose or you may have some hair, or eyebrows getting caught in the silicone skirt Have a professional check for all of these issues when you're in the water.

YES! Mask Defog works... but so does spit. The recommended Mask Defog is SeaVision. If you can't find any, let me know. I'll send you a bottle for FREE... if you pay the postage.

Happy Diving!

Thanks for your advise,
Patrick[/QUOTE]

I end up with water up my nose while diving. I actually didn't even realize it until afterwards.

I like to leave a small amount of water in my mask to keep the fog off the inside of the lense. As long as I don't end up with water in my eyese I'm happy. If too much gets in I'll clear it. (I have a mustache and water seaps in through the hairs. After clearing my mask I often let a little water back in, because it's too empty.

Anyway, after diving I was laying down on my bed. I rolled over onto my stomach and raised up. Water dripped out of my nose. This was like the next day after diving, so it must have been trapped in my sinus cavity.

Bill B.

As far as water in the nose.....happened to me for the first time yesterday. I just could not get it cleared either. Made me feel very congested and I think my sinuses were already stuffed up to begin with. Between that and the cold water I ended up calling the dive because it was just that uncomfortable. I guess these things happen....

I always have some water in my mask (when using standard mask) especially when looking for bugs in the rocks-pretty normal-ya get used to it. Purge valve does help

Al Mialkovsky:
catherine, I don't know how to say this but, by looking at your new avatar, I'm guessing you've put on a few pounds and maybe, and I want to be gentle about this, getting a little lazer work on those facial hairs might be in order :wink:

you know, I have gained a little, so it took me a few minutes. I was just starting to hate you and check for nose hairs, Al.

Back
Top Bottom