Do decompression divers use computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found the shortcming for the Duo is that if you violate the computer, it locks you out for 48 hours even for a minor violation. It is good for what it is, an inexpensive two gas computer and a gauge.

I have never liked the VR3 deep stops, and recent research indicates deep stops are not working. The VPM tables for the VR3 made it better. The new VRx is better still and enables you to change the Gradient Factors, and is much better than VR3.

The Shearwater is a great little (not that little) computer that is very intuitive and you can pretty much use it without reading the manual (although I am not recommending this). Two buttons, Menu & Select (easy), it has big well lit numbers, and lots of features including the ability to change Gradient Factors.

The HSE Explorer does not work, period. It is crap.

Most improtant thing to me: The computer can be upgraded, as what we know about diving and decompression changes.

CHeers

JC
The Duo has a reset button...:D

I sold my Vr3 as it blatantly refused to do proper VPM.......even though I paid for that.:shakehead:

The HSE Explorer does not work, period. It is crap.

OUCH!

I use this computer. I'd appreciate if you'd expand on your concerns. You mean doesn't work "physically"- like batteries don't last very long, or can't accurately measure the depth/time- or do you mean "mentally" like bad or unsafe or out-of-date-algorithm?

Or maybe your reference is to how it works with CCR and that might not apply to how it works with OC?

Anyway, I only use it as backup to computer generated tables, but the HSE RGBM algorithm does seem to follow the RGBM algorithm from GAP pretty closely.

Thanks in advance for your input.

And one point of clarification from my post...

I dive CCR with the Shearwater integrated into the cells. Prior to a big-ish dive, I write out my plan(s) on white electrical tape. This obviously includes schedules for bailout too.

I do all of my planning on iDeco on the iPhone - It implements the Buhlmann16 algorithm w/Erik Bakers GF's. I wrote it, so I trust it :D

I run the plan based on the deco schedule on the Shearwater, then switch to preselected plans should the computer quit.

If the CCR has an issue, I swap the Shearwater to OC and run the OC bailout schedule it shows.

If the computer quits, I still have a backup BT (I usually carry *2* Nitek Duo's from my OC days) and I run the preplanned bailout schedule on white tape.

I also noticed the mention of bailout gas planning. Very good point. That's why I included full bailout gas planning on iDeco - It's FREE too, NOT a commercial venture.

Have an iPhone or iPod Touch? Go grab iDeco from the AppStore.

b.

As someone previously mentioned, you may be better to buy a simple rec computer and then buy an actual tech computer when you get to that point in your training. There are alot of great computers on the market but they get better all the time.

In tech diving it is essential to preplan your dive profile. You need to have several plans to cover shorter longer, deeper and contingencies. However you accomplish this is up to you, however, jumping in the water on a dive that you will end up with an overhead and not knowing your gas consumption or time to surface is not good.

Be careful what computer you choose for Tech. Some are very agressive, and can get you bent. I carry a computer and a bottom timer, and use the computer for backup. Its much better to do a little more deco and not risk a hit!

Some do, some don't.

I dive a VR3. Like it on trimix dives and love it on cave dives.

I follow the VR3 but also plan my dive. Before the dive the depth and time is chosen. Dive plans are ran and all the contingency table are cut - more depth, more time, lost gas and so on. Then dive the plan. That way if the computer bombs out on you during your deco you know where you are and can fall back to tables. If you just dive your computer without having planned the dive and having a backup you are asking for trouble.

Don't blow money on one right away. They are a nice to have, not a need to have. You can do any type of diving you want with tables and a timer.

I had a computer for my first couple of deco dives because I thought it would be nice to have it as a reference on the dive but after a couple of user errors or locking it out because we were done with our plan and ascended, I just picked up a bottom timer and plan my dives ahead of time.

The diving sure became easier when you just jump in and dive knowing the plan ahead of time instead of waiting until the end of the dive for the computer to tell you what to do.

As far as computer shopping I suggest getting a model that can be set to gauge mode in case you decide to be a "purist" like me :)

The diving sure became easier when you just jump in and dive knowing the plan ahead of time instead of waiting until the end of the dive for the computer to tell you what to do.

Were you not planning your dives ahead of time with another program that generated similar profiles to your computer?

A good computer for technical diving will never lock you out.

A good dive computer for those considering eventually getting into tech diving is the Aladdin Tec2G. It has a great gauge mode with a resettable timer that comes in real handy for keeping track of deco stops.

I dive the Liquivision X1 as my primary computer and the Tec2G in gauge mode as backup. But I first run tables, then use those as a baseline for establishing a deco schedule with my team. Depending on who I'm diving with, that may or may not be a Ratio Deco profile. I find that the X1 set to a +3 conservatism level tracks very closely with an RD schedule for dives in the 150-220 fsw range and a bottom time of 20-30 minutes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Were you not planning your dives ahead of time with another program that generated similar profiles to your computer?

A good computer for technical diving will never lock you out.

Nope. The computer would start deco at 10' and then they would get deeper. My preplanned profiles would start deep and end shallow.

The lock out was because the computer would not start to count deco until you were close to the stop. I had a couple of nitrox computers 2 from Dive Rite and an Oceanic.

Good point on the tech computers. Never did get a chance to try one of those.

Before I picked up a VR3 I was using a Nitek Plus on just air/nitrox deco dives and I just put the thing in gauge mode - they use the bend & fix method of getting you out of the water and I didn't like that very much! They do the job but not a very good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom