Do decompression divers use computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this study was NOT done on technical dives, this appeared in the UHMJ.

Is there reason to think this would not extrapolate into technical diving as well??

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/7901

We recommend a deep stop of at least 2 1/2 mins at 15 msw (50 fsw) in addition to the customary 6 msw (20 fsw) for 3-5 mins for 25 meter dives of 20 to 25 minutes to reduce PDDB (precordial Doppler detectable bubbles).

While I agree, the jury may still be out regarding the efficacy of deep stops, to say "the case does not look good" seems misleading at the least.

Last edited:
Ryan,

As you mentioned, there seems to be a consensus that there are two kinds of deep stops.

During the UHMS Deep Stops workshop in June, there were two types of deep stops defined. There was a lot of discussion about how to define them, but my understanding was this:

Empirical Deep Stops
Stops that are added to the decompression stops derived from the model. Some examples would be Pyle stops, microbubble stops, or GF stops. I see these as stops that are in addition to the basic stops. These deep stops extend the total decompression time. This is shown in the first graph.

Model-derived Deep Stops
Stops that are an inherent part of the model. Some examples would be RGBM, VPM, and VVAL-18. These plans tend to show a shortened overall decompression time with deeper initial stops.

One of the primary studies presented was one done by NEDU.

As I understand it, the deep stop profile was derived from a Navy bubble model. But it was modified to create dives that would have symptoms. If you have no incidents, you have no data points. By the way, that is one of the reasons that this is important data. The end-point was injured divers, not high bubble scores. There are not many places in the world you can do this kind of research. I don't think it would be legal in Canada any more. We owe these guys.

The experimental dives are shown in the second graph.

To put this in perspective, the scientists involved expected to show that deeper stops would improve the outcome or at least be "not worse." That was not the result.

While this isn't proof that deep stops don't work, it isn't promising either. There are a few caveats though.

1. This tested profiles where the overall dive time was the same as without the deep stops. Typical bubble models create this sort of profile with deeper stops and the same or shorter total profiles.

This doesn't say anything about deep stops that extend the decompression like Pyle stops, microbubble stops, or GF stops.

2. This was an air test. Maybe trimix dives would have different outcomes.

3. This tested specific profiles. Maybe different profiles would have had different outcomes.

In addition, there were other studies presented and discussed. The best that could be said is that the evidence for deep stops was conflicting.

I am not a doctor or physiologist. The room was full of those guys and if I am getting this wrong, I invite corrections.

Bruce

The attached graphs are Copyright C 2008 Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Inc.

Attachments

• Empirical_crop.jpg
    Empirical_crop.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Model-Derived_crop.jpg
    Model-Derived_crop.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 38
Brian,

Dr. Marroni presented a survey of his previous research in this area, and quite a few other people presented.

This evidence was considered in the conclusion that the evidence was conflicting.

But keep in mind that the study you quote had an end-point of bubble grades, not decompression injury. It's not quite as compelling.

Bruce

While this study was NOT done on technical dives, this appeared in the UHMJ.

Is there reason to think this would not extrapolate into technical diving as well??

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/7901
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/7901/1/18251436.pdf

Very interesting, Bruce. Thanks for the info. Its good to see the guy that built my computer is staying on top of this!! :)

The 2008 DAN Tech Conference ppt slides and videos are available to DAN members at the following web site: DAN Divers Alert Network

The Decompression Session contains a presentation on Deep Stops, but also one on DCS Risk Factors that is also pertinent.

Yes, the DAN Conference DVD is also a very good source of information. That conference was a more general conference about how to make tech diving safer. There were some great presentations.

The UHMS Deep Stops Workshop proceedings are available from UHMS.
UHMS -

Bruce

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom