Do I need experience to wreck dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

self

Registered
Reaction score
I have just been certified and can not wait to get started. I am doing 9 dives in Aruba next week and then taking a family vacation in Willmigton, NC at the end of June. I would love to do a wreck dive while I am there. Am I biting off more than I can chew since I am a beginner? If so how can I get experience if I don't jump in? Alot of you are experts out there and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks for your help,
Self

If the wreck is within your depth limits, and you don't penetrate the wreck, then it should be no different than a reef dive. Just be careful of the various things that you find around a wreck- fishing line, cable, protrusions, etc that can catch on your equipment. Currents can be a little tricky around wrecks also.

self:
I have just been certified and can not wait to get started. I am doing 9 dives in Aruba next week and then taking a family vacation in Willmigton, NC at the end of June. I would love to do a wreck dive while I am there. Am I biting off more than I can chew since I am a beginner? If so how can I get experience if I don't jump in? Alot of you are experts out there and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks for your help,
Self

I would go ahead and take a PADI wreck diving class. The NC wreck dives can be pretty deep, with a ripping current some days, and most guys I know dive nitrox there... I just had a class in which you had the opportunity to combine NC wreck diving, a wreck diving cert, a nitrox cert, and a Deep Diving Cert all in one "program". BEFORE I get flamed for mentioning this... the store I take my classes at went all the way to make sure that they exceeded the lowest training recommendations set by PADI.

The other advantage about taking a wreck diving class is that you will discuss various aspects of wreck diving which I did not even consider (both safety and historical). Besides - taking classes and being with other divers is FUN!

detroit diver:
If the wreck is within your depth limits, and you don't penetrate the wreck, then it should be no different than a reef dive. Just be careful of the various things that you find around a wreck- fishing line, cable, protrusions, etc that can catch on your equipment. Currents can be a little tricky around wrecks also.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Self

Do I need experience to wreck dive?

The short answer is "Definitely YES" if you intend to penetrate.
Do not penetrate wrecks (and caves) without adequate training!

Just to give one example of many problems.
Paint on wrecks breaks down over the years into an extremely fine silt. The slightest disturbance can turn what looks like an open clear corridor into a ZERO viz labyrinth and without adequate training in the use of lines you may well run out of air before you find your way out.

zboss:
I would go ahead and take a PADI wreck diving class. The NC wreck dives can be pretty deep, with a ripping current some days, and most guys I know dive nitrox there... I just had a class in which you had the opportunity to combine NC wreck diving, a wreck diving cert, a nitrox cert, and a Deep Diving Cert all in one "program". BEFORE I get flamed for mentioning this... the store I take my classes at went all the way to make sure that they exceeded the lowest training recommendations set by PADI.

The other advantage about taking a wreck diving class is that you will discuss various aspects of wreck diving which I did not even consider (both safety and historical). Besides - taking classes and being with other divers is FUN!

I read you post and it was very detailed. I think what you did is a good way to go. Even though I am excited to do this, I am all about safety.

Thanks,
Self

since you'll be in Wilmington, i suggest goin out with Aquatic Safaris. they go out to some wrecks (artificial reefs) that would be within your skill level. the Liberty Ship is only 3 miles from the marina and sits in 50 feet of water. there are some other tugs within a half day trip as well. even the Hyde and Markham are half day trips and they sit in 80 feet of water. just don't do any penetration and you'll be fine.

zboss:
I just had a class in which you had the opportunity to combine NC wreck diving, a wreck diving cert, a nitrox cert, and a Deep Diving Cert all in one "program". BEFORE I get flamed for mentioning this... the store I take my classes at went all the way to make sure that they exceeded the lowest training recommendations set by PADI.

Does this make anyone else cringe?
Exceeded the lowest... now that's a quality class.

What's a "Wreck Dive"?
Swimming around the outside of a wreck is not much different from swimming around anything else. Don't go inside anything and there isn't much difference.

Call Aquatic Safaris http://www.aquaticsafaris.com, sign up for a trip to the Liberty Ship (45ft, 3 miles out) If you like it and are comfortable with deeper stuff, do the Stone/Pocohantas (65ft) or the Markham/Hyde (85ft). The latter can be done at 50f if you stay near the top.

Have fun,
John

Hello Self: Congratulations on getting certified and getting in some great dives already. I've read a few posts here and thought I would add a comment or two about having experience for wreck diving. Obviously continued training will never hurt anyone and if you access to wreck diving courses, I highly recommend it because you will pick up things in these courses that you normally will not get in basic and even advanced dive courses... and hopefully get some supervised training while on an offshore vessel.

What concerns me most are otherwise great, healthy, stong divers going 15, 20, even more than 30 miles offshore with limited boating experience. Let's face it, most (but certainly not all) of the really great wreck dives are at least a 1-3 hour boat ride and the seas aren't always smooth. These conditions can impair even the best divers among us.

If you are new to boating start off with a few short trips and build up... obviously if you've been boating all your life and don't get bothered by seasickness then this should not be a concern for you. It's been my experience that most who get in trouble have more difficulty in dealing with seasickness, panic, and other anxiety from having too little experience on the ocean. Yes, it can flat calm some days but this usually is not the case off of NC.

In fact, I was divemaster last weekend on one of the larger commercial boats and we picked up the MAY DAY of the vessel that had the fatality. Since their radio had a limited range, our captain relayed their messages to Coast Gaurd Fort Macon. They were on a 23 footer at the U-352, seas were 3-5 feet, not overly rough for our 50 footer; however, a little much for the 23 footer being more than 25 miles offshore in my opinion. Essentially, the smaller vessel relayed that they were unable to properly render CPR due to lack of room on the vessel and the rough sea state. I cannot say for sure what cuased the diving accident; however, it was quite obvious that the sea conditions and being on a small vessel hindered the ability to properly treat the accident victim.

Bottom line is to use good judgment if operating your own vessel and making sure your expirence level matches the charters you sign onto and never be afraid to ask questions or get a dive leader's assistance if required.

Safe travels,
captain mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom