Do decompression divers use computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I am looking at buying a new dive computer and I know some have the capabilities to do gas changes during a dive. The little I know about deco diving, is that most (if not all??) tech divers use decompression software, or tables to calculate their deco obligations. If this is so, do they use their dive computers as well? If not, what are the advantages of having the capabilities to have your backgas + deco gas as options in your computer?

The reason I ask is I am wondering if it is at all worthwhile to buy a computer that can grow with my diving if I ever decide to go down the technical route.

, do they use their dive computers as well?

The reason I ask is I am wondering if it is at all worthwhile to buy a computer that can grow with my diving if I ever decide to go down the technical route.

Some do,some dont.

Before laying down $$$ on a computer that you might use for technical diving one day make sure you know what you are buying.

There are very few computers that are really suitable for significant technical dives: Liquivision X-1,Shearwater Pursuit, VR3,Nitek X (maybe if it ever actually gets produced) and thats about it.

Dont waste your money on a recreational computer thats pretending to be a technical computer (Galileo Sol etc)

Scottty,
The real answer is yes, most technical divers use computers. Keep in mind that every single technical diver I know backs up their computer with tables.

This normally means a dive planned based on tables and dived based on the computer.

Some people I know use the computer as the primary, and use tables as the ultimate back-up (dry suit pocket). Even in those situations, those divers still know (roughly) their deco obligation prior to the dive based on tables.

For me? I currently dive a Shearwater Pursuit. I used to dive a VR3. I dive a manual rebreather (KISS Classic), but normally follow my Shearwater deco schedule.

If I do a big dive (deeper than 200'), I do a full plan, a half plan, an extended plan (5 minutes longer 20' deeper) all using tables. I write these on white electrical tape on my computer. I follow my computer deco - If I lose the computer(s), I follow the tables.

One strong recommendation I can make is a Nitek Duo. I use these for bottom timers now, but they are very capable 2 gas computers. I bought them during my OC days, and now use them for CCR as a BT.

Yeah... A lot of the tech divers whom I dive with use computers. Many cut tables, and use a computer.

The New VRx is also very cool (the latest VR3).

Computers like Shearwater, VR's, or Liquivision also allow for the software to be upgraded, to keep up with this ever in flux hypothesis of decompression.

If you plan to do tech diving and you want to use a computer, then you'll end up needing a mixed gas computer, and these are substantially more expensive than nitrox computers. There are also going to be technological advances that will make these computers "better" and perhaps less expensive in the future. I think the money would be better spent buying the nitrox computer now, and when you get into tech diving, buy the appropriate computer at that time.

The Oceanic Atom 2 (as well as other Oceanic Computers) have ability to do 3 gasses (non trimix) which isn't bad for a less than $700 computer.

Not to mention that the deco profile was pretty good, compared to my table that I had made from V-Planner (when I use mine).

If you buy a computer, any computer, there will come a day that you will look at it and say to yourself, that stupid, I know that's not right, and you will follow your backup tables, as you should. But never forget all the previous dives that it made sense on, and you followed it. It's kind of like nuclear disarmament ... trust, but verify.

I use a DiveRite Duo for deco dives on Nitrox. My buddy uses a VR3. Except for his computer stopping him 1/2way (which I do anyway), our deco obligations are close to the same. However, most of our deco obligations are less than 10 minutes.

We just got our trimix certification. For future trimix dives, I will use V-Planner - may be a while before I drop $$$ on a trimix computer.:wink:

Last edited:
Dive tables, back up with computer here.

I also agree that by the time you want a technical computer things will have changed enough to either warrant buying the latest thing or getting what you would have bought any way but at a better price used.

(also, you are going to probably want two)

I am just getting into TDI's Advanced nitrox and deco course. I have had my Oceanic VT3 for approx. 110 dives, I really like it. It's just not going to be enough. By great fortune the instructor bought a new Liquivision. She has sold me her VR3 which is virtually new at a great deal. I have tried to investigate as much as I could they all seem good at this level. This one can make the digits larger, I wanted that. My dive buddies use it and they really like the VR3 so I am a lemming I guess.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom