DM-ing in Boracay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I may add my 0.02$, having just finnished up my DM course in the Philippines...

If you really want to be able to work there, I would strongly advise you to do a full Instructor course (IDC). Here is the basis of the oppinion that was formed after many a long discussion about this with knowledgeable people in the industry there.

As a divemaster, you'll be pretty much hired as a dive guide. That's all. So to be a good dive guide (and be an interesting candidate), you need to know the local dive sites like the back of your hand. That takes time and lots of money. And no, don't think for a minute they will hire (and pay) a newly graduated DM with the intention of letting him slowly build this experience! They want it now, and there are plenty of dive guides with experience out there... So either you'll need to spend 3 months there paying to dive, to gain the experience, or you just won't be interesting for hiring dive shops!

Now, Instructor is a different story. because even if you aren't the best dive guide out there (or you don't have sufficient experience yet), you can go to a pool or confined area and give courses (which is lucrative for the shop). So you can be usefull for a dive shop without the dive site knowledge of the locals. And then, all while being a good employe for the shop, you can learn the local sites and the fauna and also become a good dive guide! So doing the instructor course will greatly increase your chances of being hired in my oppinion.

As for the gear, watch out! Many shops want their instructors using the same gear as the shop. So buying in advance might be a bad idea if you are going to do the IDC course. Wait, and negociate equipment with the shop while shopping around for an internship.

Anyways, this is my oppinion on it! I wish you luck pursuing your dream!:coffee:

CODMAN: CONGRATS.....reality is a bitch isn't it? Glad you got through it. Next step - IDC!

If I may add my 0.02$, having just finnished up my DM course in the Philippines...

If you really want to be able to work there, I would strongly advise you to do a full Instructor course (IDC). Here is the basis of the oppinion that was formed after many a long discussion about this with knowledgeable people in the industry there.

As a divemaster, you'll be pretty much hired as a dive guide. That's all. So to be a good dive guide (and be an interesting candidate), you need to know the local dive sites like the back of your hand. That takes time and lots of money. And no, don't think for a minute they will hire (and pay) a newly graduated DM with the intention of letting him slowly build this experience! They want it now, and there are plenty of dive guides with experience out there... So either you'll need to spend 3 months there paying to dive, to gain the experience, or you just won't be interesting for hiring dive shops!

Now, Instructor is a different story. because even if you aren't the best dive guide out there (or you don't have sufficient experience yet), you can go to a pool or confined area and give courses (which is lucrative for the shop). So you can be usefull for a dive shop without the dive site knowledge of the locals. And then, all while being a good employe for the shop, you can learn the local sites and the fauna and also become a good dive guide! So doing the instructor course will greatly increase your chances of being hired in my oppinion.

As for the gear, watch out! Many shops want their instructors using the same gear as the shop. So buying in advance might be a bad idea if you are going to do the IDC course. Wait, and negociate equipment with the shop while shopping around for an internship.

Anyways, this is my oppinion on it! I wish you luck pursuing your dream!:coffee:

BabyD, I can't thank you enough for pointing me towards Divedojo and Ethei. It was an unforgettable experience. Not only for the high quality courses I got, but for the extraordinary people I met! Ethei's experience and teaching competence was so good I decided to do Advanced Nitrox and Decompression procedures as well! The divedojo is certainly one of Sabangs best kept secrets... Along with Lucas Italian restaurant near white beach.

Never in a million years would I have expected all that I got! great education, great diving, and most of all, great fiendship!

Cheers!:coffee:

CODMAN: CONGRATS.....reality is a bitch isn't it? Glad you got through it. Next step - IDC!

I fully agree with Codman, Ethei (Efren Robrigado) of DiveDojo is one of the best in the Philippines. if only Marmalade can follow your footstep, he will be in for a success!

Just hang out with OLE BABYD and you'll learn a thing or two about this wonderful business we're in.....now, having said that.....where did I put that other bootie?

<< Ethei (Efren Robrigado) of DiveDojo is one of the best in the Philippines. >>

I'll say Hi to Ethei for you when I dive with Dojo!

Hey anyone know abt the going all-inclusive rate for DiveMaster ( books, manuels, full rentals, PADI application fee etc.)

thxx

<< if only Marmalade can follow your footstep, he will be in for a success! >>

and btw, how do you know I am a "HE"????

what abt....let's say I am a transsexual? *muahHH*

<< if only Marmalade can follow your footstep, he will be in for a success! >>

and btw, how do you know I am a "HE"????

what abt....let's say I am a transsexual? *muahHH*
good thing Pak is taken then...

Please do! I miss the gang at Divedojo tremendously! Oh, and he doesn't know about my CODMAN internet Handle, so just tell him Simon from Canada says hi!

As far as I know, the going rate I've seen (while shopping) is around 850$, including manuals, but not including the DM application fee. I've seen more expensive... and I've seen cheaper... I think the main interest is getting 2 things: 1- an instructor who has experience and will give you a good course, and 2- a decent price (I've seen all the way up to 1200$). Oh, and obviously, doing it in the area you want to work in is an added bonus since it will give you experience there...

Cheers!

<< Ethei (Efren Robrigado) of DiveDojo is one of the best in the Philippines. >>

I'll say Hi to Ethei for you when I dive with Dojo!

Hey anyone know abt the going all-inclusive rate for DiveMaster ( books, manuels, full rentals, PADI application fee etc.)

thxx

I'm really sorry for all the questions I'm asking ( and I am sure there are a lot more on the way ). I really appreciated all of your input.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I am now leaning more and more towards doing DM + IDC + IE in PG and as I am on a budget, do you think I can have all these courses ( including book fees, full-rentals, PADI application fees and any other incidental costs ) covered under USD$ 4500??

As for the 6-weeks-long cost of living, do you think it's possible to have that handled at USD$500 or less? Or is it too tight a budget?

Any input from the PPDers would be muchly welcome!

Salamay!:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom