Do I need a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suunto transmitter is pressure-activated at arount 15 bars. When you have a reg freeze and have to shut your tank for a sec, you lose the wireless connection. Maybe Suunto should do a little reprogramming of the transmitter to shut down after 5 mins of pressure lower than 15 bars and activation immediately. IMHO this would resolve a lot of disconnection issues.

Anyway, I love my Vytec but always use a simple backup SPG just in case.

cheers

johnny_bravo:
Millions of dives are done worldwide on wireless transmitters with no problems...the technology is sound sometimes you hear about isolated issues. I use my D9 with no backups other than a watch and my brain. Go ahead and get a backup computer or bottom timer...or enjoy your stay on the dark side :coffee:

Cheers.

-J.-

OK...I understand the thing about using a timer and tables....however, what about Pressure? The transmitter was meant to send info on tank pressure and air left.....You can have a watch and tables but you would still need a backup SPG?

Sorry for the Noob question :confused:

I love my D9....It looks cool too.

You should have either a backup computer or a depth and time keeping device. That way you can use tables if your computer fails. If you are using an air integrated computer, then you should also have an SPG.

Man I did not know how Suunto did there transmitters until now.
That sucks, no wonder why all the tech guys are worried about it reading the wrong tank or losing the link.

Oceanic hard codes the transmitters serial number into there data stream. You then program the computer with that serial number and thats the only one it will read. If you turn your tank off it will lose when there is no pressure, but as soon as the tank is back on it will restore the link.

Eskasi:
OK...I understand the thing about using a timer and tables....however, what about Pressure? The transmitter was meant to send info on tank pressure and air left.....You can have a watch and tables but you would still need a backup SPG?
OTOH, you should always have enough air for both you and your buddy to end the dive safely while breathing just your air, right? So if you lose air pressure info, just end the dive. You shouldn't need a gauge, since you know that you have enough to safely end the dive, particularly if it is just you breathing your air.

Then you can get the SPG out of your dive bag, screw it in in place of the transmitter and be ready for your next dive.

================

The same thing is pretty much true for decompression or NDL info too. You should always know your decompression status, so if the computer dies, simply abort the dive using your buddies computer for depth info if you need to.

My fallback procedure for dive computer failure during an NDL dive (which I've never had to use in 500+ dives on a simple hockey puck non-AI computer) is to end the dive, and then assume that I am in pressure group Z of the PADI table for calculation of NDL for future dives.

Eskasi:
Should I have a backup computer on me too?

No. Its perfectly OK to use the same one you use going forwards. :)

I like having a pressure as when I set my gear up, I can quickly see what pressure I have on my tank, before getting my computer out. It also checks for accuracy of both gauges by comparing them.

Peter_C:
I like having a pressure as when I set my gear up, I can quickly see what pressure I have on my tank, before getting my computer out. It also checks for accuracy of both gauges by comparing them.
I concur. That's the biggest use I get out of my SPG. Much handier than jumping through the hoops needed to activate the computer link.

SPG: Connect reg, turn on gas, look, done.
Computer: Connect reg, turn on gas, get out computer, hit LP inflater for a couple of bursts to wake up the link, look, done.

One of those is a lot simpler...

And as an aside, Uwatec computers semi-permanently pair to their transmitters as well. I've never had to re-pair mine from the day I bought it. Yet another in a long list of reasons I dislike Suunto computers...

I agree that a SPG is actually mandatory. A working pressure read-out on the computer is a bonus.

Actually it's a question (do i need a backup dc?) that can be found quite often on this forum. My opinions is that if you make recreational dives, it is not necessary. On divecomputer failure, you can always go to the surface. If you cannot surface, you're not making a recreational dive but a technical dive. Then a backup is indeed very helpfull, although such dives are done on carefull pre-dive planning and dive-tables, but I assume you are not trained as such.

NiNbubble:
The Suunto transmitter is pressure-activated at arount 15 bars. When you have a reg freeze and have to shut your tank for a sec, you lose the wireless connection. Maybe Suunto should do a little reprogramming of the transmitter to shut down after 5 mins of pressure lower than 15 bars and activation immediately. IMHO this would resolve a lot of disconnection issues.

When it connects the next time, say when the air is turned on, isn't it the same code? I need you (someone!) to explain more about the transmitter problem... I have a D9, and on a recent trip, there were two other D9s on the boat. From the first day, each computer used a different code, and until one day when I changed mine on purpose, they stayed the same. For example, I was on 22, next guy was on 26 and third guy on 05.

What is the big deal? that's what I don't get. Every time I turned my tank off and turned it back on, I got the same code...

Note that I do carry an SPG. :) And you have to admit, the D9 is very sexy!

kari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom