DM-ing in Boracay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Marm, yes there are regular openings in dive shops... But how many of those openings offer "stable" year-round employment with pay that is sufficient to make a decent life for yourself? Those jobs, the ones that would be interesting for making a life/career long commitment to, are much much rarer! And there are many more people looking for those jobs! So you need to be good in order to get them!

I'm not trying to discourage you. On the contrary!!! I hope you succeed! But it won't be an easy road to success. And if doing your courses in a place without beautifull beaches will give you a head start (because the instruction is really good; or the dive shop is willing to hire you afterwards), I think you should consider it carefully! You might not get the white sand, but you'll have better chances of employment!

Of course, if you can get both, why not? But keep in perspective what your priorities are! Work/ career or Fun/ vacation?

Good luck my friend!!!!!:coffee::coffee:

My top priority will always be doing DM and IDC so that I can work in the industry right after. But it would be nice if I can have them somewhere with a nice beach. Maybe this is my wishful thinking afterall.

I never thought the industry would be this difficult. I always thought there are always a lot of instructors who would just come and go and that there are always openings in dive shops...

:coffee:

<< Santa Fe has some really nice beaches but unfortunately there is no dive shop on Bantayan.

Malapascua is the next island over you might wanna check out. Alona beach is another place - you can get per month housing over there. PM Gilligan for more info. He's there right now. >>

I am totally shocked to learn that there are actually no dive shop in Bantayan! it looked like the "good old Boracay" back in the 80s' !!!!:popcorn::popcorn:

another one of those boracay-20-years-ago places is camotes islands also in cebu. i think they have a dive shop there: johnny's fun n dive. you can google it.

Well Marm, yes there are regular openings in dive shops... But how many of those openings offer "stable" year-round employment with pay that is sufficient to make a decent life for yourself? Those jobs, the ones that would be interesting for making a life/career long commitment to, are much much rarer! And there are many more people looking for those jobs! So you need to be good in order to get them!

I'm not trying to discourage you. On the contrary!!! I hope you succeed! But it won't be an easy road to success. And if doing your courses in a place without beautifull beaches will give you a head start (because the instruction is really good; or the dive shop is willing to hire you afterwards), I think you should consider it carefully! You might not get the white sand, but you'll have better chances of employment!

Of course, if you can get both, why not? But keep in perspective what your priorities are! Work/ career or Fun/ vacation?

Good luck my friend!!!!!:coffee::coffee:

CODMAN, when you were around in PG, were there many dive shops employing? what are the chances of getting an offer in PG for me?:coffee:

But of course, if any dive shop in Boracay would offer me a position, that would be living up to my Boracay dream.

While there, I saw 1 center looking for a dive guide WITH EXPERIENCE!! That's all... But it doesn't mean you won't find a job! I'm sure there are several places looking to hire, but not necessarily advertising... The real question is, how much will they pay? Is it enough for you to live off of?

I think while negociating your IDC with a dive center, you should be asking them about work possibilities with them afterwards! It's an important aspect for you! If you get an IDC in a good shop, and you do well, and they are willing to hire you afterwards... That's your first foot in the industry! They you can gain some experience and maybe make a name for yourself, which will help you find other jobs (maybe even in Boracay). Another possibility (if you are good) is freelancing in various shops! Some shops might not need a full time instructor! But could be interested in hiring extra help when they become very busy! If you are able to combine this with a few shops, you can maybe make enough for a living there!

In general, I think your chances of finding work there is going to be very dependant on how well you do in your course and the contacts you make at the shop while doing the course!

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

CODMAN, when you were around in PG, were there many dive shops employing? what are the chances of getting an offer in PG for me?:coffee:

But of course, if any dive shop in Boracay would offer me a position, that would be living up to my Boracay dream.

another one of those boracay-20-years-ago places is camotes islands also in cebu. i think they have a dive shop there: johnny's fun n dive. you can google it.

damn you for introducing me to one more island paradise!!!!!hahahahaha:rofl3::rofl3:

Camotes islands are now on my list of must-visit-islands!!!!:10:

While there, I saw 1 center looking for a dive guide WITH EXPERIENCE!! That's all... But it doesn't mean you won't find a job! I'm sure there are several places looking to hire, but not necessarily advertising... The real question is, how much will they pay? Is it enough for you to live off of?

I think while negociating your IDC with a dive center, you should be asking them about work possibilities with them afterwards! It's an important aspect for you! If you get an IDC in a good shop, and you do well, and they are willing to hire you afterwards... That's your first foot in the industry! They you can gain some experience and maybe make a name for yourself, which will help you find other jobs (maybe even in Boracay). Another possibility (if you are good) is freelancing in various shops! Some shops might not need a full time instructor! But could be interested in hiring extra help when they become very busy! If you are able to combine this with a few shops, you can maybe make enough for a living there!

In general, I think your chances of finding work there is going to be very dependant on how well you do in your course and the contacts you make at the shop while doing the course!

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Your 0.02$ meant A LOT to me CODMAN!:10::10::10:

my Boracay dream

I'm just trying to help with my limited, yet fresh, knowledge of the dive industry around there!
If you percevere, and apply yourself to be the best you can be at being an instructor, I'm sure you'll make it to working at your dive dream destination one day!

:coffee::coffee:

damn you for introducing me to one more island paradise!!!!!hahahahaha:rofl3::rofl3:

Camotes islands are now on my list of must-visit-islands!!!!:10:

remember, the Philippines has 7,100 islands :D

emotcolbertdt3.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom