Do I need experience to wreck dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK this is how i see it , if you don't want to take the specialty course , then simply put it don't.
but bottom line there are stuff in these specialty course that are not covered any wear else in your training. do you need all the specialty course's probably not but one's for NC's wreck diving are as follows
Deep diver, wreck diver, nitrox , navigation. and limited or night dive , oh one I recommend is advance buoyancy control too,why because you can encounter all these problems off the coast of NC .
First this was asked in NC section about wreck diving , all most all the major wrecks and better known wrecks are little deeper than open water cert .
most in most given days will have currents , sometime variable visibility. bottom line the extra experience and diving experience you get from these class cannot hurt you just make you better diver.

You need to be aware of several things. Depth, air, obsticles, entanglement from fishing lines and from items in the wreck. If it isn't to deep for your limits you can dive on it. Check the wreck for fishing line that could entangle you even if you do not penetrate it. It is a good idea to have 2 knives on you incase this should happen. 1 one your leg and one on your BC inflator hose incase you cannot reach your leg. You much have a light to see and you must have good boyency control or else you will kick up silt and loose your way in a wreck and not have any idea which way is up down or out. The rule of 3rds will keep you alive, always exit a wreck when you have at least 1/3 of your air left. I would not penetrate a wreck as a new diver until you become accostomed to good boyency control. There are several things in some wrecks that can trap you in a wreck. I would were a weight belt not place weights in a BC as there may come a time when you might need to remove your tanks to get around something only an experienced wreck dive or cave dive may need to do in an emergency. Safety lines are a must for for deep penetration if you want to come out when entering a wreck that you cannot see your way around in before entering. Being a new diver I would tell you only enter if your keep in mind everything mentioned above and also NOT to enter if it is tight or you cannot see the exit near where you are entering. South Flordia has more wrecks then anyplace you could ever want to go if you want to try some places in the STATES. GOOD LUCK on your dive......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom