Do I need a compass for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well the title says it all. My last compass broke a few years back. By the sounds of it Bonaire is pretty easy to naviagate. So for all of you who have been there do you suggest one or not?

It never hurts. If you prefer avoiding surface swims to get to a buoy then a compass is handy, especially with the Hilma Hooker. Once you reach a wall, you mostly just need to know your left from your right.

I know a compass was invaluable to me when doing night dives at the salt pier, getting from one set of columns to the next with so-so visibility.

The easy answer is no... You can go in and pick a land mark on the reef and do your dive and be fine... The real answer is a good diver always have the tools needed or many be needed on that dive.. Taking a compass heading before heading off into the blue is just a smart thing to do

Jim...

Yes! Compass readings will make your dive go more smoothly.

Swim out the the buoy, take a reading of the direction the reef runs (now you know your out & back headings), then take a reading of the heading back to your truck/shore exit point. Drop down and note the bottom depth and unique features of your bottom point so you can find it upon your return. Head off into the (likely little) current, turn at your self-determined turn-point, once you return to your bottom starting point (base of the buoy) you can stay at depth and use your compass reading to head back toward your exit point until you reach your air limit or shallow depth when you will surface, just a tiny bit offshore of your desired exit. Easy peasy.

Enjoy!

As @kotik said, a compass on salt pier on night dives is very useful. We did two there last week and since it isn’t a straightforward right or left dive as other sites, at least for us since we meander the site following eel and octopus around, it really helped me to keep my bearings.

As for the typical reef, we do it a bit differently than @Willar. Eric likes to take a heading toward the reef, do the swim out on scuba since that patch between shore and reef often has a lot of interesting critters. We then either leave a marker or note a significant landmark at the reef and swiim either north (right) or south (left) along the reef. For the swim back to shore we follow the reverse heading. The only thing I do different is on shore I mark the heading to shore and use the reverse to swim out.

But you really don’t have to do this, Since the shore is roughly parallel to the reef you can just eyeball it then correct if you slighly miss the exit when you get to shore. Or as Willar suggested to surface swim to reef, not your landmark, swim out and back to the mark, surface and swim to shore.

Had a dive where surge turned us around and viz. got compromised enough going in that a buddy and I got separated and aborted a shore dive, then went back in with a compass bearing that let us get back on track and out to the reef.

That’s uncommon for Bonaire, but not unknown.

It's always better to have something you don't need than need something and not have it.

I've never regretted having a safety sausage and a whistle even though I've nevet used them.

One more suggestion if you dive Tori's Reef. You swim out through a shallow channel. It's pretty hard to hit the channel mouth perfectly on exit because you are coming in over sand. To the left and right of the channel mouth it's a modest (squat) wall that's not readibly climbable.

Swim in on a heading that will take you slightly to the left or right of the mouth and when you hit the wall, just swim left or right (depending on which you chose) along the wall till you get to the mouth.

I find I use mine a fair amount there. This is particularly true at sites like Invisibles which is a long swim out but worth doing underwater as there is usually lots to see. As uncfnp mentioned, they are handy at Salt Pier as well. I have a clip on one on my BCD. Small price to pay to not waste a dive. In terms of navigating back in, never underestimate the value of "turtle heading" after you have done your SS.

Yes. You should bring a compass if your goal is to be a self-sufficient self-navigating shore diver.

But no need if you just want to be another dive tourist surface-swimming out to a boat buoy line to descend, and then prairie-dogging your exit strategy later. Those guys and girls are great entertainment to watch.

I think it was Daniel Boone who once said: "I have never been lost but I was bewildered once for three days.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom