Do I need a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a D9 with wireless transmitter. Should I have a backup computer on me too? I have read that some divers are doing so.

I understand that perhaps one as a spare may be good....

I also use a D9 and after a few recent incidents, I've decided to get a backup spg. In two seperate instances using the D9 over about 15 dives I've had the computer SPG fail on me. First dive was a fun shallow night dive where the computer linked up fine when I sync'd everything but, when I got in the water the connection failed and I wasn't able to fix it in the water (ended up doing the dive w/ out an SPG b/c it was a very familiar site max depth 25ft. and I knew my tank pressure was 2800 when I hooked it up).

The second instance was this weekend when I was doing a deep dive in cold water. I had a reg freeze up at 100ft. and my buddy had to turn my air off for me to clear the ice. Anyways, after the air was turned back on, the computer failed to recognize my tank pressure which forced the D9 into deco mode. Luckily, just before my buddy turned my air off I was watching the computer and knew that I had 1200 psi left so I was able to somewhat gauge my air on the ascent. (I dropped from 2200 psi to 1200 psi in about 10-15 seconds...)

Other than the wireless tank pressure failing on me I love the D9 and haven't had any other problems with it (knock on wood).

-Kstnbike

Geez...that would have pissed me off the 2nd time in 15 dives....I would have called Suunto and yelled at them....over 400 bucks more for a wireless transmitter!
I wonder if this is a common thing? If so, it kinda makes the whole concept of wireless SPG rubbish and unsafe

I hear that quite a few D9's have the same issue. There was a guy in my group recently had the same happen to his D9 and it was the 2nd time. His wireless just refused to comunicate with his Comp. He had to send it to finland the 1st time it happened, I guess he's got to send it there again this time.

Not being a fan of wireless.....

I now carry a back up. After looking at some of the prices of "vacation" locations purchases, and, after having a brand new computer go bottoms up on me on the second dive, I just feel a little better having a pod on my wrist and another on a D ring. And yep, had to use the back up one time.

My wife and I have Pro Plus 2's and Atom 2.0's

Just keep in mind the backup wont do any good unless it goes on all the dives.

For the cost of a dive vacation, the backup is cheap insurance.

Pretty soon it will be fashionable to backup our backup computer and still have an analog guage on board.

I'd be calling Suunto and sending my thousand dollar dive comp back to them if ANYTHING failed to work well into the hundreds of dives.

:coffee:

We should be able to trust our equipment especially top of the line equipment.

Having said that I know I'll have an analog SPG hooked to my first stage along with my Cobra.

Eskasi:
I just got a D9 with wireless transmitter. Should I have a backup computer on me too? I have read that some divers are doing so.

I understand that perhaps one as a spare may be good....

Either a backup or additional timing and depth devices with tables.

cloudboy55

Eskasi:
If so, it kinda makes the whole concept of wireless SPG rubbish and unsafe

Millions of dives are done worldwide on wireless transmitters with no problems...the technology is sound sometimes you hear about isolated issues. I use my D9 with no backups other than a watch and my brain. Go ahead and get a backup computer or bottom timer...or enjoy your stay on the dark side :coffee:

Cheers.

-J.-

A backup computer is a good idea regardless of the type of primary computer you're using. If one or the other dies on a trip you just start using the other with no time lost. My primary is an Oceanic VersaPro on my wrist with an older Oceanic DataPlus in my console in place of the analog depth gauge. Good system, at least for me. They've always both worked, but on one recent trip the backlight on the primary quit on a night dive due to low battery. I just used the backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom