Do I need a compass for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This September there was a small 2 man support boat for kite boarders at Atlantis running in the shallows (8') down past Vista Blue.
It has a white bottom "multi-chine style hull"?
Don't want to be taking a peak for exit in this area.
Only a matter of time...

Thanks for the suggestions. Compass it is

Good decision.
For myself, a compass is required gear on all dives.

But a compass is useless unless the time is taken to establish some basic headings before entering the water,
such as bearing of intended travel and return, bearing to obstructions or landmarks, direction of shoreline, etc.

Looking at the compass for the first time when you're lost underwater, without bearings or references... well, good luck with that.

So, if you're not going to do the homework first, might as well leave the compass on shore.

Have a great trip.
I love Bonaire.

K

Bonaire's easy if you're lost underwater: South of Delfins, N-E is where the land is. North of Delfins it's pretty much any direction to shore, except that going West you may land on Kleine.

It never hurts. If you prefer avoiding surface swims to get to a buoy then a compass is handy, especially with the Hilma Hooker. Once you reach a wall, you mostly just need to know your left from your right.

I know a compass was invaluable to me when doing night dives at the salt pier, getting from one set of columns to the next with so-so visibility.
Actually, Salt Pier is the one dive site where my Suunto compass doesn't work properly, due to those steel columns...

Good decision.
For myself, a compass is required gear on all dives.

But a compass is useless unless the time is taken to establish some basic headings before entering the water,
such as bearing of intended travel and return, bearing to obstructions or landmarks, direction of shoreline, etc.

Looking at the compass for the first time when you're lost underwater, without bearings or references... well, good luck with that.

So, if you're not going to do the homework first, might as well leave the compass on shore.

Have a great trip.
I love Bonaire.

K
I mostly use my compass on shore dives with a mooring buoy.
Out to the buoy on the surface then shoot the exit point on shore.
Then on return, find the buoy and then follow the bearing for an easy exit.

When no buoy, I usually skip the compass and try to get back close to start point based on time.
Then eventually a pop-up in shallow water for terminal guidance...

I've found it very practical for the underwater swim from the entrance to the reef edge (and back, to surface near the exit), but then I don't mind the swim. Once on the reef itself it's more of a lef-right thing, and I use coral formations and other landmarks to get my bearings. The mooring buoys can be surprisingly invisible from the reef edge at times.

Addition: on some of the top reefs it's fairly easy to become disoriented, if you turn to watch a critter. A compass is very handy to find either the shore or reef edge again :D

It should be noted that tying a marker to the reef is not allowed. Also not necessary...

I found by using a compass on all dives (ok not caves) particularly places I know to have come in handy when I needed it in places I didn’t know very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom