Do I need experience to wreck dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss:
I would go ahead and take a PADI wreck diving class. The NC wreck dives can be pretty deep, with a ripping current some days, and most guys I know dive nitrox there... I just had a class in which you had the opportunity to combine NC wreck diving, a wreck diving cert, a nitrox cert, and a Deep Diving Cert all in one "program". BEFORE I get flamed for mentioning this... the store I take my classes at went all the way to make sure that they exceeded the lowest training recommendations set by PADI.

The other advantage about taking a wreck diving class is that you will discuss various aspects of wreck diving which I did not even consider (both safety and historical). Besides - taking classes and being with other divers is FUN!

WOW, did they throw in a DiveMaster rating or Instructor rating while they were at it? Might as well....Another one buys in to the PADI money pit...hurry, someone throw a life vest...

KidK9:
WOW, did they throw in a DiveMaster rating or Instructor rating while they were at it? Might as well....Another one buys in to the PADI money pit...hurry, someone throw a life vest...
If taught properly those class would prepare someone well for that type of diving. But don't let common sense stop the PADI bashing...

Get yourself some TripTone for the boat rides, and contact the captain you plan on making your dives with for certification restrictions...if any.

Otherwise, do the dive!

NC has some of the best diving around, as long as you don't get blown out.

Yes most of them do charge extra take for example SSI first you do your advance in steps, such as special class, i.e. night, low visibility, navigation, buoyancy control
deep , wreck , nitrox they all get you one way or another remind you that each one gives a little bit more info and training on each subject, and most of all with SSI you have to do more dives, which to me is big part of your training if done right , this isn't a bashing most agencies train and do a fairly good job of it , what makes your training and class is the instructor who will give you the most for your money .
With that said I do recommend doing a wreck class and even a deep class for NC wrecks you say why,
First there are so many variables out there that you need to be aware of and need to now how to react to.
Hum just swimming around a wreck, well lets see first of currents, lines, objects not to mention other divers, boats and more things than I can list.
Since I am not very good a spelling and grammar I will stop before some bash's me.
Remember nothing can take place of experience and training including continue training!!!

exactly my point Medic,

all the agencies have certs and specialties beyond AOW, and they all charge for them.
no matter what the agency, if an instructor is crap, guess what, the instruction will be crap as well. if the instructor is a great instructor, wow, that class will be awesome, PADI, NAUI, SSI, or gardenhose society.

self:
Captain Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. The scubaBoard has been very helpful in guiding me on my next step.Even though I am comfortable on a boat I will start with the Liberty ship and then try the Hyde later on in the week. I am doing the U-352 dive at the end of July with my dive instructor who has done this dive numerous times. Your information on the death at the U-352 was very sobering. As much as I think I am going to enjoy this actvity, it still can be very dangerous if you are in a situation beyond your training. Hopefully I will always know what that is for me.

Thanks for takng the time to respond,
Self

I totally agree with your approach. Some people go to the offshore wrecks in NC and have a hard time with current, sharks (psychological), rough seas, etc. Some people it's no problem, other's have a problem. At the depths of the offshore wrecks, you're going to get 15-20 minutes BT per dive on air anyway, after a 2-3 hour boat ride. Doing the inshore wrecks is the better first step. Go ahead and get Nitrox before doing the offshore stuff in my opinion. In NC there are some decent shallower wrecks along the Frying Pan shoals (Raritan good example). You get the benefit of clearer Gulf Stream water and still shallow depth.

One other suggestion I'd have for down the road is to do cavern/cave training if you plan to penetrate wrecks. I haven't done a wreck class, but from what I've heard it's not nearly as intensive as cave training. Of course I'm sure I'm biased :wink:

BradfordNC:
exactly my point Medic,

all the agencies have certs and specialties beyond AOW, and they all charge for them.
no matter what the agency, if an instructor is crap, guess what, the instruction will be crap as well. if the instructor is a great instructor, wow, that class will be awesome, PADI, NAUI, SSI, or gardenhose society.

I know the ol' it's the instructor not the agency stuff, but honestly (in my experience), the really good instructors out there aren't teaching PADI Wreck specialty. I did a lot of interviewing and talking to experienced divers while deciding my course of training, and none of the serious wreck divers recommend a wreck specialty. Maybe I'm lucky in that I got a cave instructor who is also a serious wreck diver, but honestly most would consider it a waste of money. Take cavern, take cave, take Nitrox, Adv. Nitrox, etc. Gradually build up experience by wreck diving....

Or you can dive deep air and do progressive penetration, or DIR, or .........

Just one man's opinion.

Talk about a money pit...
As for a wreck specialty course you say
the really good instructors out there aren't teaching PADI Wreck specialty...honestly most would consider it a waste of money
Instead you suggest...
Take cavern, take cave, take Nitrox, Adv. Nitrox, etc.
Sounds like someone's lining their pockets with this concept.
I say take wreck diver and then...
Gradually build up experience by wreck diving....

KidK9:

PLEASE! KidK9!

Here is a shop trying to help people dive the NC Wrecks safely, by giving them the training necessary to do it, and you down them?

Not the kind of conduct I would expect from a diving professional.

ALL agencies offer specialty training at an additional cost.
And isn't scuba diving, by it's very nature, a specialty? You have to pursue special training in order to do it. Not everyone has the training necessary to scuba dive.

So please, let's try to get off the bashing stand and try to help this person learn to dive the NC wrecks safely and improve his diving skills.

Randy Cain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom