Do I need an STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a SS backplate.

Do I need to use the STA with it? I have been told that I don't and that the tank will stay in place just fine-never tried it though. True?

Additionally,

I brought my SS backplate to Bora Bora and it tore into my wing while bouncing around in my scuba duffel.

Would an ABS backplate prevent this? Are ABS plates sturdy for diving?

Finally,

And difference between the dive rite, OMS an Hammerhead aluminum plates? The Hammerhead and Dive Rites(on Leisurepro) are about the same price.

Thanks
Mike

I guess you could not use one but why?
Not much diff in the quality of the BPs from the ones Ive seen. Dont know about the ABS but it sounds good for travel.

If your tank is a large steel, you will want a STA. Smaller lighter tanks work without a STA.

Don't pack your wing attached to your BP. Guess you know that now.

ABS backplate is fine for singles but makes scary creaking noises with twins.

As for STA, if the backplate has cam slots you can try to see if the tank is secure or not. From my experience its difficult to get the tank properly aligned and tightened without one. If thats the case just get an STA.

Ive just moved from ABS to an Aluminium backplate which is a lot sturdier than ABS but still quite light (i travel a lot).

Differences between backplates are minimal - generally a plate is a plate. Some have slightly deeper centre groves or more holes around the edge but theyre all basically the same bit of metal and same design.

buff:
I have a SS backplate.

Do I need to use the STA with it? I have been told that I don't and that the tank will stay in place just fine-never tried it though. True?

Additionally,

I brought my SS backplate to Bora Bora and it tore into my wing while bouncing around in my scuba duffel.

Would an ABS backplate prevent this? Are ABS plates sturdy for diving?

Finally,

And difference between the dive rite, OMS an Hammerhead aluminum plates? The Hammerhead and Dive Rites(on Leisurepro) are about the same price.

Thanks
Mike

You should keep your wing and plate seperated for travel. My wings travel with my mask and instruments. My plates live with fins and weight belt.

It is quite possible to directly secure your tank to your plate without a STA, doesn't much matter if the tank is big or little, steel or AL.

The key is to not provide any high points for the tank to "rock" on. A common problem is the bolts that are often used to secure the wing to the plate. These bolt heads become the "Point" contact between the tank and the back plate.

You do not need to bolt the wing to the plate, the cambands will keep everything together. Just say no to bolts.

Good luck,

Tobin

Who woulda thought that scuba would be so much alphabet soup?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom