DMs working for free - can it be good for the customer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw THIS advert in the classifieds section today. I've never actually seen a dive centre that expected DMs to work for free, although I guess it must happen (probably a regional thing?).

I just can't get my head around how this is a positive thing for the dive industry and, in particular, for the customer/diver.

Surely, such 'initiatives' under-mine the professionalism of DMs? How can an 'employee' truly be motivated if they have no reward system for working?

What sort of 'dive professional' would be happy for an 'opportunity' like this? Surely not someone with any high standards or long-term career intentions in the dive industry?

Drunken gap-year dive pros... :shakehead:

Very common in the med to have DMs on "internships" that last 8 months. They're used really as slave labour,fill tanks, guide and so on without pay for the length of that time.

Some shops may choose to use "free" help, but in turn the DM's may receive shop perks. The shop may pay their insurance, give gear to them, free air fills, etc.
Sounds fine to me.

My 20-something niece is not a diver but has traveled all over the world doing similar gigs with surfing and skiing. If she has a place to unroll her sleeping bag and an opportunity to spend a few months someplace she's never been before, she's all over it and she's happy to work for tips. Money is not much of a consideration to her at this point in her life, it's all about new experiences. Frankly, I'm jealous as hell and wish I had been that adventurous in my own youth.

My 20-something niece is not a diver but has traveled all over the world doing similar gigs with surfing and skiing. If she has a place to unroll her sleeping bag and an opportunity to spend a few months someplace she's never been before, she's all over it and she's happy to work for tips. Money is not much of a consideration to her at this point in her life, it's all about new experiences. Frankly, I'm jealous as hell and wish I had been that adventurous in my own youth.

So true!

I think it depends on the role of the divemaster for the particular op. Assisting in classes or being another pair of hands to carry tanks and help around the shop in exchange for some diving is fairly common. But I don't know any DM who crews a boat or guides for free.

People do it all the time. For example, you're a dive professional that comes here and gives away free advice about your profession. You get nothing from it but enjoyment and you might learn some more, too.

At an earlier point in my life with few responsibilities and the ability to spend a few months doing something like this I think I would have done it. Who knows, maybe someday decades from now when my kid is grown and on her own I will.

Greetings DevonDiver while I was DMing it was for free as far as payment.
The instructor we assisted was very very good to us, gear for cost, free air fills, meals, and a special gift once and a while.
The greatest gift I was given was his friendship, mentorship!
The other DM's I know work for free and it is their passion to train and assist others.

Any DM who has assisted enough will tell you that instructors really do not make that much training!
It is just tough to make it on Scuba alone.
I am not saying these things to deflate anyones dreams but it is the reality of the real dive training scene.
There are a lot of hidden costs to take care of when you enter a professional rating.

I have accepted tips and or meals and been very happy to help others for nothing!
I do not dive or assist training to get rich, it is just not that way it is.
Safe diving all.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Surely, such 'initiatives' under-mine the professionalism of DMs? How can an 'employee' truly be motivated if they have no reward system for working?

Professionalism isn't a function of how much you are paid. Most DM's are paid badly if at all. In fact, I would think most dive pros would make more money cooking french fries at McDonalds if money is really what motivates you.

Drunken gap-year dive pros... :shakehead:
I don't know where you read that. This comment says more about you than it does about dive pros in Cyprus.

R..

Divemasters working here in Louisiana and in many of the other parts of the country do it pretty much for free.

Our shop provides all the air fills they want, our trips, their trips, doesn't matter. Meals are on us when we're doing classes at the shop or traveling. Same for hotel rooms and insurance. Dive gear is at cost.

So although they're not handed cash they do get some things of value. I know not all shops do this. And we try and push our DM's to continue on to become instructors. I have three that will be doing their IDC's some time this summer. Some are quite content assiting with classes, travel, etc. and don't want to go any farther.

I have had good DM's on boats when I travel and of course tip accordingly. I also tell my new students that the people helping on the boat are divemastering for experience, training etc. and to not only leave a tip but thank them for good service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom