Do I need a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know several people with D9's - my former LDS used to push them. I've seen all of them have trouble with their transmitters on the surface before the dive. I think it's just a Suunto thing, never seen anyone with a Uwatec have an issue.

Anyway, the first thing you need to backup (or just replace) isn't the computer but the transmitter - get an SPG. If you don't have two HP ports, either replace the transmitter or keep an SPG in your save a dive kit (along with a wrench to change it out). Now having an extra computer doesn't quite seem like it's worth the expense for OW diving. If your D9 floods or something, surface, go rent a bottom timer and do the rest of your dives on tables. Of course don't forget to log each of your dives so you can go back and run the tables to figure your N2 loading.

I've used a oceanic data trans plus for about 10 year snow; probably about 600 dives on it. Not one failure.

I use the tables as a backup. I just log my dives as soon as I get out of the water and keep track of my pressure group. If my computer dies I won't have to miss a dive I can just switch to tables. I dive pretty conservitive profiles so this works for me. If you are pushing the limits of your computer you may be in violation of the tables.

Kstnbike:
I also use a D9 and after a few recent incidents, I've decided to get a backup spg. In two seperate instances using the D9 over about 15 dives I've had the computer SPG fail on me. First dive was a fun shallow night dive where the computer linked up fine when I sync'd everything but, when I got in the water the connection failed and I wasn't able to fix it in the water (ended up doing the dive w/ out an SPG b/c it was a very familiar site max depth 25ft. and I knew my tank pressure was 2800 when I hooked it up).

Have you determined the cause of this failure? Presumably it was something more than just getting the "fail" reading on the tank pressure that happens when the computer and transmitter move to far away from each other prior to entering the water?

Same with the closing and opening your tank - the computer should pick up the code again if it's close enough to the transmitter when the tank is opened.

Does your buddy also dive with a D9?

kari

I tried going back to the tables once, after the 2nd dive I was way off the page.

moxie:
They've always both worked, but on one recent trip the backlight on the primary quit on a night dive due to low battery. I just used the backup.

Why not use your dive light to see your computer?
I almost never use the back light on my computer anymore.
To keep from ruining my night vision,
I move the computer (console mount) near the output light cone of
the dive light to catch some indirect backscatter light and it is
plenty to be able to see the computer display.
Works for me even in very clear water.

--- bill

I'm not a big fan to too many high-tech toys, spg and timer {cheap twenty-five dollar Timex watch that has been on a couple of hundred dives without failure} are on every dive along with my computer and a copy of the tables are always in my log book.

I dive a wireless air integrated computer, specifically a Uwatec Smart Z. So far I have had no failures, but like many others, there is a back up SPG mounted to my left hip D ring. One part of the DIR way is to have the SPG mounted on the left hip. I choose that method and it has worked well for me. The gauge is not in the way at all underwater.

Your back up is your buddy for one. Two you should plan your dives accordingly and know how to manage your gas consumption. Three, ANY electronic gadget can and will fail eventually. A good SPG, a time keeping device( watch ) and a bottom timer are some of the best solutions to a back up. Plus your dive tables. If ou rely on a computer to tell you how much air you have left...if it fails and you have no idea how much gas s left...you may be asking for trouble of sorts.

Having said that. the D9 have had failures, several of my buddies whom got them bad boys had to return them for servicing and upgrades...go figure.

Also note that all computers do not have the same algorythms. So getting one that matches you primary would be optimal.

So learn your tables again and rely on that plus a timer. it is your best back up to an electronic failure.

bperrybap:
Why not use your dive light to see your computer?
I almost never use the back light on my computer anymore.
To keep from ruining my night vision,
I move the computer (console mount) near the output light cone of
the dive light to catch some indirect backscatter light and it is
plenty to be able to see the computer display.
Works for me even in very clear water.

--- bill
I do occasionally, and obviously can if I need to, but I prefer using the backlight, particularly if I am not using a dive light intentionally. Like I said, the computer still worked. This was a minor thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom