DMs working for free - can it be good for the customer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I saw THIS advert in the classifieds section today. I've never actually seen a dive centre that expected DMs to work for free, although I guess it must happen (probably a regional thing?).

I just can't get my head around how this is a positive thing for the dive industry and, in particular, for the customer/diver.

Surely, such 'initiatives' under-mine the professionalism of DMs? How can an 'employee' truly be motivated if they have no reward system for working?

What sort of 'dive professional' would be happy for an 'opportunity' like this? Surely not someone with any high standards or long-term career intentions in the dive industry?

Drunken gap-year dive pros... :shakehead:

The motivation comes from enjoying diving and seeing the enjoyment the customer/divers that we dive with. The reward is listening to the cool stories the other divers share with you. It's mostly volunteer work here in Florida, where I DM. We work for tips only, but to get free diving (and a LOT of it!) is a form of being paid for the diving. I couldn't afford to dive as much as I do if I wasn't a DM. I never get tired of diving the same sites because you always see something different. It's not for everybody, but I know I love it!

There is always something that attracts someone.

From the point of view of the business, I imagine they get what they pay for. However think about the profile of the person that would go for this:
-most likely young (< 30 y/o),
-thinks of him/herself as adventurer and able to handle anything,
-may or may not be a great diver but thinks so.
A person like that is perfect as a DM in a tourist destination if on top of that is good looking, the business hit the jackpot.

Now from the point of view of the individual, assuming the profile above, picture the following logic:
-dude, I can dive all I want in a Mediterranean island, and don't have to worry about paying rent... sweet!!!

I think that would apply for a foreigner that would take that position and for locals what jupitermermaid said

If I were a DM, I would do it. Free accommodation is included, and if I could pick up some hours in a near-by pub, restaurant, or nightclub, then I would have a little cash coming in. Plus, I would get to dive for free. I think it would be a fun way to spend the summer. Maybe next year, I'll look into it, when I have some more dives and some more training under my belt.

Around here, ALL divemasters work for free . . . and they don't get their lodging thrown in, either :)

I don't think this dive op will get (or is trying to get) people whose intent is to make a life-long profession of instruction or dive shop management. They'll get young people for whom diving for free sounds like a blast, and who don't mind working evening shifts at a bar to buy food. They'll spend a summer like that, and then go back to school with a bunch of neat (or maybe not so neat) memories to enjoy ten years hence, when they're talking to their colleagues in the insurance company.

I suspect a fair number of dive guides I've been in the water with in various places weren't a whole lot different from that.

I saw THIS advert in the classifieds section today. I've never actually seen a dive centre that expected DMs to work for free, although I guess it must happen (probably a regional thing?).

I just can't get my head around how this is a positive thing for the dive industry and, in particular, for the customer/diver.

Surely, such 'initiatives' under-mine the professionalism of DMs? How can an 'employee' truly be motivated if they have no reward system for working?

What sort of 'dive professional' would be happy for an 'opportunity' like this? Surely not someone with any high standards or long-term career intentions in the dive industry?

Drunken gap-year dive pros... :shakehead:

Are hospital volunteers (candy stripers) good for patients? Why should a dive op pay DMs when they can easily get the job done for free?

The problem is that scuba trainers see DM training courses primarily as a means to provide them income and not as a means to produce needed DMs. The result is a gross over-supply of DMs and few paying jobs for them.

There are DM's here in South Florida that are obvious weekend warriors and pretty much appear to do it for the free diving, and then there are some that work all week, that I don't personally believe they do it for free, unless they are independently wealthy...even though the boat captain gives you the same old speech at the end of the trip.

I have coached many many sports and have done so on a paid basis and also as a volunteer. I dont coach any differently when I am volunteering as I do when I a being paid or coach better when being paid more than when being paid less.

Why have I/do I volunteer at times? Love of the sports and a desire to pass on what I have learned from others.

Why would others do the same kind of thing with Scuba? Well, I think there are just about as many reasons to volunteer as there are volunteers.

I am 56 years old now and disabled/retired. If I had the necessary credentials to work in the scuba field for free I would sure do so....assuming it wouldnt actually cost me money out of pocket to do it......ok that is probably not 100% true. Under the right circumstances I would do it even if it cost me money out of pocket to do it.

Heck, I am currently coaching High School track as a volunteer. In doing so I not only burn fuel to get to different places but I also provide drinks healthy snacks on meet days for the athletes that I coach. I also pay my own way to go to coaching clinics from time to time in order to make sure that I am as well prepared and qualified as I can be.

I have been doing this at this particular school for going on four years now and the schools top ten lists for both the boys and the girls in the two events I coach are around 50% kids I have coached and I have two or three athletes end up qualifying for post season competition every year. So, I think it is safe to say that the fact that I am not paid has no bearing at all on the quality of coaching I provide.

And no, I dont have any relatives that are on the team and it isnt even the school that I went to or the school that my kids went to.

I dont mean to toot my own horn here but, just saying that one does not always "get what they pay for" and I think it is possible that some of the people working in the dive industry for free are as good or better than some those being paid to do so.

However, I can certainly see where someone being paid to work in the dive industry would have a problem with it, as it would tend to eliminate some paid positions and perhaps even depress the amount of money one can make in the industry in some areas.

I think most DM's here work for free. A friend is one and she's never mentioned being paid. I think it even costs her for gas etc. to assist w/local dive certs etc. Afaik she has no real strong desire to become an Instructor either - it's not her day job.

Otoh another friend acted as trip coordinator for a Bahamas Liveaboard trip. Since the boat had it's own DM's, his entire workload was traveling with the group. $300ish (crew tip) for a week of LOB diving would motivate me...:D

Sounds like a good deal. With a few conditions:

1) Air is free
2) Equipment is at cost
3) Training is free for advancement. You want me to work for your for free so you can profit, you will be signing off on the training I will be continuing with.

Back
Top Bottom